Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 01:12   #46

Boat: Caprice 19'
Re: Can I exclusively motor a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreez View Post
Thanks for your help,

The boat im interested in buying like I said is a 1970s 26 Kingfisher , I have already seen the boat, its in Good condition,sound hull,just needs some cosmetic work here and there, tons of extras, 10Hp Bukh engine, runs good. Also Comes with back outboard bracket ,and a tender. its 1,500 British pounds or about $2,000

The Guy wants to sell because he is tired of paying for high slip fees and doesn't use it as much as he thought he would, however I have a place to keep it moored elsewhere for 150.00 per year,

Is this boat a good deal? Any advise?

Go for it before he changes his mind!
nockerwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 05:22   #47

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreez View Post
Thanks for your help,

The boat im interested in buying like I said is a 1970s 26 Kingfisher , I have already seen the boat, its in Good condition,sound hull,just needs some cosmetic work here and there, tons of extras, 10Hp Bukh engine, runs good. Also Comes with back outboard bracket ,and a tender. its 1,500 British pounds or about $2,000

The Guy wants to sell because he is tired of paying for high slip fees and doesn't use it as much as he thought he would, however I have a place to keep it moored elsewhere for 150.00 per year,

Is this boat a good deal? Any advise?
A 45 year old boat for $2,000?

I paid that much for an eight foot inflatable dinghy not counting the outboard. $2,000 doesn't buy much of a boat. I would expect it to need a lot of work and that's going to cost you.

Unless they have been well maintained, 45 year old boats are near or past their intended lifecycle and become liabilities. At some point you have to pay someone to haul a worthless boat away.

I would be very wary of a $2,000 boat and if you're serious, pay for a survey to find out what you're getting into.
Old 26-02-2016, 06:36   #48

Boat: Caprice 19'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
A 45 year old boat for $2,000?

I paid that much for an eight foot inflatable dinghy not counting the outboard. $2,000 doesn't buy much of a boat. I would expect it to need a lot of work and that's going to cost you.

Unless they have been well maintained, 45 year old boats are near or past their intended lifecycle and become liabilities. At some point you have to pay someone to haul a worthless boat away.

I would be very wary of a $2,000 boat and if you're serious, pay for a survey to find out what you're getting into.
Rhubarb! Most of the boats in our club are that age and one circumnavigated the UK last year
nockerwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:26   #49

Okay, here is the situation, that King fisher deal fell through, the owner would not allow us to keep the boat in the slip for anymore then 3 weeks, even though it was paid for, we needed more time. Also, he was saying that he would not recommend us to motor the boat to our mooring , I thought that sounded abit weird, Overall the boat was just not for us.

So now I have in my sights a Westerly Centaur 26, with a 2008 Volvo Diesel

Needs a good clean and some paint.

But the owner has told me there are signs of water seepage around her keel bolts. He informs me that the seepage appears to be slight. And tightening alone might fix it.

If the keel had to be re-bedded how much would that cost? And is it a big deal?

Thanks again
evidence of sea-water seepage around her keel bolts - See more at: Westerly Centaur B Layout for sale, 7.95m (26'1"), 1974 | Boatshed Wales
evidence of sea-water seepage around her keel bolts - See more at: Westerly Centaur B Layout for sale, 7.95m (26'1"), 1974 | Boatshed Wales
Westerly Centaur
Westerly Centaur
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, sail, sailboat