Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-01-2015, 10:13   #16

Re: Buying a used charter boat ,pros and cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Interesting thread. Am looking closely at 2012 Oceanis 41 due to come out of charter in 2015/2016. Seems that there are many positive aspects to buying ex charter if your not opposed to a realistic acceptance of a well used asset. To me, the decision is similar to deciding upon buying a new house or condo vs an existing one.

One things certain, global charter companies would not press a sailboat design into service that is fragile.
Maybe maybe not! Seems the Cyclades were indeed fragile, so much so that there was a recall to repair the aft structure that held the rudder in place.

Old 13-01-2015, 10:40   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Con....cabin configuration....at least for me. Personally, I dont want 4 heads and 4 cabins.

Jer
When my wife and I were looking at ex-charter boats, our plan for this was to dedicate one head for showing, perhaps remove the head and replace it with a wood seat or something. Maybe install shelving in another head and use it for storage.

Nothing permanent, but we felt the same way "don't need 4 heads, what else could we do with that space?"

Old 13-01-2015, 12:50   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

2013 oceanis 41, 400 engine hours. I guess that means this is not a charter boat...?
$245k asking I think. 2012 Beneteau Oceanis 41 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 06:40   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
2013 oceanis 41, 400 engine hours. I guess that means this is not a charter boat...?
$245k asking I think. 2012 Beneteau Oceanis 41 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

That's close to what I need but it's the 2012 model year that I estimate will drop asking price below $200K US. I estimate that's the number for a typical private owner asking price. My research on available data suggests that for charter companies taking their 2012 Oceanis 41 out of service after four +\- years, that price would realistically be less than $150K US.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:47   #20

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
1. most things that is wrong with the boat will have manifested themselves and been corrected by this time.
hope the boat is not a benteau or a jeannua pretty much junk to start with. ask whether the boat has been in anyone of collision or grounding.

make sure the mast is straight and in tune. it could have perment wows in it. rental companies are not the brightest crayon in the box.
have the motor looked at by a qualified mechanics.

you are essentially looking for abuse.

evene boats with charter skippers always in command may have issuses as they are the lowest paid in the marine industry

finally get a surveyor
Speaking of "not the brightest crayon in the box" . . .

Tags
buying, charter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: