Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-02-2013, 08:23   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
California Sailing

There isn't a topic where California comes up that it dosent get a bad rap from its property taxes, to its boat registration..
But I set here this morning, 2/8/13, doing alittle work on the rigging,and watching the news , the gulfcoast is getting hammered, the biggest storm in 10 years is hitting the north east (sorry guys) and I'm planning to go sailing this weekend..
Or maybe a short trip to the slopes for some fresh powder..
Love this California Weather,

Old 08-02-2013, 08:39   #2
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: California Sailing

I'll be out there this weekend as well. Nothing beats a February sail.

We've actually been off the boat for two weeks while the interior has gotten a new coat of varnish. Heading back aboard this afternoon to bolt everything back to its proper space.

Hope I remember how to sail after such a long break.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I hailed out of San Diego for a long time; I loved it.

It had it's problems, but honestly I think at an unconscious level all the haters are just jealous. Better weather, better looking people, longer seasons, and unlike the east coast we can actually surf for real. Smaller tidal ranges too.

It has its problems and I cringe at people who stop in San Diego not knowing what to expect or what to do: it and the other South-of-Point-Conception mainland harbors are brutal for visiting yachts in terms of regulation and cost. If you know the places and have it figured out, not so much of a problem.

619 for life.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:32   #4

I can see the charms, but you don't have any harbors! Seriously, there are less places to go between the coast of Washington and Mexico then there are within a day sail of where I keep my boat on Narragansett Bay. And, not many gunkholing opportunities where you can anchor in a little bay all by yourself watching the sunset. That may be one reason there are so many great voyagers from California--you have all year to work on your boats, and then once you get the skills you have the itch to use them and so you head off over the horizon to get to better cruising grounds.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Clalifornia is Beautiful for sure. I've lived and worked there in the past. when I visit now, the coast, Yosemite, the Redwoods, etc just blow me away. Having said that, I always wondered about the benefits of having a sailboat there... there seem so few destinations except "head out to sea". In the PNW, there are too many coastal /inland destinations to ever visit! Now if we could just buy some of your sunshine!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:04   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
the gulfcoast is getting hammered,
Say what? I'm about 80 miles from the Gulf Coast of FL and it's 78 degrees, sunny and calm. Weather.com reports about the same just a couple degrees cooler right on the coast.

Quote:
the biggest storm in 10 years is hitting the north east (sorry guys)
Now that I go along with. Daughter is in MA and will probably need her 4WD to get to work. She's on MV so may not get the potential 2' that might hit Boston but she's expecting 10-15".

Quote:
Love this California Weather,
This I cannot argue with. Winter time it's a toss up but FL in the summer is nasty hot and humid. CA is pleasant, sometimes almost cool, especially in the Bay area.

So just as soon as I win the lottery and can afford it I'm moving out there.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:12   #7

I just love these types of posts. Keep hatin' California: it keeps our slip rates down.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:20   #8

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

I was stationed in San Diego (32nd St. Naval Station) from 1982 to 1985. I loved the weather! I didn't own a boat during that time, but often sailed aboard other people's boats.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 13:31   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I can see the charms, but you don't have any harbors! Seriously, there are less places to go between the coast of Washington and Mexico then there are within a day sail of where I keep my boat on Narragansett Bay. And, not many gunkholing opportunities where you can anchor in a little bay all by yourself watching the sunset. That may be one reason there are so many great voyagers from California--you have all year to work on your boats, and then once you get the skills you have the itch to use them and so you head off over the horizon to get to better cruising grounds.
It's no joke. The anchorages in the offshore California islands can be a challenge and "protected areas" are a joke. Nearly everything but the big bays (which there's what, a half a dozen on the entire coast?) can turn to crap in a few hours. Toss in tsunami exposure to the south and crazy tides to the north (pnw) and you're living life!

I rib east coast guys all the time who make a big deal of doing the ICW and then doing the tiny ass 100 miles from Florida to the Bahamas.

To get to the tropics from California, you need to do about 15x that distance with a total of three all weather bays, all separated by hundreds of miles.

WEST COAST IS BEST COAST!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 13:44   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I rib east coast guys all the time who make a big deal of doing the ICW and then doing the tiny ass 100 miles from Florida to the Bahamas.
Even tinier than that, not even close to 100 miles. From Miami sea buoy to the channel at Bimini I think is only 46 miles. People have done it pretty regularly on 20' outboard CC fishing boats, even ski boats, Hobie Cats and jet skis. Can't figure out why it's considered such a big leap.
Old 08-02-2013, 13:53   #11

Quote:
Yep, it's true that one can gunkhole from Canada to the Bahamas, and never spend a night offshore if you want to. And, you could do it for 10 years straight and never repeat the same harbors if you wanted to! I own a lot of the old classic cruising books and it is interesting how often it seems that the person's first big trip is to Hawaii or offshore to the Marquesas.

Tags
california, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: