Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 23:37   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Buying Advice on Possible Boat Issues

I am looking at a few Cats and one broker has given me a 5 year old pre-purchase inspection report from the last time it was sold. (totally out of date I understand that!!!)

I just want to pick at a couple of points in it and see what the collective wisdom says.

From the report:

1) We sighted a stain in the face of the rear bulkhead in the aft cockpit locker. The stain indicates possible water ingress in the core around a fastening. No action is required at this time

2)
We carried out percussion testing and found the deck and super structure to be free of delamination apart form two small areas where compression “dings” where noted. It appears something heavy has been dropped. One area is on the port side cockpit coaming and the other adjacent the starboard side staysail tackle system. In both cases the areas are approximately 150 x 100mm. No action is required at this time

3)
Hull Percussion testing revealed no evidence of delamination apart from two small, isolated areas on the outboard side of the starboard hull. These areas where located approximately 200mm above the waterline, adjacent each other. One was below the holding tank vent and the other approximately 4-500mm aft of this. In both cases the areas did not exceed 150 x 100mm. No action is required at this time.

So the current owner who had this report done has undertaken no repairs in regards to these issues.

The boat is a long flight away, so just considering if its worth continuing my interest in the boat with these issues - 5 years on and possibly much worse and considering it looks like the current owner has done very little maintenance to the boat, what other issues may pop up.

My next step if I proceed would be getting a local surveyor to go over the boat for an hour or two, to see if its worth a flight.

Thoughts and advice would be appreciated
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:09   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Buying Advice on Possible Boat Issues

Well, that was the condition of the boat 5 years ago. It has surprisingly few observations which is a good sign. Now what has changed over the last 5 years with little maintenance? The only way you are going to know this is to visit and have a new survey. If you show the surveyor the old report he can pay particular attention to these areas, but they may still not be a problem.

The investment in a survey whilst expensive ought to ensure you don't buy a pig in a poke. Interestingly I watched the YT video of Sailing Nervous having a survey done last night. The surveyor they chose hadn't a clue which was really worrying. Thankfully they chose a good make of yacht and then went completely over the top changing stuff that really didn't need it. No harm other than lightening their wallets.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:29   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
The boat is a long flight away, so just considering if its worth continuing my interest in the boat with these issues - 5 years on and possibly much worse and considering it looks like the current owner has done very little maintenance to the boat, what other issues may pop up.

My next step if I proceed would be getting a local surveyor to go over the boat for an hour or two, to see if its worth a flight.

Thoughts and advice would be appreciated
Presumably this is an east coast boat. Maybe a CF member in the area is close by and might be willing to have a look or know a good broker who you could engage to look on your behalf. This might be better than going straight to a survey. There is probably no cost in engaging a buyers broker to check the vessel or at least interrogate the sellers broker.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:58   #4
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Presumably this is an east coast boat. Maybe a CF member in the area is close by and might be willing to have a look or know a good broker who you could engage to look on your behalf. This might be better than going straight to a survey. There is probably no cost in engaging a buyers broker to check the vessel or at least interrogate the sellers broker.

Its In Tassie (Hobart) if anyone is over that way??

I am not going to go for a full survey just yet - Just pay a surveyor to give it a critical eye for an hour or two, to see if its worth a flight - Full survey would come later.

Anyone know of a Great Buyers Broker in Tassie?
Old 04-01-2019, 03:52   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Yes, there are some good brokers in Tassie, PM sent.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:28   #6

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m

What is the make of the cat?
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 14:15   #7

You need a surveyor not broker.

Your lucky, I would expect there would be numerous well qualified surveyors.

You can also ring the previous surveyor to get his opinion before you commit.

Good luck
hyamsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 14:21   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Not sure about “down under” but many delivery captains will visit a boat and do a solid walk through. I run a video call during my walk through so the buyer and I walk it together. Much cheaper than a survey, but admittedly not a survey.

You might want to look for delivery guys in that area and check their websites.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 17:15   #9
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin460 View Post
What is the make of the cat?

Prout Broadblue

Seems quite Light for a Prout, maybe that's the Broadblue influence? - I'd like to hear from anyone that has sailed this model in regards to its sailing ability

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...uluwatu/226936

Love to get your Dolphin, but with the Aussie $ being pathetically weak, its out of my budget
Old 04-01-2019, 19:54   #10

There’s a Fusion 40 for sale in Perth ‘sonra’ Have you checked this one out?
Old 04-01-2019, 21:27   #11

Boat: currently boatless

G'day UFO,
having undergone similar hunts as yourself I strongly agree by getting a serveyor to do a quick once over, particularly the sections as mentioned in the report. Quite correctly dont give any weight to the report other than a guide.
We had arranged for a pre survey reportd overseas prior to going to the expense of airfares, accomodation etc. Ultimately the deal fell through even before the preserve . Good luck.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 21:47   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We've had surveyors look over boats a few times when we couldn't do it ourselves. Each ran from $100 to $500 and at least allowed us to write off or pursue a deal.... one in Guatemala spent less than 10 minutes aboard to see it was a total wreck and was the cost of a few beers. Often, they'll discount the full survey if you do decide to buy after their initial inspection.

I've also looked over boats for people for free, so maybe you'll find someone in Hobart.

Matt
Old 04-01-2019, 22:00   #13
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyamsbeach View Post
There’s a Fusion 40 for sale in Perth ‘sonra’ Have you checked this one out?

Its too small for what I want - Going to be a live-aboard with the family
Old 05-01-2019, 01:59   #14

Depends on the size of your family and where you will be berthed or moored.

Under 40 foot can be reasonable outside the touristy areas. I had a Lagoon 380 and used to pay casual fees of $35 to $175 per night on the East Coast.

Remember cats have at least 40% more capacity than monos.

Lagoons are virtually unbreakable but not the quickest out there. But wherever you are in the world you will see more of them than any other. Maybe a 440 will suit you. Plenty of space and great sailhandling from bridgedeck. There are two good examples on the Australian East Coast.
Good luck in your search.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:46   #15

Yeah! And don't look in side of Sonra! I want to take her myself ))
Guys, and maybe some of you can give me contacts of surveyor in Perth/Fremantle, that can check her there?
almadelmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying