Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 04:51   #1

Buying a used charter boat ,pros and cons

Have any of you purchased a phased out charter boat from any of the big charter companies, Moorings or Sunsail in particular? Your experience? Pros and cons?
norules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a used charter boat ,pros and cons

Yes.. Moorings.
Pro's : a 5yr old Bene 331 for $60,000,
Con's : High engine hours, 10yr old interior

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:23   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Re: Buying a used charter boat ,pros and cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by norules View Post
Have any of you purchased a phased out charter boat from any of the big charter companies, Moorings or Sunsail in particular? Your experience? Pros and cons?
I've never bought one but I have attended on behalf of owners, many a phase out sea trial & survey for boats from A and B fleets here in bvi. (then delivered 'em to the owner!)

As boatie said, the cons are a 10 year old interior (well, actually probably only 5 if its ex-Moorings) and high engine hours.

But, like buying any boat, it depends on the phase out survey which is done on behalf of the owner. The "hit list" generated by that and the ensuing to-ing and fro-ing about what constitutes "fear wear and tear" and what should be replaced will not be your problem and you wont get to see that survey anyway, unless the owner shows it to you. Then, you organise (or someone like me does) your own survey and take it from there.

The pros should be that the boat has been well maintained (very much depends on what fleet the charter boat has been in).

Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
I've never bought one but I have attended on behalf of owners, many a phase out sea trial & survey for boats from A and B fleets here in bvi. (then delivered 'em to the owner!)

As boatie said, the cons are a 10 year old interior (well, actually probably only 5 if its ex-Moorings) and high engine hours.

But, like buying any boat, it depends on the phase out survey which is done on behalf of the owner. The "hit list" generated by that and the ensuing to-ing and fro-ing about what constitutes "fear wear and tear" and what should be replaced will not be your problem and you wont get to see that survey anyway, unless the owner shows it to you. Then, you organise (or someone like me does) your own survey and take it from there.

The pros should be that the boat has been well maintained (very much depends on what fleet the charter boat has been in).

Tony
Con....cabin configuration....at least for me. Personally, I dont want 4 heads and 4 cabins.

Jer
Old 07-01-2015, 06:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, norules.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Have a look at Zero To Cruising's blog. They purchased the boat from me, and have been pretty happy. I'm sure if you email Mike he'd be more than happy to answer any questions.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. At one point in time I used to work for the big charter company, and phase out boat's for them.

On purchasing an X-charter boat | Zero to Cruising!
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:06   #7

1. most things that is wrong with the boat will have manifested themselves and been corrected by this time.
hope the boat is not a benteau or a jeannua pretty much junk to start with. ask whether the boat has been in anyone of collision or grounding.

make sure the mast is straight and in tune. it could have perment wows in it. rental companies are not the brightest crayon in the box.
have the motor looked at by a qualified mechanics.

you are essentially looking for abuse.

evene boats with charter skippers always in command may have issuses as they are the lowest paid in the marine industry

finally get a surveyor
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 15:44   #8

I have bought two ex Moorings. Both Beneteau 50s Bruce Farr designed. This model up to 2003 was built like the proverbial brick DUNNY. Pros is over engineered in every respect. Huge volume down below. Plenty of storage in 4 cabins plus V Berth.
Simple large Perkins with shaft to fixed 3 blade prop. Engine uses 2.7 lt per hour at 7.5 Know.
In rough weather of 60+ knots the 15 tonne give great comfort. I have done 20,000 NM in both and currently in Med for the next couple of years. Have crossed Atlantic both ways and they are a dream to handle solo. If you upgrade to good radar/sat av/DAVITS/water maker/solar you have the ideal iblue water live aboard boat. Bang for bucks is definitely a pro. You need to get a top shelf survey done to make sure there have been no grounding....same as buying any boat. This current one is 13 years old so will do the standing rigging next winter. It pays to spend a couple of thousand dollars and get the charter cosmetics tidied up. Not sure about the Cyclades 50.5 which started in about 2006. Also not comfortable with the sail drive set up in the newer models.
Pauline SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 15:55   #9

To compare apples and oranges I would add up the refit cost;
ie: if the engine hours are high, add the cost of a new engine, i
f the sails are worn, add the cost of new sails.
Assume the windlass has been used a lot. add in the cost of a new one.
etc etc then decide how good a deal it is.
Do an extra close inspection and only buy if the charter group has the boat repair history file. Watch for groundings.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:13   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

I bought a Beneteau 473 from Sunsail- the boat only did 4 x seasons ( out every day in season) in which period I sailed it for some of the time and kept an eye on it . It costed out at a saving of just on 30% of a new 473 fitted out to the same level .
+ 1. A sorted boat
2. An interest free purchase
3. Sunsail certainly know what works and what doesn't -Sail systems -standing rigging - fridges - Anchor windlass - Heads etc.

- 1. Your personal choices are limited in some areas. Colours - layout - etc
2. I have seen some charter boats being very abused .
3. I had a few marks on the interior woodwork and exterior gel coat - tiny stuff.

On balance I would do it again ( I am a very particular person ) ,but only with a reputable co. Sunsail etc - they certainly went the extra mile on hand over . You will have to have a survey for Insurance - but it is vital - you don't want to buy a holed / repaired boat -
incidentally the Tigre windlass last for ever .
Good luck , hope this helps
Regards Garth
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:46   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Interesting thread. Am looking closely at 2012 Oceanis 41 due to come out of charter in 2015/2016. Seems that there are many positive aspects to buying ex charter if your not opposed to a realistic acceptance of a well used asset. To me, the decision is similar to deciding upon buying a new house or condo vs an existing one.

One things certain, global charter companies would not press a sailboat design into service that is fragile.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:17   #12

Maybe more like a rental car vs private car would be appropriate analogy. I'm surprised Garth above only saved 30% over a brand new same boat... seems a charter boat is quite well worn after 4 full seasons. Wouldnt a used non charter boat of the same ilk be at least 30% less than new?... with likely very minimal use...? Just wonderin'....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 18:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Con....cabin configuration....at least for me. Personally, I dont want 4 heads and 4 cabins.
Jer
Can the "Wall" separating the fwd cabin into 2 staterooms be easily removed? I don't mean removed and replaced like a room divider, but could some one with a little work cut out the divider without compromising the boats integrity?

(referring generally to the Bene/Jen production boats...)
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 00:19   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

A very close friend bought a new Oceanis 440, as part of a Sunsail deal , the boat was chartered hard in season for 6 years . Around 10 years later , he altered the 2 x forrar'd double berths ( small ) by removing the dividing partion and created a great master cabin with full heads incorporated ( basin , shower , toilet ) , there have been no structural issues , but the east - west bulkhead remained in place , only the north - south bulkhead was removed . The boat is now 22 yrs old and is in great shape . Garth
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:10   #15

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Judging from ex-charter boats a few clients have purchased, the boats show vastly more wear and tear than the average private yacht. Better to buy a barely used cream puff.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, charter