Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 15:28   #46

Boat: Nautor Swan57rs
Re: Buying boat long distance through Broker

My yacht was all over the Internet with few brokers. Luckily the owner left the AIS transmitting for me to find him. Seller was pretty happy that I did that as all those brokers ended up with bone ⛵️
sepeteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 17:18   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
broker= used car salesman. RUN>>>>>AWAY!!!!!
get looking at something closer to you.
and good luck with your used car salesman. he will try to show you boats outside your budget because he wants a larger commission.
oh yes and boats he cannot sell..... enjoy searching- hope you do not lose your assssssssss..

role of broker--sell you boat yielding greatest commission.

if you have option on a close by boat without broker--- run To it.

Do you really think you're doing this or any other buyer a service when you make a blanket statement like that?? As a very responsive broker who genuinely cares about his clients I take great offense to that statement. I'm sure that whatever work you did or do, that there are some bad apples floating in your barrel as well. Shall we lump you all together?

Ok, off the soap box and back to musher...

You really need to find a good buyers broker to protect your interests in any deal and to hammer away at any less then ethical sellers or brokers. My advice to you would have been, first, to forget the old survey, it's worth nothing. If you were close to making an offer I would have located a surveyor to do what I call a pre-survey. The surveyor spends a few hours going over the boat and taking pictures in order to get a general idea of condition. Based on this "right now" info, you can now make an informed decision on whether to proceed further. If the pre-survey stinks, you just spent a couple of hundred bucks but saved yourself a plane ticket.

If you really, really wanted the boat then I would have had you get the boat under contract first in order to protect yourself from another buyer while you were getting the pre-survey. Of course, there would be contingencies in the contract based on pre-survey and full survey results. If the pre-survey is bad you just reject the boat and go on to next one. This is my standard advice for clients who are too far away to personally inspect the boat they are interested in. In any case, find a good broker. If you have any questions, fire away...
Old 17-03-2016, 17:23   #48

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Brokers are like any other group. As a cynical old man I have learned that most people are not worth dealing with. The exceptions to the rule make dealing with people worth it. I know a broker who turns down sales that he thinks are no good for his customer. An exception, indeed, but they exist.
Go to the local fisherman/sailor bar and ask who the best broker around is. Many times you will get the truth.
A good broker knows where all the best boats are and cares as much for the buyer as he does the seller.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 17:33   #49

Quote:
If you really, really wanted the boat then I would have had you get the boat under contract first in order to protect yourself from another buyer while you were getting the pre-survey. Of course, there would be contingencies in the contract based on pre-survey and full survey results.
that's helpful--and doable. I wonder why I didn't think of it now.
musher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 18:49   #50

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

This is normal behaviour. Beware lies and misinformation. Even after we contracted a surveyor that we knew well and trusted, we still couldn't cover all bases. So many boats are status symbols for dodgy people. So many brokers and owners are lying, kniving wankers. Sure, not all of them, but beware!!!!!!!!!!
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 18:57   #51

I should add another thought:
I bought a boat long distance by making an offer and negotiation subject to personal inspection, upon approval, then subject to survey and inspection. The broker took a photocopy of a deposit check.
Twice actually brokers have done that check thing with me. I think often they just need to be able to say to the seller that "he wants to pay $XXXXXX, and I have a deposit check". Let's face it, they all know you can get out of it anyway.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 03:04   #52

Hi
I have a boat for sale around the same price and I am definitely not a broker. And i will give you all the information you need.
I don't know where you are but chances are this is thousands of miles away as well. I am in Western Australia and i suppose you are in the US. This would make for a nice sail back 😊
Cheers

Anyway let me know if you are interested.
Cheers
Hugo B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 07:49   #53

I appreciate the offer Hugo, but I'm shopping in the US pacific northwest for now.
Old 18-03-2016, 09:37   #54

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by musher View Post
I appreciate the offer Hugo, but I'm shopping in the US pacific northwest for now.
???

You should be shopping in the Canadian PNW! Closer to Alaska and with the exchange rate you will make out like a bandit :-)
Old 18-03-2016, 10:29   #55

Sorry I misspoke a bit. I am definitely watching/shopping BC (and Yukon).

I was just trying to distinguish between NW Australia and this part of the world.
Old 18-03-2016, 10:44   #56

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Sorry I misspoke a bit. I am definitely watching/shopping BC (and Yukon).

I was just trying to distinguish between NW Australia and this part of the world.
It used to annoy the hell out of me when shopping on YachtWorld to find the perfect boat only to notice it was actually in Australia...
Old 19-03-2016, 05:43   #57

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
Do you really think you're doing this or any other buyer a service when you make a blanket statement like that?? As a very responsive broker who genuinely cares about his clients I take great offense to that statement. I'm sure that whatever work you did or do, that there are some bad apples floating in your barrel as well. Shall we lump you all together?

Ok, off the soap box and back to musher...

You really need to find a good buyers broker to protect your interests in any deal and to hammer away at any less then ethical sellers or brokers. My advice to you would have been, first, to forget the old survey, it's worth nothing. If you were close to making an offer I would have located a surveyor to do what I call a pre-survey. The surveyor spends a few hours going over the boat and taking pictures in order to get a general idea of condition. Based on this "right now" info, you can now make an informed decision on whether to proceed further. If the pre-survey stinks, you just spent a couple of hundred bucks but saved yourself a plane ticket.

If you really, really wanted the boat then I would have had you get the boat under contract first in order to protect yourself from another buyer while you were getting the pre-survey. Of course, there would be contingencies in the contract based on pre-survey and full survey results. If the pre-survey is bad you just reject the boat and go on to next one. This is my standard advice for clients who are too far away to personally inspect the boat they are interested in. In any case, find a good broker. If you have any questions, fire away...
Great post. Telling people to walk away from any boat listed with a broker is pretty dumb advice. You'll miss out on a lot of the boats out there. Also, asking a listing agent whether a boat has or has had blisters makes no sense. All the agent can do is ask the owner & you shouldn't trust their answers anyway. I'm not saying most brokers are liars but it's your responsibility to do your own due diligence. A pre-survey is a good idea but that's in the water so you still won't really know about the hull condition until the boat is hauled & surveyed.

Also, the implication that boats listed with brokers sell for more because the seller has to pay a commission is a fallacy. Market value is market value. The seller's expenses do not affect it.

We found our boat on Yachtworld. It was in Michigan & we're in Florida. I talked to the broker, made an offer contingent upon my inspection, a sea trial & a survey. I flew up there the next weekend & closed with no problems. The broker was very professional & actually much easier to deal with than the seller.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 07:07   #58

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Brokers are like any other group. As a cynical old man I have learned that most people are not worth dealing with
Ok, good to know I am not the only one sharing this thought. Hell I must be getting old and cynical

Seriously though, of course there are exceptions to the rule. But even being willing to concede that the offended brokers on the thread belong to that mathematical uncertainty well.. wasting ones energy contacting hundreds of brokers until one pops up who will *actually* answer your inquiry instead of replying with a useless proforma email and that gives you the feeling he is a decent man well.. that still hasn't happened to me.

Sellers (and buyers I am sure ) are also not easy. It is of course human nature to look out after #1. Sellers also deceive, misrepresent and hide things. But dealing with them directly usually exposes something. After all most of them are not trained sellers so if you prod enough.. it will usually come up one way or another. If anything one gets at least a feeling for the person.. and then I follow a fairly easy rule. Is this someone I would buy something from in a dark alley? or does he/she give me the creeps? Is this someone who gives me the feeling he took good care of his baby? Don't underestimate the value of your intuition.

So as a buyer, the broker looks like an anacronism from a pre Internet era who is just getting in the way between me and the seller and preventing me from getting to know the man who sailed my future boat for so many years past.
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 07:20   #59

Quote:
Hi,
I'm in the process of considering the purchase of a boat that is advertised through a broker. This is my first experience dealing with a broker. My previous boats I've purchased directly from the owners.

I'm very interested in the boat, but it is thousands of miles away. I want to be pretty sure it's a candidate before making an offer, paying to travel, and engaging a surveyor.

The broker has told me that there was a survey done last year, but has so far declined to provide a copy to me. His explanation is that he didn't want me calling the surveyor and asking questions about it.

I encouraged him to redact the surveyor contact info and send it, but so far he has not done so.

I also asked for some additional photos. The broker has indicated that the photos were taken, but that it's very confusing/difficult for the owner and broker to figure out how to email them to me.

The broker also claims ignorance on many of the questions I've asked. Things like "does the boat have blisters or a history of blisters or any blister treatment". Many of my written questions have gone unanswered. The broker seems to just ignore the question. I get the impression the broker does not want to write any of his answers down.

Is this normal behavior from a broker, or should I be listening to the little alarm bells that are starting to go off?

I'm thinking about asking to speak directly with the owner. Would that be a legitimate request?

The boat is in the neighborhood of 50K if that makes any difference.
RUN!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 12:38   #60

Boat: 1975 morgan outisland 33'

Pm me if interested boat is in vancouver wa will consider free delivery.$45,000 obo.Total restore have $130,000 into it.
1975 33' morgan out island commodations
2 in v birth
2 in quarter birth
1 port side settee
1 starboard side
Total of 6 people*

Galley
Ships mate 2 burner stove with oven works great propane with sea bar for safety*
Deep ss sink with new hot and cold pressure water faucet
Hand pump for sea water
Ac/dc cold plate refrigerator new insulation (be careful it will freeze) was in process of making it a freezer
New Farberware knife set for a chef
2 propane 10 lb tanks in cockpit locker in sealed box vented overboard
Settee
Wood sliding cabinet’s for tv, microwave, and storage
New micro*
New digital ant. With ant booster
New Sanyo flat screen tv
New dvd player
Sound system big speakers
Solar and batt vent in salon
weather gear">Foul weather gear
Plenty of storage as much as a 41’ boat has
New in 2010 Sanyo refrigerator freezer ac and inverter so you have 2 refrigerators
4 fire extinguishers
Storage all over the boat.
Electronics
2 radios one hand held one in nav station
24 mile radar*
2 gps Garmin 172c plus charts for the west coast to California*
2 depth sounders one ray marine new
New Speed log needs cleaned was planning on doing it when I hauled out
New Raymarine wind instrument
Compus on pedestal
Auto helm auto pilot new flux gate compus
Another auto helm for spare parts
New batt charger
New windless*
6 house batt
1 cranking batt*
Wind generator for charging batt( needs installed)
New electric head in 2015
Shower in head*
New faucet
New shower head*
1 cqr plow anchor with 300 foot of 3/8 chain
1 fortress anchor 150 foot rode
New Radar reflector
New running rigging in 2010 used maybe 10 times
New standing rigging in 2006 excellent shape
New paint from rub rail down to waterline in 2009 with awl grip $ 6000 with me doing the prep work
All lines led aft to cockpit for safety at sea
4 lewmar one speed winches
2 lewmar winches for sheets 2 speed
Davis sextant
New prop and shaft*
New pss seal for prop shaft no leaking stuffing box to worry about
Manual bilge pump in cockpit
500 gpm 12v automatic bilge pump*
2010 air snugger heater needs cleaned*
On and off switch for inverter
6000watt inverter 10,000 startup
radio am/FM cd player hooked up to big sound system
Replaced engine stringers*
New 6 gal hot water heater wired for ac and plumed to engine when underway
New seacocks (needs one in head replaced handle broke)
New amp and volt meter analog
All new cushions in 2009 great shape
New total enclosed cockpit with isinglass windows
New over built dodger frame*
Spinnaker pole*
Brand new main sail, used maybe 8 times
Brand new jib
Brand new spinnaker used 3 times
Spare main and jib in good shape
New lazy jacks and sock for main( needs zipper fixed) raise and lower main from cockpit
New main has 3 reef points all done from cockpit*
Sea anchor and drogue for heavy weather
4 offshore life jackets
Swim ladder*
Fuel transfer pump from one tank to the other
12v oil pump for changing oil*
2004 Avon dingy and 5hp motor*
Total rewire ac and dc of boat in 2010 with new updated ac panel $25000*
New gfi outlets thru out the boat*
Peel job done in 2006 last haulout no blisters at all.
Many florescent lights ac and dc with spare bulbs*
Many spare parts and tools*
Last surveyed in 2014 for $56,000

Photos on request

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
kennyarmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying