Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2008, 07:35   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Bulk calcium chloride

The commercial marine products for humidity control are very expensive and they contain nothing more than calcium chloride.

I just bought a 50 lb. bag here in St. Louis for $23.00.

Has anybody made any special holders or funnels to hold this.

Is there any reason the sinks that self drain can't be filled with the stuff when you are not on the boat.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 08:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Is there any reason the sinks that self drain can't be filled with the stuff when you are not on the boat.
It's not all that friendly to stainless steel sinks or plumbing. Personally, I don't think it works that well. In a humid marine environment you just can't dry out the world. Maintaining good air flow is required and at that point you are fighting a losing battle using a chemical approach. With good air flow you don't have to dry out the air. I fought my wife a few years over this one and we found the Damp Rid magic disks do a lot and help in enclosed lockers.

Trying to seal up the boat to use Calcium Chloride just isn't that great an idea by my thinking. As a winter storage idea it may have value if you are shrink wrapping a boat in the higher latitudes for the winter season.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 10:02   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'd agree with Paul, quicklime can be aggressive stuff. I'd suggest using 5-gallon plastic pails (you can often get those for free at delis, they are used to ship coleslaw and similar products and just need a rinse out) and throwing the slops out of the boat rather than letting them drain through your plumbing and fittings, which might react to them.

If you have any power to the boat, a "goldenrod" or other low-power gentle heater should be enough to keep it snug and dry.

If you use the quicklime--remember, use it with caution, it isn't good to inhale or touch.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 10:16   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Sorry guys, "quicklime" is technically Calcium Oxide (CaO), not Calcium Chloride (CaCl2). Two different actions. You are, however, absolutely correct about the inefficacy of using Calcium Chloride to provide a realistic solution to drying out a boat interior while suspended in water and surrounded by atmospheric humidity. It's like rolling rocks uphill. Better to open a port at each end of the boat and move a fair quantity of air. The relative humidity will reduce the boat's internal humidity, lowering the likelihood of mildew and water damage. All cabinets and drawers and floorboards should also be opened a bit to allow the free passage of dryer ambient air to absorb the resident humidity. Fans are considerably cheaper and more effective, in the long run, than Dri-Z-Aire or other products of its ilk. Sell the bag of CaCl2 to somebody who hasn't heard of this.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote