Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 06:45   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Can I exclusively motor a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreez View Post
Thanks for your help,

The boat im interested in buying like I said is a 1970s 26 Kingfisher , I have already seen the boat, its in Good condition,sound hull,just needs some cosmetic work here and there, tons of extras, 10Hp Bukh engine, runs good. Also Comes with back outboard bracket ,and a tender. its 1,500 British pounds or about $2,000

The Guy wants to sell because he is tired of paying for high slip fees and doesn't use it as much as he thought he would, however I have a place to keep it moored elsewhere for 150.00 per year,

Is this boat a good deal? Any advise?

Really impossible to determine without seeing it and knowing the local market.
Here in the US, especially Florida there are tens of thousands of boats like that, little used, owner feels it cost more to keep than it's worth, everything from little boats to Super Yachts.
You have boat experience, go with your gut feeling, not your emotions.
Many will tell you get a survey, and that is always a good idea, but at some price point a survey cost a large portion of the price of the boat.
I'd say at least take a friend that knows sailboats and ask the owner to come along for a test sail, run the engine pretty hard for 10 min or so too to see if it will without overheating, smoking excessively etc., and hoist the sails, check the winches etc.

If it were me and everything looks good, have $1,500 in cash ready to give him, and don't be surprised if he takes it.
Here a boat with an inboard Diesel in good condition is hard to find for less than $2,000, but I have no idea about where you are.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:18   #17

Boat: Kingfisher K20

Greetings, I also have a Kingfisher...a K20.
They motor fairly comfortably.
The twin cast iron keels seem to reduce the rolling a bit.
SVrider44224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:22   #18

Boat: Grand Banks 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreez View Post
Can I exclusively motor a sailboat until I learn how to sail?
These people do:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0061.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	448.3 KB
ID:	119583  
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:22   #19

Well here in the UK from what I have seen your average 70s 26 footer yacht with good engine and accessories goes for between 2,500 to 5,500 British pounds

I have someone that knows abit about Sailing yachts that I will bring with me to have a second viewing

Thanks for your advise about the engine, and will have the seller run it abit longer next time and look out for what you outlined
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:38   #20

a64Pilot said it: 1 litre per hour at about 1,800 rpm. In an hour, assuming you bottom is clean and the water is not excessively lumpy you will go five nautical miles, i.e. your speed will be five knots.

I motor a LOT, just because where I am the wind is often non-existent at the height of the cruising season.

I don't know the Kingfisher, but as boats of this size are basically a commodity. I imagine the Kingfisher is rather the same as the Westerly Centaur. Good little boat for messing about in, and although the twin-keeled design has great merit in, say Norfolk, in Wales being able to take the ground without falling over is rather less important. The Centaur is great for long week-end forays by man and maid. So will the Kingfisher be. Not really big enuff for six months in the Irish Sea, but plenty seaworthy enuff for the job. Just a tad too small and confining for my liking.

The little Buhk is a good little engine and is worth fifteen hundred quid just as salvage. You get the boat for free :-)

You've had boats before, so you already know that it's never the buying of the boat that's a financial burden. It's the keeping of it.

I look at it this way: All hobbies cost money. The purchase price is a "sunk cost". A few cases of good wine gone down the drain. The annual cost of moorage and upkeep is the cost of your hobby. Ever tried breeding dogs? That's expensive too. But it's what you pay for having fun.

Others have said you'll come to prefer sailing to motoring. If you don't, then just dump the boat and stay on the dark side.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:38   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Be aware that a sailboat without it's sails up in any sort of sea will roll like a pig in mud. Pretty sure you'll be strongly considering moving your learning to sail milestones a lot closer to the present at that time.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I think the pig rolling about applies mostly to monohulls! Catamarans motor much nicer, obe motor easily gets you up to 7 knots cruising, only in extreme all elements against you moving forward situation will you need second engine! I know two engines two headaches, well the redundancy is very important, like going to sea with two outboards on a speedboat for safety. A cat also manoeuvers beautifully with two engines even turning on same spot. And the cat will be more economic on the engine fuel use as the cat, if not overloaded, will sit more on the water.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:46   #22
cruiser

...in the Florida keys people motor everywhere, some don't even have mast or the mast will be seen laying on the deck...

As long as you have a mast up on a keelboat, motor is acceptable to pretty much anyone, it's the sailors/sailboats without mast/erect mass that makes people cringe...
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancoombe View Post
Yes you can
No he can not! There are laws in England. If its a sailboat, you got to sail it.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:54   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

As far as rolling my IP without sails up rolls rather less I believe than the motor boats I've owned of a similar size, and the rolling period is slower, I assume to all the mass in both ends.
Usually though if there is enough waves to get me rolling, there is enough wind to sail so its a mute point.
I assumed this boat from what it sounded like was in fact a good deal, I just do not know the market over there.
What had me a little suspicious was you saying it had an outboard bracket fitted, people often do that when the inboard is toast, not saying this one is, but an outboard bracket would have me curious.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:59   #25

Boat: In between boat ownership

Motor out about two miles in light wind...turn on your sails and turn off the engine...listen carefully...you are sailing, good, bad or indifferent. Douse the sails, turn on the engine and repeat:-) Before you know it, engine is only a convenience and you are a sailorman!
bravenewworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 08:02   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
As far as rolling my IP without sails up rolls rather less I believe than the motor boats I've owned of a similar size, and the rolling period is slower, I assume to all the mass in both ends.
Usually though if there is enough waves to get me rolling, there is enough wind to sail so its a mute point.
I assumed this boat from what it sounded like was in fact a good deal, I just do not know the market over there.
What had me a little suspicious was you saying it had an outboard bracket fitted, people often do that when the inboard is toast, not saying this one is, but an outboard bracket would have me curious.
Many boaters here in the UK will put a spare on the back even when they have a brand new engine. When I lived in Florida didn't see that so much, we use to go 10 miles offshore with just our old 225 Johnson and not think anything of it,however I will definitely take what said into consideration
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 08:07   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravenewworld View Post
Motor out about two miles in light wind...turn on your sails and turn off the engine...listen carefully...you are sailing, good, bad or indifferent. Douse the sails, turn on the engine and repeat:-) Before you know it, engine is only a convenience and you are a sailorman!
Good advice, but one better: After getting out two mile, turn off engine, open a beer, unwrap a sandwich, and relax while you drift along for an hour or so. Then restart engine, head home.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 08:07   #28

I met a chap in Naples florida that motored a mastless Cal 25 down the Mississippi from Chicago then across the Gulf. Cut off the keel, or part if it ? and added cement in the hull keel stub. Outboard engine. He was truly enjoying doing the" Great Loop "
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 08:09   #29

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

It's not hard to learn to sail, especially with your powerboat years experience behind you.... it's only the sails, tacking, wind strategy.

Most of us sailors nearly always put our sails up when motoring (unless wind is really blowing from unfavorable direction to course such as strongly head on). I do this even with nearly no wind because the sails act as a 'flopper- stopper' especially in a busy channel/ rough water. Also improves visibility of your boat.

Seriously, it will only take a good read of basic sailing book, maybe an hour or so with an experience sailor aboard to explain/ show you the finer elements to sailing... then it's just being out with the sails up & practice & trying things until it's automatic. Hate the title, but 'Sailing for Dummies' is actually a very good text/ illustrations.

Having working masthead wind instruments is a nice crutch at first but not really necessary. Obviously best to start with light/ moderate air, but don't shun heavier air too long... it's a different set of sail handling & safety considerations. It's a must I do with with my students because sooner or later every sailor ends up in bad wx conditions and really needs the experience and confidence with handling sails and safety procedure in heavy air plus required equipment, putting drop boards down, safety lanyards, ...) before hand. Assuming you will do a lot of singlehanding, the one piece of advice I strongly share... stay ahead of the situation, i.e. get sails reefed or down long ahead of necessary time and engine started long before necessary. Wind gusts/ knockdowns can occur way ahead of the apparent storm. Also, another thing I wish someone had told me before learning the hard way. Which applies equally to power & sail... when returning to port/ dock... always test that you have a working reverse out in clear water while you still can do something about it... don't wait until you are 10 feet from dock and beefing to slow down/ stop!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 08:12   #30

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Take the current owner or a friend with sailing experience out for your maiden voyage.
As a bilge keeler she may be quick to heel to a point then become quite stable. She will not be a great performer upwind. Once you get use to the idea that she's not going to capsize even while rounding up and scooping a ton of seawater into the cockpit, you will gain the confidence to want to sail her everywhere.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, sail, sailboat