Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 14:38   #1

Boat: Cape Dory Typhoon
Buses or Shuttles to Kemah ?

So the boat is in Clear Lake and I am flying down Wednesday to start provisioning/preparing the boat for our cruise though the keys, the Skipper will drive down in about a week. My biggest problem is getting from the airport (IAH) to the marina; I’ve checked for city buses and have found very little information. Does anyone have any idea if there is a bus that goes near The Watergate yacht center and/or an alternative to this? I thought of just getting a room near there but it seems most of the hotels don’t offer shuttle service that far. Any suggestions would be helpful; I don’t really want to rent a car if I don’t need to.
Neecer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 15:00   #2

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Buses or shuttles to Kemah?

Did you google: IAH shuttle "Clear Lake"? There are a number of options. The first entry is: SuperShuttle Houston | IAH Airport Shuttle | IAH Shuttle Service | IAH Airport Transportation They show that Clear Lake is in their area of coverage.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 15:05   #3

No, I didn't try those I tried just about everything else, Thanks. BTW I'm leaving out of PDX
Old 03-03-2012, 16:50   #4

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I didn't think you would be flying out of Pearson Air Park
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:45   #5

Re: Buses or Shuttles to Kemah ?

There is no public transportation between IAH and Kemah (a driving distance of 50+ miles)...

Also, while there are a number of hotels that likely look close to Watergate, clustered for the most part on NASA Road 1 or west by the Gulf Freeway, there are no good transportation options to get you to Watergate from them either. The closest "brand name" hotel to the marina is the Holiday Inn Express at the corner of 146 and 2094 (The Boardwalk area). From there it is about a mile and some change -and not particularly pedestrian friendly- walk west up 2094 to Watergate.

Houston and its environs represent the quintessential car town. You are very much isolated without your own transportation. So I'd recommend renting a car.

One thing you might consider is to take one of the shuttles down to Clear Lake (most locals refer to the whole area including Kemah and League City as "Clear Lake") then rent a car down there, so you don't have to trek back to the airport to return it. Lots of folks do that and all the rental agencies have branches nearby.

I lived for a number of years there, so feel free to pm me if you have any questions...
sidmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19   #6

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Sorry I missed this thread until too late, Another option, hitch a ride from a fellow Cf member. I would have offered, but you are probably there already.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:31   #7

Thanks everyone for trying to help. We are driving down, decided we had too much big stuff to bring. Would realy like to meet everyone while we get ready to leave for points east. I'll keep you all in the loop, once I figure out where the loop starts.

Tags
kemah