Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 05:52   #1

Boat: Traditional 30
Brokers in South East Asia

Google hasn't been a lot of help yet, we are looking for a boat somewhere between Singapore, langkawi and phuket (or around that general area).

We have found Boatshed at Phuket and yachtbroker charters in Langkawi. That seem to have boats "in the money".

We are looking brokers with every day cruising yachts. 30-40k in the 33-38ft range.

We did find people like Leemarine etc, but they specialize in boats for fatter wallets than mine.

Anyone know anywhere else to check.. (we have done yachtworld, apollo duck websites of course)

Thanks in advance
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Brokers In south east asia.

you can try these guys but stiill up market

Simpson Marine: Asia's Leading International Yacht Broker since 1984.

there used to be a good boating section in the langkawi magazine,but may have been discontinued but try here

Forum List - Langkawi Forum
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 17:17   #3

many thanks Atoll, will be keeping an eye on both of those too.
Old 04-01-2012, 17:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
many thanks Atoll, will be keeping an eye on both of those too.
i think Ao chalong,phuket yacht club also has a web site so worth looking there as well if you can find a link.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 17:43   #5

Thanks again Atoll.. I believe that the Boatshed is near there.
Old 04-01-2012, 17:50   #6

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Pippen Marine

Boats For Sale - The Marketplace on Sailing Networks

Yachts, Sailboats and Boats for Sale in Malaysia | YachtCouncil.Com
Old 06-01-2012, 17:00   #7

ta cat man do
Old 07-01-2012, 10:12   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Put Howison Marine on your list for Singapore. They don't have lots of boats but if they do get one you are interested in they will steer you right.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 13:08   #9

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Google images is a tool I have been using a lot recently as well, for example

yacht for sale malaysia - Google Search

one of the images is
clicking on that leads to unheard of sites
http://www.adpost.com/my/boats/Sail_Boats/
Old 08-01-2012, 12:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Put Howison Marine on your list for Singapore. They don't have lots of boats but if they do get one you are interested in they will steer you right.
Thanks for that.. Though I can only find new boats on their site
Old 08-01-2012, 14:00   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper

Thanks for that.. Though I can only find new boats on their site
Bob and Judy are currently cruising. Maybe they shed their used inventory. I haven't spoken to them in months...
Old 08-01-2012, 14:56   #12

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Ahoy Ozskipper, Michelle Pippen of pippen marine knows all the cheap boats for sale there. But she is not keen to spend any time on them. Alan, the English guy at boatshed in Yacht Haven, Phuket, is great, really nice guy and helpful. Phuket Cruising yacht club, a small bar at Ao Charong, has boats listed on the pin up board, lots of cheapies and wrecks, really, there are very few "bargains"! But, way cheaper than Aussie!

Pin up boards at Langkawi Royal Yacht club, Rebak Marina, store at front of Boat Lagoon, Phuket cruising yacht club, Bhat and soul, an online version of craigslist in Phuket, all good. See if you can get someone on the ground to check the pin up boards for contact details for you? Or go yourself, Thailand is fun!

Really, for a yacht you could hop on and sail to Phuket on, look at 100k minimum??

Best of all, fly over and go to Langkawi, maybe 70 yachts swinging on moorings or the pick at Kuah, about 10 for sale signs, the lady at the Jetty Peloncongan has a few cheap boats for sale, also the boys at b and v marine, based at port kuah, have a few cheap yachts on the hard there for sale.

afmboating@yahoo.com

Been through all this in 2010 and 2011, bought my alloy sloop, surfmachine, in Phuket, delivered Langkawi, private sale.

Really, there are no cheapies that are worth buying from the brokers, they dont make any money on them and if they are listed they are wrecks!!???

You have to get your feet wet and wade in the ocean over their, save yourself a lot of heart aches? Call me on 0452424767 if you want to chat about it. I have been through the mill over there, bought 2 boats in Langkawi, first one was 45K, second one was heaps more, but a proper yacht. Presently on the hard at port Kuah, returning in april 2012.

Happy new year from Keith.
Old 08-01-2012, 18:40   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

+1 on Alan Giles at boatshed. My brother bought through him and although the boat was real cheap (low profit) Alan spent the time to see the deal through.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Ahoy Ozskipper, Michelle Pippen of pippen marine knows all the cheap boats for sale there. But she is not keen to spend any time on them. Alan, the English guy at boatshed in Yacht Haven, Phuket, is great, really nice guy and helpful. Phuket Cruising yacht club, a small bar at Ao Charong, has boats listed on the pin up board, lots of cheapies and wrecks, really, there are very few "bargains"! But, way cheaper than Aussie!

Pin up boards at Langkawi Royal Yacht club, Rebak Marina, store at front of Boat Lagoon, Phuket cruising yacht club, Bhat and soul, an online version of craigslist in Phuket, all good. See if you can get someone on the ground to check the pin up boards for contact details for you? Or go yourself, Thailand is fun!

Really, for a yacht you could hop on and sail to Phuket on, look at 100k minimum??

Best of all, fly over and go to Langkawi, maybe 70 yachts swinging on moorings or the pick at Kuah, about 10 for sale signs, the lady at the Jetty Peloncongan has a few cheap boats for sale, also the boys at b and v marine, based at port kuah, have a few cheap yachts on the hard there for sale.

afmboating@yahoo.com

Been through all this in 2010 and 2011, bought my alloy sloop, surfmachine, in Phuket, delivered Langkawi, private sale.

Really, there are no cheapies that are worth buying from the brokers, they dont make any money on them and if they are listed they are wrecks!!???

You have to get your feet wet and wade in the ocean over their, save yourself a lot of heart aches? Call me on 0452424767 if you want to chat about it. I have been through the mill over there, bought 2 boats in Langkawi, first one was 45K, second one was heaps more, but a proper yacht. Presently on the hard at port Kuah, returning in april 2012.

Happy new year from Keith.
Lots of fantastic information, thanks Keith. Funny, you should mention getting my feet wet. I was at the travel agent yesterday getting quotes for an 'exploratory' trip. Thinking of doing Langkawi and Phuket in mid Feb once all the school kids clear out ;-)

Have you used the ferry service between the two by any chance? The plan is to fly to phuket then ferry down to Langkawi, two nights in lang then head back. This is their website if it helps. TigerlineTravel.com
Old 13-01-2012, 00:06   #15

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Ahoy Oz, yes, have done that trip with tigerline! Long and hot, drive down half way in a minibus from phuket, then island hop across to langkawi, arrive at dark, then wait for immigration and then taxi to cenang beach for accommodation, a hard way to do it, better to fly?

You will need at least 5 days in Langkawi as the yachts are spread out, a lot on rebak island, so speed boat across there during the day, remember, friday is always a holiday in malaysia, like our sunday, banks shut on sat and sunday.

Most of the decent yachts are for sale online, so check apollo duck etc, ask some locals to check pin up boards for numbers before you go and get onto skype and talk to the sellers.

Good luck from Keith.

Tags
Asia