Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 14:17   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Boats priced in your range, with a broker fee of 10% split twice (listing and selling) then split 60/40 (60% to the central office and the rest to the broker), doesn't leave the broker with much incentive. Granted the paperwork's no more than a hour or so, and you do have to coordinate things, but it probably isn't worth the brokers effort.

You're not alone in this problem. Unless you agree to the asking price getting any broker to work with you isn't going to happen with any regularity. Here in Florida, brokers are required by law to present all offers to the seller. Whether the broker calls you back or wants to spend time haggling, isn't a law.

If you're dealing with the listing broker and getting that lack of service, unless you've got your own broker (and having one can pay for itself quickly) and s/he's willing to hound the other broker, things are going to go real slow.

As others have suggested, it's time to walk the docks, cruise the boat yards, and look behind folks houses for FOR SALE signs.
Old 06-10-2010, 14:31   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaasun71 View Post
I guess they dont want to bother with someone looking for a $30k boat.
I've run across this attitude in the past and really don't understand it for several reasons:
  • If you don't want to sell the boat, don't take the listing.
  • If you treat me like crap when I'm buying my starter boat, I'm not going to call you when I'm ready to trade up.
  • Sub $30k buyers are cash buyers.
  • The number of sub $30k boats out there is vast. The number of $100k+ boats out there is not as vast.
  • 10% of 30k is better than 10% of zero-k.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 15:36   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i didnt find any of my boats ever thru a broker--i found all of my boat thru word of mouth or from folks on the water or walking docks.my first ever boat in 1990 was from walking docks. this, muy final ever purchase, i found next door to me..
use craigs list and ebay and walk docks and look theu internet listings. good luck. if you know anyone in mexico-- use them too. mazatlan and san carlos are good areas to start.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 17:35   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sometimes, phone numbers or messages get lost or folks are dealing with problems for a few days. (Call me Pollyana.<G>)

If a second message doesn't get an answer, just tell the broker that if he is not interested in fulfilling his obligations, you will contact the owner directly and you'll respect his choice to not be part of the sale.

As Francis Bacon remarked, if you hit a mule with a stick you may not win his love and admiration, but you WILL GET HIS ATTENTION.

Could also be the broker knows the boat is a POS and is tired of wasting his time with it, so take nothing for granted.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 19:07   #20

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
other fish in the sea..other boats in the ocean..
Old 06-10-2010, 20:04   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
not all broker contracts are exclusive. I sold a boat with a broker that said flat out...if you find a buyer on your own, fine. Just tell me up front so I can pull the listing...no fee.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 20:22   #22

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
You don't have to use the listing broker. If you have a local broker you know, he can arrange to show you the boat and cost the other broker 1/2 of his commission. for the local broker its a deal as he has no listing expenses.
This is spot on..

Fire his butt... and get another broker to arange a showing and place your offer on the boat.

If your in San Diego get ahold of Deanna McCall...She will work her butt off for you..

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/deanna-mccall/b/247/999

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote