Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: bumfuzzle pretty cool or not my cup of tea
its a great read and i enjoy it 49 49.00%
theyre having fun who really cares 37 37.00%
i just dont appreciate them 14 14.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 05:22   #106

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by bru
When you've got the pesky little buggers, there's only one way to get rid of 'em - ignore them!
So who's the troll?

Troller

news

links

Troller is looking for a response...ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone...ANYONE, will take the bait. Generally quite harmless - practices a form of catch and release. Nonetheless, he can upset the delicate ecology of a discussion forum. Once a forum becomes aware of his presence, however, all feeding activity ceases and Troller must move on to more promising waters.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:55   #107

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
i can see their point about the grey pole from anywhere over 100 m in the ocean neither would be very visible
Sean has got it right. This issue has been discussed at length previously, and as far as I know the laws of physics have not changed since. The trolls are those who keep dredging up the non-issue of the grey pole.

Kevin
Old 05-01-2007, 15:20   #108
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
The trolls are those who keep dredging up the non-issue of the grey pole.
Not sure about that. Trolls use anything to stir up responses, the grey pole is a common sense thing that most sailors would agree on.
Old 05-01-2007, 16:01   #109

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
Not sure about that. Trolls use anything to stir up responses, the grey pole is a common sense thing that most sailors would agree on.
Well clearly not all sailors agree upon it - I don't agree with you; nor does Sean apparently. Regardless, the grey pole is not topical to this particular thread, so the matter of bringing it into the thread seems like trolling.

Kevin
Old 05-01-2007, 19:48   #110
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Regardless, the grey pole is not topical to this particular thread, so the matter of bringing it into the thread seems like trolling.
I can only bow my head to your sense of logic Sir...
Old 05-01-2007, 22:17   #111
bru

To be ever so slightly pedantic, trolls are'nt people who keep making the same point over and over when those people are regular contributors to the forum on a wide range of topics

The trolls (or perhaps troll singular) are the people (person?) who crops up whenever the thread is dying a natural death and posts a new message aimed at getting a response.

They're usually people who've just signed up to the forum and/or have only ever posted to this thread.

I used to run an Inland Waterways focussed mailing list system which replaced a Usenet newsgroup murdered by trolls. I shut it down in the end because of the aggro of trying to keep the trolls and spammers off - trolls feed on responses and the only way to keep them under control is never to respond to them (a rule I'm breaking right now of course!)

Deleting the thread or closing it won't work 'cos the troll(s) will simply start a new one. It'll die when nobody gives the blighters the satisfaction of succeeding in provoking replies (or, just maybe, when the troll no longer has an ulterior motive - make of that what you will!)
Old 05-01-2007, 22:44   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
You are absolutley right Bru. Only problem is, we simply can't help ourselves from replying. ;-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 05-01-2007, 22:51   #113
bru

I know, it's a bugger innit!

Oops, did it again
Old 06-01-2007, 02:55   #114

Boat: Seafarer, SF34, EZ Liv'n
Send a message via Skype™ to coaster
I follow the Bum's logs, it's good reading when I have time to read and I communicate with they from time to time.
They are doing a good thing that they willl remember for the rest of their lives.
Pat and Alli will have huge tales and lots of pictures to pass to their children/grand children - nice.
They post their log for those interested, to read. This implies that those who aren't interested, don't have to read it.
They seem to be able to get from point "A" to point "B" on their own boat and get into and out of trouble on the own.
Their errors have not cost me or other tax payers a cent and nobody has died comming to their rescue.
They enjoy pizza and beer, who don't.

I love it.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:01   #115

Boat: Lexcen 40
This implies that those who aren't interested, don't have to read it.

Same goes for this theread to I guess. LOL
Old 06-01-2007, 11:19   #116

I am sure you are not paranoid -there really is a conspiracy. As for the plot being to pre-publicise a book, the guy writes quite well, but two things mitigate against that idea. It is extremely difficult to get published. While some rubbish is published the odds are extremely long. Second the shallowness of the apparent perspective is less than inspirational. Young people sail the world in search of MacDonalds has a certain wry appeal, but no more than than retired couple sail the world in search of sunsets.
Old 06-01-2007, 13:52   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee
I am sure you are not paranoid -there really is a conspiracy. As for the plot being to pre-publicise a book, the guy writes quite well, but two things mitigate against that idea. It is extremely difficult to get published. While some rubbish is published the odds are extremely long. Second the shallowness of the apparent perspective is less than inspirational. Young people sail the world in search of MacDonalds has a certain wry appeal, but no more than than retired couple sail the world in search of sunsets.
If there is a book on the horizon I don't think sailing the world in search of Macca's will be angle.I don't even think that it would be written by P&A so the angle could come from some other point outside the box!I think that if mitigateing was a factor,then man would not have landed on the moon<Gr>I love a good story.Mudnut.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:48   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The internet makes publishing easy. The hard part is getting paid for it. Almost any idea you have can be made into a short article or story. However, not every idea is in demand.

Writers should understand that their work reflects who they are, where they have been, and what they will become. When we write personal stories, with the purpose of sharing them with others, we enter into an agreement where we allow our reader to see a glimpse of our heart, our souls and our memories.

Unfortunately, many books require no thought from those who read them, because they made no such demand upon those who wrote them. The “Bum’s” tale may fall into that category.

Old 07-01-2007, 15:14   #119
Kai Nui

People do tend to enjoy reading the perverse, and this is a case where truth is stranger than fiction, so who knows? Guess it depends on how the stroy is told.

Old 07-01-2007, 15:19   #120

Just read their updated posts. Their plans at this point include sailing home, picking up an old VW and cruising (Land) up and down the Americas.

I wish them nothing but the best of luck, and pray that the VW they purchase was NOT made by the same people who made Bumfuzzle.
Closed Thread