Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-03-2015, 04:16   #16

Boat: Camper Nicholson 31
Re: Camper Nicholson 31

Thanks again 58, I briefly viewed the forum pics on the rebuild however it is a totally different set up. Its the gudgeon and pintles that I am qurious about for mine, but I will certainly surf through the forum.

Old 28-02-2016, 04:37   #17

Hello! I've just bought a Nicholson 31. In the yard atm but looking to get on the water soon. Based Medway GB. Saw your YouTube, Showa, of Newfoundland trip with ice...very nice.

Old 29-02-2016, 05:38   #18

Hello Bobarris, congratulations on your purchase
We purchased Showa in 2012 and feel very fortunate that such a noble sailboat happened to come our way.
Yes thanks for viewing the pics. I also recently added a video, "sailing to Knights Island".
When I was searching for info on the Nic31 there wasn't much to view so I figured I would capture some pics/videos and post for future reference.
There is an association forum but unfortunately it is not used by members very much.
I think you will find her to be a pleasure to sail especially in a stiff breeze, 20-25 knt with one reef in I find to be her sweet spot. On the down side she is a pig when backing up!!

Whats your hull # and name of boat?
Old 15-03-2016, 20:25   #19

I just wanted to cast my lot into this conversation. I have 1968 Mark VI Nic' 32, usually here in Casco Bay, Maine. I've owned her since 97, and she is my pride, though I must admit I'm starting to look at more modern boats (i.e. beamier) with the idea of longer periods aboard. It will be hard to replace her, since she's fast and comfortable, and stands up when the wind is cranking (her North Sea heritage...)

She came across the Atlantic on her own bottom with her original owners (Jyll and Derrick Humber, hence her original name: 'Jylder") and spent some time in the Carrib before making her way to NE. It's said that Blondie Hasler and Sir Francis used to 'cocktail' aboard her, and a previous owner, Theobold Sprague, recently did a Northwest Passage in a motor yacht.

I've kept her well, with ongoing improvements and maintainence, culminating in this winter's project, having the hull and deck Awlgriped by the guy who used to run the paint shop for Hinckley and Morris yachts. She'll be a treat on the eyes, when I get her back this spring...

There is at least one Nic 31 in the area, but I don't know of any other 32's in Maine. There are several 35's and a 39 or two on the coast, and there's talk of a Nic rendezvous this summer, perhaps near Camden/ Rockland. All are welcome to come, and if there are any others out there interested in attending, contact me, and I'll let you know what I hear about dates, etc...

They are great boats, though i might be a little prejudiced....

Scott
Old 29-04-2016, 12:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
Hello Bobarris, congratulations on your purchase
We purchased Showa in 2012 and feel very fortunate that such a noble sailboat happened to come our way.
Yes thanks for viewing the pics. I also recently added a video, "sailing to Knights Island".
When I was searching for info on the Nic31 there wasn't much to view so I figured I would capture some pics/videos and post for future reference.
There is an association forum but unfortunately it is not used by members very much.
I think you will find her to be a pleasure to sail especially in a stiff breeze, 20-25 knt with one reef in I find to be her sweet spot. On the down side she is a pig when backing up!!

Whats your hull # and name of boat?
Hello again Showa
Sorry about the delay in replying. My Nic 31 Hull number is 106, and her (current) name is 'Postboy'. I say 'current' because I'm not exactly enamoured with it. Apparently the original owner was a postboy at the Times newspaper in London. 'Prospero' is winning at the moment for a new name - I'm a bit of a Shakespeare nut...the Tempest...age and wisdom, and so on...
Anyway, I'm planning to launch next week after a few months in the yard after purchase last November, and I can't wait to get sailing in her. There doesn't seem much to attend to at the moment, but I expect that the shakedown weekend all reveal all sorts of things to be done, and consequently requests for advice from more experienced owners. I'm also now registered on the Nic 31 Association site, which seems to have been a bit quiet lately, partly due to the passing of the Hon Sec.
Anyhow, I look forward to hearing more about your adventures. Showa's videos are really good, and I look forward to more of them, too.
Regards
Bob
Old 05-05-2016, 12:24   #21

Hey Bob, thought you liquidated everything and left port!!
Thanks for the comment on the videos, trying to promote the mother land and of course the Nic.
Started up a few threads on the association site , starting to get some movement again hopefully owners will come to life somewhat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: