Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 10:31   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Mauritius 43
Bruce Roberts Yachts - Any Owners Out There ?

I own a 2006 Bruce Roberts Mauritius 43, and despite there being very many of these boats built and sailing, there is no Owners Group nor any easy means of communication between owners.

There is the 'official' BR web site, but to be honest the general feeling is that BR is not really interested in general enquiries unless it is in some way likely to generate sales activity.

So I have set up the ....... BruceRobertsOwnerGroup........ The idea is for it to be open to all owners of BR designs, not just the Mauritius / Norfolk boats.

brucerobertsyachtowners : Bruce Roberts Yachts Owners Group

No commercial connections, just intended as an area for technical discussion and sailing chat focused on the BR boats.

I started a similar group 10 years ago for similar reasons, when I first bought my Halberdier Ketch in 2001. It has been a thorough success with virtually every boat built tracked down, and their owners all participating to some degree.

If you own a BR design, take a look at the link and see what you think..

Thanks and regards, Nick

BR Mauritius 43 [Theseus]
thesius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:03   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Nick

Why don’t you set up your "BruceRobertsOwnerGroup" on this CF site.
We can help you set up categories for your specific boat.
Here is an example of what it can look like.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f136/?prefixid=Mahe36&sort=title&order=asc&daysprune=-1

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:08   #3

Boat: Roberts 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesius
I own a 2006 Bruce Roberts Mauritius 43, and despite there being very many of these boats built and sailing, there is no Owners Group nor any easy means of communication between owners.

There is the 'official' BR web site, but to be honest the general feeling is that BR is not really interested in general enquiries unless it is in some way likely to generate sales activity.

So I have set up the ....... BruceRobertsOwnerGroup........ The idea is for it to be open to all owners of BR designs, not just the Mauritius / Norfolk boats.

No commercial connections, just intended as an area for technical discussion and sailing chat focused on the BR boats.

I started a similar group 10 years ago for similar reasons, when I first bought my Halberdier Ketch in 2001. It has been a thorough success with virtually every boat built tracked down, and their owners all participating to some degree.

If you own a BR design, take a look at the link and see what you think..

Thanks and regards, Nick

BR Mauritius 43 [Theseus]
My name is Spencer and I have a 30 BR but I didn't think there was anyone else out there. Yeah hello fellow Bruce people. I will look at the page.
Spudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
My name is Spencer and I have a 30 BR but I didn't think there was anyone else out there. Yeah hello fellow Bruce people. I will look at the page.
Hi Spencer...

Yes thats pretty much what everyone has said...hope you like the link...

Like any of these things they are only as good as the 'members' want to make them ..but there definately looks like there is a interest enough to make the idea 'float'

All best Nick

[M43 Theseus]
Old 06-01-2011, 13:50   #5

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I have a Roberts Offshore 38 which I can get no information about from the BR commercial site. I've emailed them a couple of times asking questions but they don't have drawings, nor support the design anymore.

I fell in love with the Roberts 36 and 38 foot designs back in the 70s, never imagined I'd own one. Now I do. Good solid boat, needs some upgrades but structurally solid as a rock.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 14:42   #6

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
I have a Roberts Offshore 38 which I can get no information about from the BR commercial site. I've emailed them a couple of times asking questions but they don't have drawings, nor support the design anymore.

I fell in love with the Roberts 36 and 38 foot designs back in the 70s, never imagined I'd own one. Now I do. Good solid boat, needs some upgrades but structurally solid as a rock.

Sabre
Its comments like that that make one re-think a particualar brand. Hunter also are very poor at supporting older designs via thier web site. Its not very hard to have some PDFs of basic drawings and specifications available stored on ones website. Having good records available has to be good for resale values and subsequently future sales. I dont get why these companies are so lazy sometimes..

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 00:29   #7

Quote:

Sabre
Hi.. yes its great when suddenly you find you're are sailing the sort of boats that one once only dreamed about !

I suspect that Bruce Roberts himself and his wife may well be 'getting on' a bit now and looking at the antiquated web site they run it looks a bit like a husband and wife outfit. However the designs are excellent and I would hazard a guess that there must be more BR 'owner built' yachts on the high seas than any other.

My Mauritius 43 is a very powerful looking yacht with vast accommodation, she is the steel round hull version as against the more often seen hard chine version and was built by the Fairfield Shipyard on the Clyde in Scotland in the early 90's, although not completed and launched until 2006.

Regards Nick [M43 Theseus]
Old 04-10-2011, 01:06   #8

Re: Bruce Roberts Yachts - Any Owners Out There ?

Good initiative Thesius. I am a new Roberts owner. Its an Offshore 38 and I am wanting to ask someone who owns one (sloop version) what the luff is on the headstay as I am wanting to order a new asymmetric for the delivery trip from Sydney to Tasmania.

Craig Tate/ uvmango
uvmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 16:10   #9

This should give you a general idea of the measurments. How accurate they are would depend on the boat and how closely the builder followed the drawings.

ROBERTS OFFSHORE 38 CUTTER Sailboat SailPlan Data and Sail Quoting System OFFSHORE 38 CUTTER
Old 07-10-2011, 09:39   #10

Help! Someone named Wayne contacted me via in the last couple of days offering scans of the BR 38 drawings. I mistakenly deleted the email I got and have no way of getting in touch again. I'd love to get my hands on the scans, if you could please contact me again, I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:18   #11

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

I have a 50ft Roberts, a center cockpit ketch....Ok,ok it's a 47. I added a bowsprit so I could say 50.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:15   #12

Boat: BRUCE ROBERTS OFFSHORE 38

I have been building a BR Offshore 38 for the last 10 years(have to work as well) and I would like to connect to any other builders out there. Fiberglass hull.
abientot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 14:19   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I have a Bruce Roberts Offshore 44 steel multichine cutter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6975.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	32548  
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 15:01   #14

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

This is how she looked when delivered. In sad shape. Everything inside and top side was tossed out. The inside hull was taken down to bare steel primed and painted...and the refit has begun. The deck, pilot house (or is it wheel house, I'm not sure) and center cockpit have the first coat of paint. The main and mizzen supports are in place - bow sprit added. I have put in port lights, have spent a s$it load of time converting an unused keel section into a fuel tank....it's a never ending project. Currently I'm building SS pilot house window frames.
I've picked up by barter and trade a chart plotter, gps, mizzen mast with rigging and radar unit, 12kw genset and a roller furling along the way.
I'm learning as I go, and its been an adventure everyday since July 2010 when she was delivered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat in yard.jpg
Views:	1495
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	32549  
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 15:12   #15

Boat: San Juan 28

Quote:
Help! Someone named Wayne contacted me via in the last couple of days offering scans of the BR 38 drawings. I mistakenly deleted the email I got and have no way of getting in touch again. I'd love to get my hands on the scans, if you could please contact me again, I'd appreciate it.
Bruce Roberts makes his income off those "drawings"; You are supposed to pay for them. I'm not sure it's cool to scan them and pass them around.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bruce roberts