Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2017, 18:42   #31

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Buy In Australia

Hi Jack,
first i would suggest dont rush into a decision. Many boat owners having regretted a emotive and not practical purchase. When considering purchasing a boat for the cruising you wish to do the boat it is as imperative you be aware of the list of equipment that is also required. Things to consider are battery storage, power generation IE solar, wind or both, water and fuel storage, electronics, motor, dinghy and storage, motor ( age and reliability), spare parts not only for the motor but the myriad of things that you need such as nuts. bolts, screws etc plus a comprehensive tool kit. Then we have to look at sails, what condition are they in or do they need replacement.
While the Swanson 30 looks like a good deal it has little equipment and the cost to bring the boat up to specification will be substantial. When you start compariing the equipment list for on the Westsail 33 is far far greater than the Swanson which ultimatley better value for money in the long run.
Just some food for thought.

Greg H
Lagoon 410 S2
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 22:50   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

mentosfly, There's no harm in looking at boats, after a while, it's almost fun. I'll say again, there was never a Westsail 33, but only 32's in the 30 ft. range.. There is a problem with that ad. Sure, go look, and measure, and consider. Ozsailer has a valid point about existing equipment --if it's functional. You will want to test everything, yourself, don't expect the surveyor to do it, if you use one. There is a thread here called Survey 101, which you might want to look at, and also "What does 'Sail Away' really mean?". Do a Google Custom CF Search on them, and learn.

Ann
Old 15-02-2017, 23:17   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
mentosfly, There's no harm in looking at boats, after a while, it's almost fun. I'll say again, there was never a Westsail 33, but only 32's in the 30 ft. range.. There is a problem with that ad. Sure, go look, and measure, and consider. Ozsailer has a valid point about existing equipment --if it's functional. You will want to test everything, yourself, don't expect the surveyor to do it, if you use one. There is a thread here called Survey 101, which you might want to look at, and also "What does 'Sail Away' really mean?". Do a Google Custom CF Search on them, and learn.

Ann
Risking domestic discord, I believe that there were some W-32 clones built here in Oz that were marketed as W-33s. AFAIK, they were pretty much the same boats.

Jim
Old 16-02-2017, 14:26   #34

Boat: Wharram Narai 40

I live in Brisbane so won't be able to check the Swanson out. I do agree about spending a little extra if it has good equipment. I am hoping to be really basic so I don't have to spend a crazy amount of money. I will definitely be taking my time when buying, I am aiming to leave next year so have a year to buy.

I found this boat that looks alright, what do you experienced people think? there seems to be a lot of Adams 31s available. Either way I will check it out.

Used Adams 31 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

I am having trouble finding the Survey 101 thread, any pointers on finding it?

Also is it worth reading Surveying Fiberglass Sailboats By Henry C Mustin?
Mentosfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 19:20   #35

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

This site has some good info, from memory its by a CF member:
Marine Survey 101, Do your own marine survey
Old 16-02-2017, 20:19   #36

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I'll say again, there was never a Westsail 33, but only 32's in the 30 ft. range..
Ann
Westsail 33's were built by Fremantle Boats in WA. As far as I know there was no affiliation with the U.S. company. I've been on a couple and they look identical to the W32 to me, but I'm sure the Westsail afficionados would be able to tell the differences.

My understanding is that they were also available as factory completed or as 'kits', much like the US manufacturer offered, so there is considerable variation in their level of finish. I've been on a gaff rigged version and have seen a pilothouse conversion advertised. Not sure how many were built or completed.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 21:17   #37

Boat: Westerly Sealord

A note re H28s of which I admit to not knowing very much.
There are at least 3 'versions' in Oz and NZ. The handful of wooden ones I have known were very lightly built, possibly strip planked mahogany, and not what I would choose for long passages. One... on a mooring in Williamstown... you could see in one side and out the other.
The other in Oz is the Geelong built GRP Kan Walker H28. My Vertue was hauled out once next to a Walker H28 and a wooden H28... the underwater hull form of the Walker boat was very similar to my Vertue and only had a passing resemblence to the original hull form.
Differences are summarised here
'A number of H28s were built during the 1970s by Walker Boat Co Ltd in Geelong, Australia. The original brochure makes mention of the robustness of the construction and the capability for long ocean voyages. The layup is heavier than other fibreglass H28 designs and the cockpit drains quickly expel green water. The Walker H28 hull has a lifted sheer and the draft has been increased. Also the transom is curved with the tiller passing through a slot in transom and attached at right angles to the rudderstock between the top pintle and the water line. This slot also acts as the cockpit drain, and because of this setup they have no lazarette or stern locker as the two side seats in the cockpit are moulded right through to the transom. The cockpit is enlarged. The deck moulding is also different with more of an upstand at the gunwale to take the stanchions. Most of the yachts built are ketch rigged with a bowsprit and taller rig with two sets of spreaders'.

Then there is the NZ built GRP H28 which I believe holds quite true to the original form. One of them turned up in Chile about 10 years ago.

Clansman?.... a rebadged no royalties paid Elizabethan.... strayans are good at nicking stuff... must be the convict genes....

For my money they are too fine aft. Friend had one... did a single Bass Strait crossing... sold it ... tended to haul the quarter wave aboard in a following sea.
Old 16-02-2017, 22:51   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^
Quote:
For my money they are too fine aft. Friend had one... did a single Bass Strait crossing... sold it ... tended to haul the quarter wave aboard in a following sea.
Well, then slow down! Nasty habit!.

A.
Old 16-02-2017, 23:01   #39

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

At the risk of offending H28 owners:

I did a couple of trips in a fibreglass H28 on Port Phillip Bay years ago, and I found it pretty uninspiring. It felt very heavy and slow, and that's coming from someone who is hardly into fast boats. This surprised me because I had heard good things about them from many people.

But the mystery may be solved by El Pinguino's description. From what he has transcribed it was almost certainly one of the Geelong built boats. It was ketch rigged and it certainly felt "robust". The note about gunwales also struck a chord, I remember feeling like I was sitting in a bucket at the time.

So, apologies again to H28 owners, and I will give the benefit of the doubt to the many positive reviews of the boat, and put myself in the "unlucky experience" basket bucket for now.

Matt
Old 16-02-2017, 23:31   #40

Boat: Herreshoff H36 12.8m

You can't beat a H28 for strength and ability to cruise anywhere that you want to go and more important bring you home. There was a modified H28 available a few years ago that sailed rings around a true H28. Stick with the dream before you get too old. Good luck!
Ray Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 00:54   #41

Boat: Compass 28

I'm sorry I don't want to bum you out, but $20k is simply nowhere near enough for a 30 footer in good blue-water fit-out and condition.

If it needs an engine you'll be lucky to spend much under $10k
Sails $3k+ for basic set of genoa and main
Standing rigging say $2k
Running rigging say $1k
Life raft $1.5k

And that's before you look at good robust self-steering, decent electronics, internal fix-up, maybe a fridge, and the solar wind etc to power it, oh and perhaps new batteries.

$20k might get you a really good Top Hat but whilst they sail wonderfully well, you'd want to be very sure you could live in a boat that small.
It would get you a reasonable Compass or Swanson 28, but that would be unlikely to be blue-water ready at that price.

Like the wise heads have said, take your time and learn. Crew on a few boats and reap the benefits of others' mistakes for free.

But don't let us old grumps stop you - I hope you get there, and good luck!

Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 00:58   #42

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Southern Hemisphere H28s in 3 parts

the originals ... H28's of the South of Perth Yacht Club - West Australian H28's

A Walker boat.. Walker Herrischoff H28 Ketch / Offers/ Swap for Trailer Sailer for Sale in ARCADIA, Queensland Classified | AustraliaListed.com

and an NZ example ... https://www.marinehub.co.nz/boats-fo...84f1a?offset=3
Old 28-02-2017, 02:34   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie_ind View Post
Westsail 33's were built by Fremantle Boats in WA. As far as I know there was no affiliation with the U.S. company. I've been on a couple and they look identical to the W32 to me, but I'm sure the Westsail afficionados would be able to tell the differences.

My understanding is that they were also available as factory completed or as 'kits', much like the US manufacturer offered, so there is considerable variation in their level of finish. I've been on a gaff rigged version and have seen a pilothouse conversion advertised. Not sure how many were built or completed.
That's correct, the Westsail 33 has no relation to the American builder of the W32, Westsail Corp., which had gone out of business in 1981, a number of years before the Australian ones where built. If I remember correctly just over 20 fully completed ones where built and a few more hull/deck kits sold to, and yes the actual length was 33'/10.05m.

I know this cause I nearly bought hull #14 new from the factory. She was almost completed when the original deal fell through, all she needed was mast/rigging/sails and a few other bits and pieces above deck, down below was all completed, in the end I was peer pressured into buying a house

Here's a few more examples for sale (1 sold) although a little out of the op's price range....

https://www.tradeboats.com.au/detail/westsail-33-443280

https://www.boatlocator.com.au/item/...tern-australia

This one I know off as a friend of mine is one of the brokers for it, and it's moored just up the river from where I'm sitting now, lovely boat...

West Sail 33 Pilot House - Yachtdomain.com - International Boat Sales
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 17:43   #44

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I agree that Oz built Westsail 33s can fit Mentosfly's requirements. I have seen one sold in WA one for $15 or $18k, and that sailed across the Bight (from Fremantle), without spending a cent on it. Maybe he should have, but that is another story. That boat is now in Port Lincoln (South Australia), and I would not be surprised, for sale again. If interested I can forward you contact details.
There are certainly Westsail 33s for sale around the $30-$35k mark.

And what about another Swanson, definitely in the stated price and size bracket: $8k, 32 ft. Maybe a project but it could be close to where you live.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/roch...cht/1141938588
Old 14-03-2017, 01:21   #45

Boat: Tophat M1 25feet

I bought a tophat mark 1 about 18 months ago for 5k in Australia.
Since purchase id say ive spent about 3k stepping the mast, replacing some rigging, running and standing.
Its a double spreader rig and rock solid with 6.5mm stays. Over rigged.
Ive fitted her with Spinlock rope clutches removed the mast winches and brought everything back to the cockpit. She only has an 8HP OB.
Im planning on a departure from sydney in June heading north then east to New Cal and up through the solomons.
I would have spent another 6k by the time i get oz reg and buy a few other items.
So total cost for ocean going tophat in sound condition about 14k.
Everything is very simple but comfortable aboard.

I have a removable dinnette table which is firstly the main cabin bed base, underwhich i store my sails. Cruising i have 2 on deck both hanked on.
The dinnette board is a chess board and used as my dinnete table that attaches with hinges. just slides on. This is also a cockpit table.
4 uses and a total cost of about $11 on the hinges.

THe galley is a basic metho stove. I made a fold up table next to the sink as i love to prepare food and the tophat galley leaves nowhere really to do this.
This also doubles as a chart table.
Also installed some free stuff i found to hold plates and some $2 small buckets with holes in bottom for cutlery and kitchen stuff.

I installed a great pioneer stereo from ebay for $90. Scored a bose speaker dock from the roadside for $0, and ripped the speakers out and installed them also in the main saloon. Stereo sounds awesome and also has a remote.

i was going to install a bimini but decided against the windage and weight, so i bought some awning fabric and installed eyelits. Ive used this in coastal passages in summer in 30knots and it holds up.

magma coal bbq.
Paddle board grip for cockpit floor
kiwigrip paint for grip on decks.

I did the mast work myself. paying for the lift off and back on in beer at a local barge company.
I needed 2 backstays made up which was done at a rigging company, i replaced a few turnbuckles, cleavis pins, masthead sheaves, exit sheaves and one of the upper spreaders.
Total cost for mast work was $500, however before i depart i will be getting the rig tuned by a guru as ive only done it myself using a loos gauge but it was fine on 4m swell and 35 knots on a recent syd-jervis bay trip.

I love the tophat. its a great boat. Small, but seaworthy, easy to heave to and gentle in a rough sea.

I believe my boat will handle a few surprises, but having said that im a little nervous but excited.
I highly reccomend "Cruising encyclopaedia" by Steve and Linda Dashew. 1000 pages of inspiring and wise words from these 2 who sailed around the world over 6 years.
Their philosophy is go sooner rather than later. your boat will need to be seaworthy but do not get bogged down worrying about things like radar etc. All these things are great to have but will blow your budget pretty fast.
A friend of mine just sailed from europe on a 30 footer. He had a handheld garmin and navionics on an ipad. No Ais, no radar. No steering sometimes too, but thats another story.
The fact is, many people have and do sail around the world on small boats and these neednt cost a fortune.
Sectorsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia