Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2017, 17:19   #1

Buying my first boat

Hello all!

This is my first post on here and I am looking for a little info as I am looking to buy my first boat.

I am most likely going to be on the Chesapeake and am looking for a Catalina in the 27-30 ft range.

I'm not having any problem finding boats to look at but am wondering if anyone has a surveyor in the northern Ches area that they would recommend and also if anyone has a ball park price of what I would expect to pay for this service?

Also if anyone is aware of some common problems with these boats to be aware of as I take a look at different boats on my own so that I can weed the bad ones out before I go to far along with deal.

Also if you have any other suggestions on good northern Ches Bay cruising boats that would be appreciated as well.
I'm looking for shoal draft and something comfortable and safe to take my family (wife and 2 young girls under 3) out for weekends.
Budget is in the 10k-20k range.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Mike
mjfarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 17:55   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Buying my first boat

Popular production boat and did the research years ago and one area to look out for in a specific run of boats is separation at the keel due to poor backing of the keel bolts. Google Catalina smile and you'll find lots of info. Not all are subject to but I believe it was early 80's to '86 and certain models. I'm sure some owners will jump in with the exact info.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 18:20   #3

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Buying my first boat

Good choice for a first boat

Tags
boat, buying