Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 06:54   #166

Re: Buying a Boat in Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellik28 View Post
Yup John tat was me. trying to revive the general boating forum over there.
you won't get any answers there ...

that forum is infested by keyboard warriors ... much like the a**holes at stomp ... they THINK they know everything about everything, whereas the reality is that their level of knowledge and experience is well below zero ... barring one or two of them ...

arguing for the sake of arguing, offensiveness, challenges, whatever ...

don't waste your time there ... no positive input is appreciated ...

i used to be on that site, but left ... didn't stay long ...
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 08:50   #167

Boat: Riviera 33'

Any recommendations for a mechanic? I have twin Cummins 6BT engines need some help...
Old 25-06-2013, 09:26   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
you won't get any answers there ...

that forum is infested by keyboard warriors ... much like the a**holes at stomp ... they THINK they know everything about everything, whereas the reality is that their level of knowledge and experience is well below zero ... barring one or two of them ...

arguing for the sake of arguing, offensiveness, challenges, whatever ...

don't waste your time there ... no positive input is appreciated ...

i used to be on that site, but left ... didn't stay long ...
Yup. well just trying my luck.

I have a question regarding one 15, do you know what happens to the members' membership when one 15 land lease is up in another 25 years or so? I read somewhere tat it's land lease is only 30 years, but now idea what happens after the land lease expires.

May I ask also are you doing sailing or power boating?

Thanks
rellik28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 09:32   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisticles View Post
Any recommendations for a mechanic? I have twin Cummins 6BT engines need some help...
Hi Twist, you seem to work a lot on ur boat yah. any chance for me to help out and gain some knowledge?

Thanks
Old 25-06-2013, 15:46   #170

Quote:
I have a question regarding one 15, do you know what happens to the members' membership when one 15 land lease is up in another 25 years or so? I read somewhere tat it's land lease is only 30 years, but now idea what happens after the land lease expires.
you are correct. being singapore, i have no doubt the lease will be renewed. however, i suspect we may have to fork out much more cash to renew our memberships.

Quote:
May I ask also are you doing sailing or power boating?
i do both, but prefer power ...

BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 19:08   #171

That's the thing about land lease and club memberships in Singapore. Nothing is really confirmed when it comes to the land lease issue. raffles marina in now going for 2.5k-3k inclusive of transfer due to land lease coming up soon.

Where do you guys go when it's time for normal 100 hrs serciving of engine oil/filter, fuel filters and spark plugs? DIY? or the mechanic goes to ur boat? Or haul up the boat to a Boat repair shop?

Thanks
Old 25-06-2013, 19:36   #172
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
the thinking behind the change seems to be reasonable ... push for jobs for locals, boat boys need to be regulated and insured against accidents, etc.

except that it is creating havoc amongst the local boating community ... finding a local to do the same job is damn near impossible ...

& i hear that they are going to tighten this even further ... it's already happening in other areas here ...
i heard that someone is looking into employing local ex-offenders as boat boys now. cool
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 19:40   #173
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Club monthly fee: SGD123.05
Berth: about SGD18 per foot LOA

Cheers!
you just killed my illusions that our 5-stars Raffles was the most expensive marina in singapore...
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 21:15   #174

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisticles View Post
Hi mate, I have a contact for you. I'll PM you my number if you want me to but I don't want to post it in the open for obvious reasons.

M
Old 25-06-2013, 21:21   #175

Quote:
That's the thing about land lease and club memberships in Singapore. Nothing is really confirmed when it comes to the land lease issue. raffles marina in now going for 2.5k-3k inclusive of transfer due to land lease coming up soon.

Where do you guys go when it's time for normal 100 hrs serciving of engine oil/filter, fuel filters and spark plugs? DIY? or the mechanic goes to ur boat? Or haul up the boat to a Boat repair shop?

Thanks
Do as much of the maintenance as you can possibly do. Buy and read books and learn. When things pack up 20 miles from land you will be grateful to yourself for having done it. Over here there are very, very few people with real knowledge. Most people (self included) at some stage thought of throwing money at the problem was the thing to do. In the end, you pay your money and you have to learn to do it yourself because whoever did it for you did it wrong. Don't make the same mistake.
Old 25-06-2013, 21:22   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by ato View Post
you just killed my illusions that our 5-stars Raffles was the most expensive marina in singapore...
Wow! We overtook you then! Why pay 15 dollars when we can pay 18, right?

M
Old 25-06-2013, 21:29   #177

Regarding the memberships, they are for 30 years. I think by the end of that time I will have lost interest regardless of what happens to the land lease.
Old 25-06-2013, 23:35   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Do as much of the maintenance as you can possibly do. Buy and read books and learn. When things pack up 20 miles from land you will be grateful to yourself for having done it. Over here there are very, very few people with real knowledge. Most people (self included) at some stage thought of throwing money at the problem was the thing to do. In the end, you pay your money and you have to learn to do it yourself because whoever did it for you did it wrong. Don't make the same mistake.
I learnt how to do maintenance on my car by going to the workshop, observing, helping and finally to doing it myself, provided i have the required tools and lifts/jacks.

Anyone here doing maintenance need an extra hand for free please call me yah. i don't mind getting my hands dirty with dirt, grease or oil but no bodily fluids. i will also wear my mechanic overall. what is it in for me is tat i gain knowledge on boat maintenance. sort of an apprentrice.

gabriel
Cheers
Old 29-06-2013, 02:22   #179

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salted View Post
hi all,

slowly I am starting to clean up the old girl. anyone have recommendations on interior cushion/mattress reupholstering?

Thanks!
To avoid the hefty premium for getting work done by the "marina crews" who do quite a lot of work around One15 , you could try these guys

Ho Soon Lee Sofa Maker ( Michael@hosoonlee.com.sg)
Block 5022, Ang Mo Kio Industrial Park 2 , #01-39

This will not just save you money, but they will almost certainly do a nicer job than the guys who ply the marina trade here

CS
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 02:29   #180

Boat: Shipman 28, 29ft

thanks CS, I shopped around and had the whole lot replaced with new foam + microfiber at a reasonable price (I hope ) with a workshop in Paya Lebar...

I tried washing one of the pieces of foam... omg, I don't how old the foam was or where it's been... the filth... *gag*
Salted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Singapore