Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2015, 15:07   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Broker charging for a sea trial??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
That's almost how mine went. Offer with refundable earnest money contingent on sea trial and survey, seller accepts and is responsible for providing sea trial, I paid for haul out and survey, deal done, they took us out for Mexican food dinner
That is how I understood the OP. I guess he didn't use the term earnest money I thought it was implied. Maybe I was wrong, an offer without that could be a tire kicker and I could understand a broker wanting to get paid for a days time. I guess a refundable escrow pending a sea trial may be the difference. Maybe to OP will contribute?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 15:28   #62

Boat: Mustang 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No one's chasing 'The American Dream' in Hobart..??
Its my dream stay out of it
Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 15:31   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzerTom View Post
Are you a broker of the type the OP described?
Absolutely not. You're not, either.

I was pointing that out, that you're second guessing from the bleachers. That's all.

There are a number of responses here that are reasonable and logical, there are others who will never buy a boat from me.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 15:49   #64

Boat: CS36T

When it's the wrong boat as far as "condition or conditions" to the potential buyer, whatever, engine, hull, deck, test sail etc.......does that make those who are wise enough to walk or run away be labelled "tire kickers" food for thought for those brokers.
Old 27-02-2015, 16:10   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS Cruiser View Post
When it's the wrong boat as far as "condition or conditions" to the potential buyer, whatever, engine, hull, deck, test sail etc.......does that make those who are wise enough to walk or run away be labelled "tire kickers" food for thought for those brokers.
I'm not a fan of salesmen but I guess a broker is at the mercy of the seller. Often the seller probably has unrealistic expectation as to what their boat is worth. Lets face it, it isn't like real property which appreciates but some think that hole in the water should.
Old 27-02-2015, 16:21   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Brokers are necessary evils like politicians and bankers !
Old 27-02-2015, 16:27   #67

Boat: CS36T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm not a fan of salesmen but I guess a broker is at the mercy of the seller. Often the seller probably has unrealistic expectation as to what their boat is worth. Lets face it, it isn't like real property which appreciates but some think that hole in the water should.
Agree there's obviously a lot of scenarios that can and will affect all parties involved, as someone previously mentioned above open communication is best for all.

I've bought and sold privately and also with brokers, but always expected sea trial was normal proceedure, never was asked to pay and I never asked either.

Just felt it was part of selling the boat, and just expected to be able to do as a buyer as well.
Old 27-02-2015, 16:29   #68

Boat: Small and simple, under 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
That is how I understood the OP. I guess he didn't use the term earnest money I thought it was implied. Maybe I was wrong, an offer without that could be a tire kicker and I could understand a broker wanting to get paid for a days time. I guess a refundable escrow pending a sea trial may be the difference. Maybe to OP will contribute?
The broker was going to have me put in offer, plus the standard 10% earnest check. This is normal.. I pay for survey. This is also normal, but Then after offer was accepted to pay $125 for a sea trial.. this is what's a little weird. I have moved on and started looking at other boats now..

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-02-2015, 16:46   #69

Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht

I wasn't charged for a sea trial but I did have to put $10K down before I could sea trial it. It was also part of the pre buy inspection.
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 16:46   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney View Post
The broker was going to have me put in offer, plus the standard 10% earnest check. This is normal.. I pay for survey. This is also normal, but Then after offer was accepted to pay $125 for a sea trial.. this is what's a little weird. I have moved on and started looking at other boats now..

Walk but I wonder if the seller knows that. Everyone may have lost over $125. Not meaning to sound crass but we are only hearing one side of the story. From your side run it sounds like maybe pissing away $125.
Old 27-02-2015, 16:49   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Brokers are necessary evils like politicians and bankers !
Why are they necessary?

I've bought real property and cars all my life, both with and without middlemen.

In real property, in particular, things are easier with a real estate salesmen, but cars aren't any easier, and the process certainly takes longer.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 17:00   #72

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney View Post

Yup... That's the kind of deal I'd walk away from just out of principle... Only if the broker/seller didn't think one is a legitimate buyer would they try a test drive fee. Also makes me wonder if the broker/seller knew there was something wrong that would come out in the sea trial.
Old 27-02-2015, 17:07   #73

Boat: Traditional 30

RANT

I am in the process of looking for a boat at the moment. My experience with four brokers, so far, is that they dont like to chat- rather the "send me an email with your questions" palm off seems to work well.

They dont seem to like following up. Four brokers have my number and not one has called me to see how my "shopping" is going or to offer alternate boats. If I were a vendor, I would be pretty upset with my broker if he wasnt actively calling and following up people who have fat wallets.

In Aus, it really is a buyers market. With the commissions brokers charge, they should do a lot more for the vendors- much more!

It stands to reason, that when I sell my next boat, it will be based on the experience I get now. I sold my last three privately. I am pretty sure I will do the same this time.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 17:08   #74

"When it's the wrong boat as far as "condition or conditions" to the potential buyer, whatever, engine, hull, deck, test sail etc.......does that make those who are wise enough to walk or run away be labelled "tire kickers" food for thought for those brokers."

Can't think of ANY reason to pay a fee to buy something.
It's a BUYERS market out there!
If I am Seller I'd do whatever it takes to make the Sale! Cost of doing business.Brokers get their rice bowl for doing just this !

Certainly isn't a question of me "wasting sellers time' or, "kicking tires'.
$40K on a car-test drive,even for entire day or more.Buying a home,I'm in there for entire day if needed plus inspection.Is there a fee for these ? No.

A boat is even worse in that many systems must function and cost will never increase in value.Never Never fall in love with boat.

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 17:45   #75

It would seem the most vocal here are those without boat. Just saying.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging