Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-01-2012, 05:22   #16

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Brokers In south east asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Ahoy Oz, yes, have done that trip with tigerline! Long and hot, drive down half way in a minibus from phuket, then island hop across to langkawi, arrive at dark, then wait for immigration and then taxi to cenang beach for accommodation, a hard way to do it, better to fly?

You will need at least 5 days in Langkawi as the yachts are spread out, a lot on rebak island, so speed boat across there during the day, remember, friday is always a holiday in malaysia, like our sunday, banks shut on sat and sunday.

Most of the decent yachts are for sale online, so check apollo duck etc, ask some locals to check pin up boards for numbers before you go and get onto skype and talk to the sellers.

Good luck from Keith.
Thanks for that. Yes, I have looked at flying. But their doesn't appear to be an airline still flying that route. Google tells me that Happy Air (sounds scary) ceased flying LK to Pkt two years ago.

The road trip is certainly an option as we will get to get off the tourist route, which will be nice.

ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 05:43   #17

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Brokers in South East Asia

How about Firefly Phuket to Penang and ferry Penang to Langkawi or AA Penang to Langkawi

Old 15-01-2012, 15:09   #18

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. http://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Better still, charter a Benny 45' yacht in Phuket and sail it around Phang Na bay, see the sites! Stop at Phi Phi Don and all those beautiful islands, hire a Thai female cook and back scratcher and enjoy 10 days of fun, get the desire for your own boat out of your system?

Sail out on the West coast to the Similan islands and enjoy some of the best scuba diving experiences in the world!

I have done the road trip up from Langkawi to Phuket, and it was a shocker, as are all road trips in SE Asia, only did it cause I was carting 50 kilos of boat electronics with me and flights were too expensive with excess baggage.

Cat man do has some sensible advice.

Keith
Old 18-01-2012, 20:23   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Better still, charter a Benny 45' yacht in Phuket and sail it around Phang Na bay, see the sites! Stop at Phi Phi Don and all those beautiful islands, hire a Thai female cook and back scratcher and enjoy 10 days of fun, get the desire for your own boat out of your system?

Sail out on the West coast to the Similan islands and enjoy some of the best scuba diving experiences in the world!

I have done the road trip up from Langkawi to Phuket, and it was a shocker, as are all road trips in SE Asia, only did it cause I was carting 50 kilos of boat electronics with me and flights were too expensive with excess baggage.

Cat man do has some sensible advice.

Keith
Oh that desire has been there for 30years. Only twice in my life have I had a period without at least one water toy. Thanks for the tip on the road trip. The hot and stinky boat ride is looking like the best option at this stage.
Old 20-01-2012, 02:06   #20

We are new to yachting, well so new we do not have a boat yet. We are also looking for some help. We need a boat of 40 foot and $70000 I think. We have just finished a 2 year backpacking trip around the world, and now would like to do a similar thing sailing. Any ideas????
Old 21-01-2012, 22:07   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbrand View Post
We are new to yachting, well so new we do not have a boat yet. We are also looking for some help. We need a boat of 40 foot and $70000 I think. We have just finished a 2 year backpacking trip around the world, and now would like to do a similar thing sailing. Any ideas????
My first tip would be not to overcapitalize on the first boat. Small is great to learn on and get a feel for what you like. Not everyone needs a 50 foot world cruiser. When a 24 foot weekender can teach you the basics and let you break a few things without repairs that would costs much much more on a larger boat.

Then sell that boat and replace it with a bigger one, once you're ready to head out to sea on your own.

But like all things, lessons will accelerate your learning. head down to the local yacht club or sailing school and talk to them also. Crewing on race boats is also a great way to really speed up the learning curve.

Good luck and enjoy it

Tags
Asia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: