Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 03:01   #46

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Can I Sail Away In 2018?

Buying in your home market is usually preferred.

You speak the language, you are accustom with the applicable law and tax situation, no overseas money transfers. Visiting the boat is easier, also getting quotes for modifications and repairs.

You can be there during the whole process of buying and refitting and still have you home / business running until you are ready for takeoff.

As I read your post, you have the money for buying and comfortable living on board for a while. Why hurry then, just buy the boat, enjoy it, refit it and then drop the lines. You can sell your business when having a good offer, same for the house. You even can rent it and create passive income for a while until you are sure you never want to get back.

Just relax and go step by step.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:42   #47

Thank you fior your feedback .. the situation is , we want to sell the home sbd business first , before purchasing a boat .. who know how long it can take to sell.. so we don’t want a boat sitting somewhere, accruing dock fees, until we are ready ..
concern again
Is the market being upside down .. we are going to
Boat show in Miami next month to talk to
Some brokers .. we will get a better feel of things then ..
Padastty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:25   #48

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Buying in your home market is usually preferred.

You speak the language, you are accustom with the applicable law and tax situation, no overseas money transfers. Visiting the boat is easier, also getting quotes for modifications and repairs.

You can be there during the whole process of buying and refitting and still have you home / business running until you are ready for takeoff.

As I read your post, you have the money for buying and comfortable living on board for a while. Why hurry then, just buy the boat, enjoy it, refit it and then drop the lines. You can sell your business when having a good offer, same for the house. You even can rent it and create passive income for a while until you are sure you never want to get back.

Just relax and go step by step.
About the sanest post I've read.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 18:31   #49

I just sold everything and bought a boat myself. Moving the wife and kids onboard. We figured this is our one chance at life. Better take advantage. Put it in charter with a company. Already have four bookings. That alone pays for the mortgage for a year. Already feels like a fun and good decision. Glad we did it. For what it’s worth.
Old 08-01-2018, 18:33   #50

“who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” Hunter S Thompson.
Old 08-01-2018, 19:24   #51

@elvikingo

We would love to talk
With you more .. who is your boat in charter with ?
Padastty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 20:20   #52

We are up in Washington state. The boat is with Anacortes Yacht Charter. It’s 20 years old but already had a following. Owners are selling all the time and often you can buy the boat that is already being chartered. Then you have a clientele already and your making money. We are going to liveaboard so I have had to actually close some dates. Good problem to have. Our boat is a 50 foot Beneteau Oceanis. We really like it. Moving aboard in June. My job can be a bit dangerous and I have had a couple close calls. This made my wife and I decide to just go for it. If we wait for that perfect time it may never happen. That’s just us though, won’t work for everybody I suppose. I’m done looking out from shore and dreaming.
Old 08-01-2018, 20:29   #53

How much sailing have you done? Have you taken ASA classes? That really helped me feel more comfortable. And it was super fun. I’m sending my wife through the classes as well. It will help her feel more comfortable for sure. Plus, my boat is bigger than what I’m used too so I will need the help for sure.

Tags
sail