Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2009, 17:39   #1

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
Camera Suggestions

I know I have seen some threads on camera's but I don't seem to have much luck searching for threads.

Rusty and I have a small Kodak point and shoot camera that does ok but we would like a better camera. I want to learn how to do some photography on our trip. I would appreciate any input from cruisers with some first hand experience with camera that hold up to the cruising/beach lifestyle.

Thanks,

Linda
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 18:11   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Hi Linda...I'll take a stab at it.

Nothing beats an Digital SLR for quality and versatility..and once you get use to it I will argue the size is alot of times to your benefit...easier to hold which makes it steadier, lens and filter choices, not as easy to loose by leaving it on a bar or restaurant table because "you didn't see it".... I could go on.

Negatives are expensive rather lost or damaged...cant put in pocket or purse ( well some purses anyway..somewhat heavy.

So I have both......a pocket digital and a DSLR...I wont separate them by calling one a so called "point and shoot" camera and not the other...I don't know of one DSLR that you can not point and shoot on the market.

As far as brands ..you cant go wrong with either Canon or Nikon in the DSLR or a lot of the Canons, Panasonics, Upper level Kodak's in the pocket cameras or just about any of them over 150 bucks....You can even get water proof now around 300.

Edit: Just a couple points ...Buying a DSLR..get one that will take video as well....Buying a Digital pocket camera, buy one that still has a viewfinder as well..bright sun is a pain to use the LCD screen in.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 18:35   #3

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Here, I'll help you: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...use-32057.html

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 18:47   #4

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
I just bought the Canon D10, which will go underwater to 10 meters. This was after a 'damp' landing in our dinghy that ruined our Sony Cyber-Shot. The photographs are very good but it does not allow for the flexibility or creativity that a DSLR offers. However, I have found that many times the best photographs just require being at the right place at the right time with a camera in hand.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 18:50   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
YEP! that should go with out saying.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 19:00   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
If you want to stay with a point and shoot, I found the canon powershot to be much better than the Kodak.

I have two Canon Rebel SLRs and have been extremely happy with them. Nikon also makes many good SLRs. If you get a SLR, get a polarizing filter for cruising.

All the images of the Bahamas on this website I just started were taken with the basic canon SLR for reference.

bahamasmariner

I did a review of about 6 cameras i've owned in this thread, where you will find many other related posts as well:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...e-29174-3.html
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 21:40   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
I recently bought an Olympus Stylus Tough 8000. It's a digital point-and-shoot, submersible to 10 meters, shock proof from over a 6' drop, can be frozen to 14°, has image stabilization, lots of presets for underwater shots, including a macro setting as well as all of the usual bells and whistles found on topside point-and-shoot cameras. At 12 megapixels, the resolution is astounding. Best $300 I've spent in a long time.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 01:29   #8

Fully agree, Olympus underwater are worth every single Dollar or whatever
currency. Have the same, just great.

But for fully equipment it needs annother maybe not waterproof camera
like Nikon f.e. DS 90. Has the best test results at least here in Germany
and can make small films as well. That's my tip.
lampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 03:17   #9

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
First a few caveats.
A camera does not make you a photographer, just like a typewriter does not make someone a writer. So even though you think your Kodak doesn't take good pictures, it is more likely the operator. My assistant has taken some great photos with her Kodak point and shoot.

It is amazing the capabilities that current cameras have, so read you manual throughly!

You must have weather sealing for the camera to last on a boat.

2 ways to go (maybe 3).

If you want to get more serious about your photography and have a few extra bucks, get the Canon 7D. Has HD video, is weather sealed, and a DSLR.

If you just want a good point and shoot that is technically good and is weather sealed (can go down 10ft) I would recommend Panasonic TS1. Also does video.

Or you can get the new Canon G11. A great camera for a point and shoot type. Photojournalists use these when they don't want to look conspicuous. Even though they are not weather proof, the cost is a 1/3 of the 7D, so you can buy 3. I figure a non weather proof camera will last about 1-3 years on a boat. Depending on how many times you get splashed with salt water.

An excellent site for camera reviews and related forums go to Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

FYI I have been a pro photographer for 35 years, and a sailor even longer.
Old 29-11-2009, 04:10   #10
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I am on my second, and last, Olympus Stylus SW. I had a 770, and now a 1030. The 770 failed after a year. The 1030 is starting to go now. I bought them because they are rugged, and supposedly waterproof. the waterproof part fails. For no apparant reason, they just start fogging up. Second thing to start going seems to be the USB port. Stops working. Both models. They ARE rugged, at least.

the menu is lousy, and the telephoto function has yet to produce a usable photo on either one of them. I was very glad to see a few other manufacturers coming out with 'waterproof', shock resistant pocket digitals. I am probably going to try the Canon next. I have had good luck with Canons over the years. Have owned four Olympus cameras in my life, and regretted every one of them.
Old 29-11-2009, 05:43   #11

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Olympus 1030

Olympus is simple, fairly waterproof and easy to carry. Love mine!

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 06:38   #12

Boat: Hunter 41 - "Son of a Sailor"
For consideration, the Pentax W80: Waterproof to 16 feet, shockproof, <$270 AND has HD quality video. Con is that it has so many features (WAY beyond point and shoot) that the owner's manual is 260 pages.
Old 29-11-2009, 06:51   #13

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
I recently bought the Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 after reading a review Boat US did. So far no complaints. Handy and easy to use...my $ .02
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 07:21   #14

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Just a few thoughts on waterproof cameras for underwater use:

You will loose a great deal of potential shots if the camera:

1. Has shutter lag (most fish don't like holding a pose)

2. Does not have a reasonable strobe/flash.

3. Isn't even rated as deep as you can snorkel (more to potential accidental damage)

I have an underwater point and shoot. I have a few shots from it, I'm pleased with, but for every good shot, I feel like I lost 50 compared to what I would have had with a better camera. I wouldn't make that decision again, but it all depends on what your priorities are.

A note on point and shoots in general. These are the disadvantages that most affect me when using them:

1. Much poorer optical quality and no choice of lenses.

2. Shutter lag

3. Inability to use lens filters

4. Limited user control: It's harder to bracket, choose your optimum shutter speed, depth of field, etc.

5. Resolution. (though I feel quite appropriate for their quality)

How important these things are will depend on the user, the subject matter, the conditions and the method of image display.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 11:35   #15

Boat: a sailing boat
A jump from Kodak P&S to a DSLR would be a big one. Probably best look for a waterproof digital P&S, there are some from Canon, Pentax, Olympus, i.a..

Look up dpreview - they have a test od some recent ones.

If water/dust-proofness is not an issue go for something from Canon IS or G- series - the Gs have very good photo quality while the IS have very decent video. Something for everybody.

I have a 7 y.o Canon G3 and it shines. Would get a G11 myself if were to replace.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera