Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 09:22   #16

Boat: Bristol 29
Re: Buying a 22' Cape Dory and crossing the Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyreve View Post
So I have not purchased the boat yet and I am still planning this expedition. My question now is whether or not 22 Cape Dory is the specific boat for my needs. Would a 22 Catalina be a more capable boat for crossing the gulf? Would it be more comfortable in bahamian waters with it's retractable fin keel opposed to the deeper full keel of the Dory. However in my opinion the Cape Dory is a beautiful boat, and the Catalina 22 is pretty ugly. So basically I am having buyers indecision. What are your opinions.
I suggest you take "able to cross the gulf stream" off your requirement list. You can get any boat across if you wait for a good weather window, and in the spring and summer these will be plentiful. People have taken canoes across. Any sailboat that fits your needs in the Bahamas will be able to get there. That said, you've gotten lots of good advice on how to evaluate condition of the boat before you go. That's more important than the type of boat you choose.

Good luck!
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:24   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

I like the boat and the idea.

Get yourself a good season of sailing or better two before you cross. You want to feel competent you can.

Or take along someone who has done it before. You can learn something too while doing it.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 14:07   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"beginner" . . . "very little experience" and crossing the Gulfstream?
In English literature there is a term that aptly describes the above statement: Oxymoron.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron

Wikipedia

P.S. For those uninitiated into the hallowed halls of literary terminology, this is not a pejorative but rather a descriptive term.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48   #19

Let me explain a bit more about my exact level of experience and what I am planning. I have lived in the Bahamas my whole life and so I am not unfamiliar with a boat to say the least. I have taken safe boating courses and I know how to plot basic courses and use a compass. I do not however have much experience sailing and have only ever been sailing a handful of times. I have acquired a sunfish and take it out religiously. I take it far off shore and sail in rough conditions for the experience. I know an experiences sailor who owns a 22' ketch and I am hoping to trick them into taking me out and showing me the ropes before I attempt this. I'd want to learn how to reef and heave to and all the skills I need for emergency contingencies. I also want him to come with me to inspect the boat and tell me everything that needs to be done to it. As for crossing the actual gulf, something in me wants to do it myself. It's a sort of challenge I feel inside me to singlehand this boat across. Obviously there's adventure and there is foolishness which is why I started this thread to absorb as much information as possible. I will definitely be carrying redundant GPSs and VHFs and an EPIRB. I also plan to sail Biscayne bay for a few days to get a feel for the boat. As for as courses I'm still a little confused. I was thinking sailing a couple miles south down the coast from miami and launching there so that I can be pushed by the Gulf instead of having to fight it. Obviously I will not depart without the absolute best conditions possible.

Thanks again for all the advice. Please keep it coming if there's anything else you can add.
moodyreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:40   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The Gulf Stream will certainly push you north, typically 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 knots. So in a smaller, slower boat you could easily end up 15-20 miles north of your destination if you don't allow for this.

You say leaving from Miami but not where in the Bahamas. If to Bimini you will definitely need to set a course to a point 15-20 miles south of where you want to make landfall.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:14   #21

Boat: csy 37

Moodyreve, I think you're good to go. Fair winds and following seas....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 17:12   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy!

From your description, it sounds like you are ready to sail something bigger than a sunfish.

I wish you the best on your trip across the Gulf Stream.

Here is a link to a site focused on small or "micro" cruising sailboats. I suggest you take a look at the page linked as you will see a couple that has many times taken a 15 foot sailboat from Florida to Bahamas. They have many articles on their site and many photos in galleries.

I was most impressed by their couple cruising in a 15 foot sharpie!

About

Fair winds!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 17:23   #23

Boat: Catalina

I have a Catalina 22, fixed keel, and I would not consider it a blue water boat. Go with a CD in great shape .

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ctsunsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:13   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Moodyreve,

What you're talking about doing is taking a trailer-sailer from where you are to the Bahamas without knowing even how to reef. I'm not wanting to be a big meanie or anything, but I don't think you're ready. Furthermore, I'm not at all sure the boat would be able to take good care of you. However, it is your life to live however you want it. I'm just thinking that given your experience, the folks who're encouraging you may not be doing you any favors.

I am sorry to sound discouraging, but I would not want to be dishonest with you.

Ann
Old 04-10-2014, 10:01   #25

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"I have acquired a sunfish and take it out religiously. I take it far off shore and sail in rough conditions for the experience." Moodyreve

Moody,
In my opinion, you are either a troll (4 posts) or incredibly naïve. I believe you have received very bad advice from a few of the respondents encouraging your plan. Sailing a sunfish "far offshore?" Sailing in "rough conditions?" There is nothing wrong with a CD 22 with an experienced sailor at the helm. You are not experienced, by your own admission, and have no idea the seriousness of a Gulfstream crossing. I'm sure there are hundreds of members on this Forum that have crossed the GS with a good weather forecast and once in the stream have been blasted with contrary conditions. If you are a sincere respondent, I would advise you to reconsider your options. The Coast Guard does not need to be burdened with additional unnecessary rescues.
Old 04-10-2014, 13:15   #26

@rognvald

Thank you for your reply. It's insulting to be called a troll but I do appreciate your honest feedback. I started this thread so that I could accumulate as much knowledge as possible.

Let me reiterate. I have grown up on boats my whole life. I have worked on boats. I am in possession of a Captains license. However, I am just not an experienced sailor.

I will not fool hardily set out into the unknown and hope for the best. I will be sure to have the knowledge and experiences needed to complete this goal. If that means buying the boat and keeping her docked in Florida for a year or more until I am confident in my abilities, so be it.

Articles have been posted while in this thread of people with less experience and less boat doing this same thing, not that this is an excuse for recklessness, just food for thought.

So please don't confuse having a dream I am willing to pursue to it's conclusion with being naive.
moodyreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 22:10   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

BTW, what type of Captains License? If you are a professional Captain, then learning how to sail will be easy, and all you will have to do is plan and sail. But I get the feeling that your qualifications seem to come and go, which makes a troll more likely. Why would you not be honest in the first place?
Inquiring minds want to know...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, cape dory