Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 19:48   #31

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter
Re: Can This Be Repaired?

I guess someone is starting to learn why his name is KeelMe...I guess KillMe was taken.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 19:49   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think I would want to heat it if I were going to try to bend it back straight, cause if you don’t, it’s possible it could crack and the next time it fails, it busts all of a sudden as opposed to bending, maybe.

BTW, Ken explained he was replacing it, and the difficulties he was having doing so.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 19:56   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think I would want to heat it if I were going to try to bend it back straight, cause if you don’t, it’s possible it could crack and the next time it fails, it busts all of a sudden as opposed to bending, maybe.

BTW, Ken explained he was replacing it, and the difficulties he was having doing so.
Since it's basically just a guide and normally shouldn't be under a downward load if the winch is wrapped properly, I'm now thinking a repair might be the answer then see how it works out. Since I have access to an automotive machine shop, may as well give it a try.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 20:06   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kitchens View Post
I guess someone is starting to learn why his name is KeelMe...I guess KillMe was taken.
I've found this forum to be a wealth of knowledge and a great source for meeting up with new friends in anchorages in remote places.

Some have not yet figured it out, and then others... seem to be slow learners.
Old 07-11-2018, 20:16   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The winch wasn't overloaded, there were only three or four wraps on the winch when I sheeted in the yankee in what I thought were light winds of maybe 12-15 knots. As the wraps tightened, the wraps pulled (were drawn) downward towards the base of the winch under great force which resulted in deforming the guide arm to the angle of pull. Now I know to wrap the winch at least six times so the guide arm will be at the correct angle when under load.

Judging by the other respondents.... I'm not the first one to have this happen, we learn something new every day.
Thank you for the clarification. I get it now.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 20:20   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FecklessDolphin View Post
First figured out exactly where it bent. Then put in bench vice and hammered. Mine is a Lewmar ocean series 30, smaller but same concept. The guys it Lewmar actually recommend it
Thank you, I'll try doing that. It might be a week or so until I fetch it from the boat.
Old 07-11-2018, 20:22   #37

FWIW, I don’t understand the responses re “just get a new one” because it’s a nice boat. If it can be fixed, it should be fixed, not tossed out and replaced. Enough of this throwaway culture cr*p.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 20:34   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
FWIW, I don’t understand the responses re “just get a new one” because it’s a nice boat. If it can be fixed, it should be fixed, not tossed out and replaced. Enough of this throwaway culture cr*p.
We always fix or rebuild whenever possible, and usually do it ourselves.

Examples: We had the A/c pump quit on us last Spring and discovered that a OEM CruiseAir replacement would cost $1300-$1600 and we'd need to wait 6 weeks to receive it. Instead, I drove 15 miles up to a small electric motor rebuild shop in New Hampshire, had the electric motor portion of the pump tested, then the technician sold me a brand new replacement electric motor for $275... the pump half was fine, one day service. He then directed me to another local repair shop which repaired a DC hydraulic motor for $200 instead of us having to buy a new one from Lewmar for $2500. This also saved us a two month wait for the Lewmar replacement.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:18   #39

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
I'm sorry. You are right.

Can this be repaired?
I know one professional I won't be hiring.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:30   #40

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
In general, I quite agree with this. Generally, castings are quite brittle. I was thinking about what happens when it breaks and how when heavy metal bits on boats start flying on boats, human flesh is pretty fragile. To me, this one is a safety issue for loved ones and guests, Ken would be risking.

Normally I am in the repair it group of us, even for outside the box repairs, but I think when a flying bit can blind someone, then prudence dictates replacing it, rather than depending on good luck. Ymmv.

Ann
Old 08-11-2018, 11:46   #41

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

KeelMe,

I had one of those same devices break on me in the same place!
You're probably devastated over the loss of your favorite item, but don't worry ! I fixed mine as you can see below.

Being a Professional Marine Electronics Technician, I'm pretty sure you will be able to fix yours as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1455.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	180343  

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:59   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I think the stripper arm is cast bronze, with a chrome finish. I have bent them on occasion when someone has put too few wraps on the drum, and then has used the self-tailer to excess. The downward force results in what you have.

I put an adjustable end wrench (Crescent wrench) on the lowest part and gently pulled in the correct direction. The arm was re-aligned and no damage done.

This is a great reason to explain to your crew about the importance of loading up the drum with turns of line (at least four) so the stripping arm doesn't see downward forces.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 13:03   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
I think the stripper arm is cast bronze, with a chrome finish. I have bent them on occasion when someone has put too few wraps on the drum, and then has used the self-tailer to excess. The downward force results in what you have.

I put an adjustable end wrench (Crescent wrench) on the lowest part and gently pulled in the correct direction. The arm was re-aligned and no damage done.

This is a great reason to explain to your crew about the importance of loading up the drum with turns of line (at least four) so the stripping arm doesn't see downward forces.

Chuck
I have a vice at home and a jumbo crescent wrench, I’ll try this suggestion first. Thanks
Old 08-11-2018, 13:52   #44
cruiser

I just found a new guide arm online for only $62, so looks like I’m going with new.
Old 08-11-2018, 13:54   #45

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

And I'd like to thank all of the guys who said it can safely be bent. Lewmar has to be aware of liability issues, and if they recommend repairing, as well as Chuck Hawley, whom I have a number of reasons to respect, well then, I'll admit is must be safe!

Cheers, all,

Ann