Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 16:28   #1

Budget bluewater cruser.

Hi! Will be in USA i feb. Planing a tripp from florida down to the caribbean
Islands.

My budget is around 30 K. Looking for a offshore (bluewater boat) > 30 fet. First I´am interested i european- bulit boats, since it make it easier for a possible transport/(sailing) to EU regarding the CE-regulation. Still I´am also interested in the US-boats.

How is the CSY 32? Any other segestiones?
Thankful for all help I can get.
FRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 17:35   #2

We own a CSY 33

We live on a CSY 33 right now. The boat is a tank. We have the deep draft version and good for you/bad for me- I've seen prices as low as 25k for boats that needed some work. The nice things about these boats is the hull is near indesctructible! No cored decks, solid FRP.

CSYman owns a very nice CSY 33- you could query him about more info.

We were looking for a small catamaran due to our new bambino- but after looking at a few in the same price range we couldn't believe how flimsy and small the comparable 30-33' cats were. (no offense to any owners out there).

New standing rigging, check the rudder, tune up the engine, check the chainplates, get rid of the head and install a composting head and you got a great blue water cruiser.

Good water tankage and good fuel tankage- much more than you would find in comparable boats.

They are not the fastest, but very solid and comfortable boats.

We still would like a cat but for a growing family the CSY 37 looks very attractive.

You can read about some of the work we've done on the boat at:

JC McDowell and the Family Unit

Let me know if you have any questions that I can answer.

Regards,
Old 12-01-2009, 18:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcdowell View Post
We live on a CSY 33 right now. The boat is a tank. We have the deep draft version and good for you/bad for me- I've seen prices as low as 25k for boats that needed some work. The nice things about these boats is the hull is near indesctructible! No cored decks, solid FRP.

CSYman owns a very nice CSY 33- you could query him about more info.

We were looking for a small catamaran due to our new bambino- but after looking at a few in the same price range we couldn't believe how flimsy and small the comparable 30-33' cats were. (no offense to any owners out there).

New standing rigging, check the rudder, tune up the engine, check the chainplates, get rid of the head and install a composting head and you got a great blue water cruiser.

Good water tankage and good fuel tankage- much more than you would find in comparable boats.

They are not the fastest, but very solid and comfortable boats.

We still would like a cat but for a growing family the CSY 37 looks very attractive.

You can read about some of the work we've done on the boat at:

JC McDowell and the Family Unit

Let me know if you have any questions that I can answer.

Regards,

Hello, first post here. Is there something about the design of this boat that makes the hull stronger than other fiberglass boats? How much stronger will a steel hull be compared to your boat? Thanks much.
superA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 18:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Nothing special about the design, just that CSY used as much fiberglass in their boat as most producers used to make two similar size boats.

Plus nothing but glass, no balsa or plywood core in the deck or hull so nothing to rot away.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 18:52   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Hello, first post here. Is there something about the design of this boat that makes the hull stronger than other fiberglass boats?
Try 1 and 3/8 inch thick hull.
Old 12-01-2009, 19:41   #6
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Here's on that looks pretty darn good. $27,900. With dingy, outboard, perkins, wind generator, they don't disclose any problems, but of course that's what a survey is for.

1979 Csy-Cutter Daytona-Beach FL United-States

If I was in the market, this one would be on my short list... Maybe some of you CSY owners can tell me what I'm missing?

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 20:32   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The CSY 33 comes in a lot of flavors from very well equipped with custom interiors to the more stock factory boats that were chartered. We had a nice custom one and the CSY Man has a great one too. Both had a lot of extras added and improvements and heavily refurbished. The better ones are worth far more than $27K. You can find them in about any condition you might imagine but the hulls usually are fine. If the rest of the boat suffers a lot then re rigging and all the rest might make the $27K a poor deal. They only made 59 so you don't see many for sale. The 37 is also worth a look as well.

The are well know for not being fast. They don't like sailing in wind much under 8 knots and are quite happy with 25+ knots. They are exceptionally tough though short on water line at 24.5 ft yet exceptionally comfortable at anchor. The saloon is larger than most 45 ft boats because it lacks an aft cabin. The raised cabin makes the saloon very light and open.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 20:32   #8

Interior in rough shape...

Not saying much- my engine is located under the steps, my cockpit is different.

Can't really say much else.
Old 13-01-2009, 06:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
The CSY 33 comes in a lot of flavors from very well equipped with custom interiors to the more stock factory boats that were chartered. We had a nice custom one and the CSY Man has a great one too. Both had a lot of extras added and improvements and heavily refurbished. The better ones are worth far more than $27K. You can find them in about any condition you might imagine but the hulls usually are fine. If the rest of the boat suffers a lot then re rigging and all the rest might make the $27K a poor deal. They only made 59 so you don't see many for sale. The 37 is also worth a look as well.

The are well know for not being fast. They don't like sailing in wind much under 8 knots and are quite happy with 25+ knots. They are exceptionally tough though short on water line at 24.5 ft yet exceptionally comfortable at anchor. The saloon is larger than most 45 ft boats because it lacks an aft cabin. The raised cabin makes the saloon very light and open.

So do you feel that because of lack of speed that this would make a more choice for seeing the world in. Or would the other attributes, durability, cabin space, etc. make up for this? In your opinion. Thanks to you and everyone that replied to my question.
superA is offline   Reply With Quote