Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2008, 03:05   #1
SRB

Boat: 'Caprella' Elizabethan 23
British Summer Time!

Just wanted to post and share my frustration at this years British weather. I remember Winter cold and wet, I remember Spring not so cold wet and windy, and now it seems to be Autumn with wet and windy weather. I think somewhere in there Summer raised its head for 24 hours, eight of which I was probably asleep! Has anyone else had poor Summers where you are? Yesterday summed it up for me, this being the second week of my two weeks off; sat on my boat on the river with gales blowing gusting severe gale. Otherwise calm river heavy chop, and every time I opened the hatch to enjoy a cup of tea in the cockpit, the rain would set in again. Maybe the weather Gods will be kinder once I have had my boat naming ceremony. Now I enjoy a bit of weather when boating but I would at least like to get the boat out! Yes I know we here in the UK are used to rain and more rain but at least let us have some Summertime, please!
Off now to dry yet another set of clothes!
SRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 04:03   #2

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Yes, after a long, brutal winter we had about a week of summer weather in the spring, followed apparently by an extended autumn. Just miserable. Where is this global warming everybody keeps talking about?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 04:57   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Cool

agree on the climate change theory but i believe it is getting colder. that being said .. we have had 2 months of brutally hot weather here in north florida with plenty of humidity thrown in. we had a cold front come thru yesterday to drop high temps back into the 80s. i too have been seeking dry clothes but this is caused by sweat .. not rain.
Old 14-08-2008, 08:28   #4

Boat: Fastback 43
We have had unusually good weather here in central Ohio. (about 150 miles south of Lake Erie). August is usually hot, humid, and calm. This year we have had cool, dry weather, although still not as much wind as June. Highs have been around 80F instead of 90 to 100. Last year we had something like 10 days over 100 and 5 at 105.

Sorry for your bad weather. Global warming seems to result in some local cooling.

Ron
bix85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 09:24   #5

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Hi SRB
Incredible! I have literally just replied to my pal Fred, living on his 39 foot Bavaria in Brighton Marina and lamenting the one weekend he got out this summer, which turned into a raging So’westerly.
Quote:
“I gat’ta say mate! It never ceases to amaze me ever since I left in September 1977, (mainly because of the weather), how Englishmen continue to lament the bloody awful sailing conditions they encounter, like it was some mysterious phenomenon never before seen, even in August. So what can I say, except “get the hell out of Dodge, ASAP!” End quote.

Fred is trying to arrange this for next year and wants me to crew him to Croatia, which seems to be the latest best place to keep a boat in the Meddi’. I told him I’d meet him in Gib’ and do the last leg. Well, what are friends for…..
I once lived in England and now in Florida, which “ain’t half ot mum”, but a darn sight nicer than Brighton.
I also thought I would cheer him up a bit by adding that he will soon have the lovely English winter to look forward to. At least you guys have decent pubs.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 09:31   #6

I spent 4 wonderful Sunny days in Sept of 05 in England and another 2 days up in Scotland + one rainy one . . . Maybe your Sept will be better?

Everybody told me that it was not "normal" weather for the island . . .

Shawn
Shawn T W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 09:35   #7

Winters here in the Pacific Northwest have gotten colder the past few years, the Springs have gotten warmer, but the Summers have remained absolutely perfect....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 10:03   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
SRB,

You have my complete sympathy. All of our British friends here on Nevis come back from their visits to the "Old Country" with horrible tales of ghastly weather, and offer prayers of thanks for being back in the 27 C, sunny, breezy tropics.

Living and sailing in Great Britain must be what my father used to call a "character building experience".
Old 14-08-2008, 10:42   #9
SRB

Living and sailing in Great Britain must be what my father used to call a "character building experience". [/quote]

Well, we do have many characters over here! But as for character building, maybe the first couple of seasons gets the salt into the skin and gives you a right of passage to being a seasoned old tar, but after year after year of it it is more sould destroying. Ah for drifting in the Doldrums or sat in a Florida marina having a cold Guinness, or coasting up the Whitsundays in Australia with a VB (Aussie beer I call lager!) at anchor......stop it, stop it! I must be strong, and just put up with it I guess. Fortunately Friday seems actually quite a nice day so fingers crossed (that means hopefully) I get all sail up and point towards the Needles (Isle of Wight) and have a fine old time. Lee Ho!
Old 14-08-2008, 11:07   #10

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
"Character building" is what everyone who doesn't sail in England calls the "changeable" weather. Englishmen call it other things....all of them unprintable.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 11:32   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Weather forecast from the BEEB. A bit of sun on Friday, but the winds won't be ripping, will they? A true sailor takes what he can get!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBC.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	4706  
Old 14-08-2008, 12:00   #12
SRB

Hi Hud3
Yes that's the screen I look at, among others. Does look like a good one Friday, and as you say time to get the sailing in while I can. Probably mix in some sailing with some drift fishing round Hengistbury Head. Breeze will probably pick up towards lunchtime then hopefully drop off round 5 ish. Low water is around 4 so probably anchor up and wait for the tide to flood as I need to enter Christchurch minimum LW +2hrs. Off to check the tables! And pack the biscuits!
Old 14-08-2008, 14:10   #13

Short summers is the biggest problem, and dark winters. And that is why we are planning a long cruise...
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 16:10   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

South, I hope.....
Old 14-08-2008, 22:21   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Singapore Summer

Summer? What's that? We get this every day...

+9kts on a Bene, +28C and me in my foulies...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bow1.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	4707  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote