Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 07:50   #76

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Buying a donated boat

Don't let the bastards get you down.

That boat needs work. Fine. If you have time, then you can do it.

Start with safety items first. Make sure it won't sink. Make sure the rigging isn't cracked, rusted, etc. Fix the compression post if needed.

99% of what you need to know is on the internet. If you don't know how to fix all these things you will when you're done. If you restore that boat properly you'll be virtual experts on woodwork, fiberglas, engine mechanics, etc. There- there's your career.

You can sail without a running engine. Mankind did it for thousands of years. And every weekend I see expensive antique R boats leave the dock and return to the dock without engines. My better half- after only two seasons of boating- landed the boat w/o the motor. You can too.

The best thing you can find is a knowledgeable friend. One who can give you guidance and experience. In my observation of similar situations, if you work hard and do a good job, people take interest and over time you build friendships, help comes easier, and free parts show up. There's a younger couple with a new to them (but not without needing a lot of work!) boat a couple docks down from me- I've already unloaded a bunch of excess hardware, running rig, and lines on them.

One job at a time. Do it yourself. Ask for advice. Make friends.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:15   #77
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
...the OP will make up his own mind whether he wants a great career or not, to earn a pile of money and spend a lifetime working hard to do it, etc. This is very personal and we shouldn't be trying to impose our own ideas on him.
A load of politically correct hogwash, in my opinion. I'm an old man now and how I wish there had been someone in my early life to emphasize the incalculable benefits of career, sobriety, investing, even something as sime az abstaining from tobacco. But I had to learn, sometimes too late, their importance on my own.

Laul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:48   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
He won't get insurance without a survey. And he won't likely get a slip without insurance.
You don't need a survey to get insurance on a small boat for local use. His auto company will likely insure it cheap.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:11   #79

People have gone around the world on less than you have yes a little luck probably quite a bit of skill and determination but there are always ways to get things done...
I truly wish you the best and hope it works out because really there is no reason that it won't listen to advice on here that is practical and applies to what you want to do and ignore the other posts..

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
qwerty950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:24   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
A load of politically correct hogwash, in my opinion. I'm an old man now and how I wish there had been someone in my early life to emphasize the incalculable benefits of career, sobriety, investing, even something as sime az abstaining from tobacco. But I had to learn, sometimes too late, their importance on my own.

Laul
Certainly not politically correct -- and I bet I'm somewhere to the right of you politically

I certainly didn't advocate drunkenness or tobacco, nor did the OP express any ambition to be cigarette-smoking drunks.

It is just a truth about life that not everybody needs the same things or chooses to spend their lives struggling for the same things. It takes all kinds, and as many lives were wasted in joyless careers and a blind struggle to make more money, as were wasted drinking and smoking and being no-count. Unfortunately, you can find lots of different ways to waste your life. You are projecting your own regrets on them -- believe me, they will find their own things to regret as they go through life.

All that being said -- I did agree with you and will repeat -- for anyone who plans to participate in the economy in any way just about whatsoever, college education is a must! The days of well-paid unskilled work are well and truly over. A decent college education is a good thing to have, even for a boat bum
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:41   #81

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

And college is the ONLY place to gain a skill.

Actually, college is probably the only place to start your life drowning in debt with practically no marketable skills if you choose the wrong major.

HELP!! My Yanmar won't start, go find me a political science graduate to get it going.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:44   #82

Boat: Coast 30

I am now so pleased to hear that you are getting things sorted out. Girls can do anything as good as men can IF they put their mind to it. Especially since they can excel in tenacity and tedious work.
Here in the Pacific Northwest of Canada where real estate prices are out of all reason many people who would be otherwise homeless live on salvaged boats. Which is far more preferable than choosing which bridge to sleep under. So while I would not argue against the desirability to get a good education. Living in a old boat while learning how to restore it could become the most affordable way to support herself while she gets there.

So to her I would say You might even develop the skill to become a genuine 'marine service provider' Sailing does not have to be an elitist sport so go for it. and with that diesel now running you can motor close to any number of collage's that are close to waterways.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:47   #83

I feel bad for the buyer but he was unrealistic to think that a 27ft cruising sailboat would cost $1500. Too many people become blinded by a "great deal" and forget to ask "Why?".

There are 480 27ft sailboats on Yachtworld. The mid-point of all those boat's asking price is about $16,000. There's a Watkins 27 that "needs some TLC" asking $13,000.

If purchase price plus necessary repairs costs less than $10,000, he's gotten a great deal.

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:49   #84

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Buying a donated boat is sometimes a good deal. My uncle gets donations for a non profit. He has a Catalina 30 sitting in his yard right now. Once he launches it the price goes up. I know last year he sold a Catalina 27 for around 5-6 k with a diesel engine that ran. Some boat owners run out of money and time to care for boat and will donate it. Sometimes boats are very nice but require more time and money than they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:02   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
And college is the ONLY place to gain a skill.

Actually, college is probably the only place to start your life drowning in debt with practically no marketable skills if you choose the wrong major.

HELP!! My Yanmar won't start, go find me a political science graduate to get it going.
You have to apply some care in choosing a major

But even poly sci majors earn what -- double? What high school only do.

We live in a knowledge economy, and income is strongly correlated to education. Just look at the stats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	177
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	125849

Source: U.S. Department of Labor Statistics

Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment

If you want to be poor and/or unemployed, the most sure-fire way to do that is don't go to college.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 09-06-2016, 10:15   #86
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

talk about moderated thread drift
Old 09-06-2016, 10:17   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
talk about moderated thread drift
Thread drift is a natural part of the flow of conversation
Walt Whitman
Old 09-06-2016, 10:23   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You have to apply some care in choosing a major

But even poly sci majors earn what -- double? What high school only do.

Source: U.S. Department of Labor Statistics

Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment

If you want to be poor and/or unemployed, the most sure-fire way to do that is don't go to college.
Stats from the government are worth as much as you pay for them.

In reality there are many high school grads making 50-60k a year or more, welder, pipe fitters, Business owners. Myself I made $90k a year, last time I sat in cube land. Even broke $100K for a few years there. But I'm an Autodidact and slightly weird.

Though I would agree that many find the collage path an easier path to a high paying job. Specially now a days.

Mind you being stuck in commuter traffic 5 days a week, for forever looks like a special kind of hell to me.. Been there done that... NEVER again.

I find making $500 - $700 a month, while being at anchor far more rewarding and satisfying. But then I've got that weird thing going for me.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:41   #89

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Stats from the government are worth as much as you pay for them.
Actually if you pay taxes then you pay DEARLY for stats from the government. Gummit is definitely the high cost provider in that market. Doesn’t make them worth any more but don't kid yourself, they're not free.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.bobandmarilyn.ca
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:45   #90

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailersteve View Post
Do Not turn that motor over till you lubricate the cylinders ! Period ! If it's not tied up and you turn it without lubb it will probably start to smoke from scratching the cylinders . I'd use WD-40 and a lot of it many time turning it over by hand ten times . If it starts change the oil in 15 minute of running .
WD 40 is not a lubricant it will strip lube.. Something like Marvel Mistry Oil I've been told works for a locked up engine. I wouldn't even use WD 40 for a starting fluid nor ether. JHMO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying