Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2011, 18:57   #1

Buying a Boat

I am in the early process of hunting for a boat. I have been all over the net, contacted private owners, toured boat inventories with brokers and have been studying everything I can find. When it comes to "ask price" as compared an "offer" how do i determine a offer. Yes, I realize that the condition, make and features need to be considered but what would be a basic guide line to make an offer, 10% 30% 50% less then the asking price. I dont want to be cheap, but like everyone else I would like to make the best deal possible.
bumoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 19:19   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: buying a boat

If you've looked around as much as you say, you should have a good idea of what the boat you like is worth to you. Offer perhaps 10 to 20 percent less than that - using information like how long it's been on the market, how eager the broker or selling seems, and all the other points you mention. You're not worried about hurting the seller's feelings with a low offer. Maybe he's desperate to sell before his daughter gets married, and you'll be doing him a favor to give him half what he's asking. You don't know. If he's interested in selling, he will give a counter-offer, and you can go from there. If there's no counter-offer (not likely in this market, but possible) make a better offer. It's a business discussion. At some point, there will be a price he'll agree to. Hopefully it will be one you can afford.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 00:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Buying a Boat

Do your research,chech prices,uses buc net 27.00 a month,compare simuliar boats not just one make several different manufactures make simuliar boats,Remember some sellers are always trying to catch a fish,some buyers are two.When you arrive at a medium as to the market for a specific boat focus on this model,Pick out the best one and offer what you can aafford be resonable but hedge your way,leavbe room for error.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 01:10   #4

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Buying a Boat

Bumoko where will you be keeping the boat in Idaho or California ? Where are you looking to buy a boat from ? These things really make a big difference. We bought last year about this time of year and using cash no bank made things simple and the seller took our offer at $35,000.00 less than advertised price of $135,000.00 because he had put money down on a house in Hawaii he wanted to pay off, it worked out great for both of us. I was looking at Yacht world on line last week and some of the same boats are still on the market from last year at the same price.

Tags
buying