Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2009, 14:21   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

maybe have a chat with your freind - explain it could be worse, boat may have been bought by someone who left her tied to the dock slowly detiorating..........whereas she is instead being appreciated by and bringing joy to others.

I know which I would choose........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 17:46   #17

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
"What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 18:27   #18

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Always found it impossible to change other peoples' minds, when I haven't been willing to change my own.

Perhaps remind your friend that the boat was given its name as a celebration of his children's lives, and that whenever he sees her he remembers all the happy events, and the family's good times together.

As said, he has no rights. The main options are to change his perspective or to negotiate a deal with the new owner. And the new owner is probably wondering "What on earth is going on here?"
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 18:34   #19

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
If I was selling a boat these days and lucky enough to find a buyer the very last thing I'd worry about is whether the name was changed or not.
Having said that everyone does have a right to their feelings, maybe offer to buy the Dom Perignion for the renaming ceremony if the new owner agrees.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 19:42   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Is there anything he can do? Is there a superstition that would override the above?
When it comes to superstitions there is a rule that says: If you are cheap enough to not want to pay to change the name of a boat then it is bad luck to do so. It's universal.

Some times reasonable people make accommodations and exceptions. Given it is a local situation there must some social pressures that might sway the boat owner to reconsider. The easier alternative would be to tell your friend - You are absolved! The curse has passed to someone Else's now. Let them suffer a horrible death in peace. They are neighbors and you can watch them suffer until they decide otherwise. Often revenge overcomes superstition. The only thing stronger is greed. He could pay to have the name changed. Beyond that my feeling is he isn't that upset about it. Drama is a an end result too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 21:20   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
When is Halloween coming up? ....pay a few enterprising kids...etc...etc..etc
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 21:59   #22

Boat: 25' Coronada - Seileaster
I can empathize. I owned a red MGB and miss it. Every time I see one I get nostalgic. I should ask all owners of red MGB's to repaint it.

Perhaps he can sell his cabin and move to another lake. Really does he recognize the boat and get weepy or has to see the actual name. Quick solution...stop sitting on the dock looking for his old boat.
canuck1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 05:54   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
As it may relate to Canadian law, here in the U.S. the only viable way in which anyone can control the name right would be contractually by stipulating the desire to retain right to the name in the Purchase and Sales Contract. I infer the owner did not have the foresight to do so upon sale of the boat. If that is in fact the case, he retains no right to the name nor can he bar a subsequent owner from any right to ownership of the boat, including it's name.
It was a condition of sale on my boat that the name be changed. I was fine with that, as I wanted to change it anyway.
Old 24-07-2009, 06:28   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Am not selling my boat, but as now named after me late Missus would feel a bit sad (if not miffed) should her name get changed by a later owner.

Of course not to say I won't ever rename her again myself even I can see that a boat named after a dead wife might not be an easy sell if I get to looking for "crew" .........even without her picture, complete with trademark sh#t eating grin , dominating the saloon. Wimin can be funny like that

Folk have strange ideas sometimes. mostly in their head
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 09:03   #25

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Sure are some strange folk about.

Some people have real issues and tragedies to deal with in their lives, like the guys being killed and maimed in Afghan and iraq
Old 24-07-2009, 12:33   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Big girl panties...Yeah, and doesn't the Canadian National Health include meds for situations like this?

Of course, renaming the children and moving to a far distant province would probably also work.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 13:28   #27

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
"What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
I think if you substitute rose with a word like rectum, portajohn, slaughterhouse or autopsy you might be struck but just ridiculous that statement is.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 13:36   #28

The seller could look at it as being a positive thing. I suppose some sellers would be mad IF the owner changed the name! The "kids" are out there on the water with the boat.... how wonderful!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 13:39   #29

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
I think if you substitute rose with a word like rectum, portajohn, slaughterhouse or autopsy you might be struck but just ridiculous that statement is.
Im not sure Billy Shakespeare would agree
Old 24-07-2009, 13:50   #30

Boat: Sceptre 41
I rememer a story and don't know if it is true. Perhaps some of our Aussie friends could verify this. There is a gentleman who has campaigned a series of boats named "Bumblebee" When he sells the boat he makes it a condition of sale that the name of the boat is changed. Of course everyone reffered to the new owners boats as the "Ex-Bumblebee" so one purchaser changed the name of the boat from Bumblebee to "Ex-bumblebee" Technically a name change. Well they went to court over it and the new owner relented and changed the name. Has anyone ever heard this story?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote