Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2011, 14:40   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy

This is correct. I am dual British and Canadian, but the boat's "all Canadian" and is federally registered by name...meaning I do not in fact have a "boat number" or license number on display at all. Only if I transferred the registry to Britain (and that's not likely!) would I be entitled to fly the Red Duster.

Note that the Red Duster (civilian ensign for British boats) is NOT a courtesy flag, although I've seen it enough as such. The Union flag would be flown from the starboard spreader halyard of a sloop-rigged vessel (and it's possible to get it upside down!).

I have never seen an objection to flying other flags beneath this courtesy flag, like maybe the Welsh or Scots or even the EU flags, as long as the Union flag is on top when visiting British ports.

The same would apply to any "dualie", I would think. The exception in Britain is that serving (and perhaps retired) members of the various armed forces can opt for those respective ensigns on their privately owned yachts.
This is not correct the Union flag is never outside of military vessels used as a courtesy. The correct courtesy flag is the civilian maritime ensign. Goverment. Ships should fly the appropriate defaced ensigns.

The UK along with Ireland also has many approved yacht club ensigns. These ate valid once worn with the appropriate club burgee and the club member is aboard.

Dave
Old 31-01-2011, 15:36   #32

Boat: Able 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This is not correct the Union flag is never outside of military vessels used as a courtesy. The correct courtesy flag is the civilian maritime ensign. Goverment. Ships should fly the appropriate defaced ensigns.

The UK along with Ireland also has many approved yacht club ensigns. These ate valid once worn with the appropriate club burgee and the club member is aboard.

Dave

Authority ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:39   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
well I just know it, but on the net

www.flags.net/UNKG.htm

Courtesy Flags

RED ENSIGN, COURTESY FLAGS & FLAG-STAFFS

http://www.yosc.org.uk/flagetiquette.pdf ( interesting summary , Uk courtsey flag issue mid way down

It has always been explained to me that is the case

Ps the same is true in Italy which has a specific Civil Ensign, this is what is properly flown as a courtesy flag

Dave

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 12:31   #34

Re: Can I Fly a State Flag ?

I’m a native Texan and we have a great flag, but Unless the rules have changed (a la Maryland), state flags are reserved for state-owned boats, or doing state-business.

Otherwise they really aren’t to be flown on boats, except perhaps on a small staff at the bow of a powerboat.

Generally, flags on boat have to be conveying something…not flown just because you like the flag.
CMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 12:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
I’m a native Texan and we have a great flag, but Unless the rules have changed (a la Maryland), state flags are reserved for state-owned boats, or doing state-business.

Otherwise they really aren’t to be flown on boats, except perhaps on a small staff at the bow of a powerboat.

Generally, flags on boat have to be conveying something…not flown just because you like the flag.
Wow, resurrecting a REALLY OLD THREAD.

Reference:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D...tm/GV.3100.htm
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 12:51   #36

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Here in Québec you see a lot of boats flying the Québec flag instead of the Canadian flag at the transom. There's a quite substantial separatist movement here (altough it's lost momentum in the last few years), so "what's your country's flag" is a politically loaded question.

Yves Gélinas, inventor of the Cap Horn windvane, flew a Québec flag on his boat Jean-du-Sud during his solo circumnavigation. Apparently that's why his movie wasn't aired on CBC.
emilecantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 03:22   #37

US Power Squadron flag etiquette:

https://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#updated-code

Nutshell: courtesy flag at stbd spreader; boat country registry flag at stern; fun flag (state flag) at port spreader, lower than the courtesy flag.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 12:47   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
US Power Squadron flag etiquette:

https://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#updated-code

Nutshell: courtesy flag at stbd spreader; boat country registry flag at stern; fun flag (state flag) at port spreader, lower than the courtesy flag.
Exception to the above etiquette practices.

Re: Your Gin Flag.

Place it anywhere you wish to wear it, as everyone that is invited to board will not complain about its location. As those that don't arrive for the cocktail party, well disregard them.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote