Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2014, 15:20   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Britains new pricing structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Or large boats for coastal sailing. I really do think those with little boats just seem to get so much use of of them.

Last weekend I was boxed in a marina in Cowes. No chance of reversing out without risking an awful lot of expensive gin palace motor boats on the way. But there was just enough room to turn her around and drive out forwards. Untied her, gave her a push and a tug on a rope and around she went. Hopped on board and off I went single handed leaving the motor boats to there parking dilemma.

The UK has had strong inflation despite what the Gov has been saying and with pay rises in the doldrums we are all effectively poorer and I can't see it changing any time soon. Plus the European Central Bank is thinking of copying the US and starting up the printing presses, god only knows were that will end.

The Catamaran might have sold for a good price a couple of years ago but the £ has strengthened against the $ and Euro so isn't as competative as it might have been, oh and its the end of summer, dreadful time to sell a boat in Europe.
I think you nailed it Pete.
For my needs, mono or Cat, I dont see that going over 38 foot is a necessity. Yes Id love a Mcgregor 65 but...... there is only me and space in a Cat is adequate at 30 foot, and even in that I can have friends stop overnight.

I have set my criteria at two cabins and a shower. Thats it. By cabin I mean separate sleeping areas that are private. One at the bow and one in the stern preferably. On a Cat there probably would be 4 double berths in a 34 footer

Smaller boats rock for lots of reasons...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:40   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Britains new pricing structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

[/I][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Im going to watch this new sale on 1994 Catalac 900 sailing catamaran, Quick sale now needed, greatly reduced! | eBay with interest and see if the price moves to his minimum even.........

There are any number of Catalac 8 and 9s for 20k-27k avaialable. Probably this one is at the top end of quality but price always wins......
I really hope he gets what he needs as it is clear he has a well prepared boat but...

I think we are going to find the pre-2000 sub 38 foot catamarans are going to fade away.

The boomers have spoken and they want 38-40+ feet and they want lagoon, leopard & FP looks.

I think if you drop $15-20k on a 30 foot catamaran refit you should plan to keep it because your money is not coming out in the sale.

These older cats are gonna make excellent entry level cats for those who can't afford $200k+
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 00:23   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Britains New Pricing Structure

Well: Simonmd posted this on his auction on Ebay. It made (I think) 28K sterling on the first placement, It did not reach his reserve so the ad is re running.

"Before we start, it should be noted that although i'm willing to take a large reduction on what this boat is worth to get a quick sale. i'm NOT going to give it away! Some of you may have seen this advertised before for £45,000 which is it's agreed insurance valuation so if you only have £20k to spend, don't waste your time. The reserve is set at £35k, that's what I bought her for three years ago BEFORE I spent £10k on upgrades, etc.so please bear this in mind before you bid. If you can find another mid 1990's catamaran that is fully spec'd up and ready for full time live aboard for under £40k then i'd be amazed!"

Now this is a particularly nice example of the marque. Lots of extras etc. boatman61 delivered it for him from the U.K.

One year ago nearly, I was interested in it but not at 45K.

As I write this, there is 8 hours and 50 minutes to go before the end of the auction and it stands at 25200K as the highest offer. In order to meet his reserve, the price must go up by 8K sterling.

There are any number of Catalac 8 and 9s for sale all over the UK for under 28K. Some have been for sale in my experience for nearly two years. On ebay right now there is a lovely 8 priced at 22k and an auction starting at 1k on another.

I can only feel sympathy for anyone invested heavily in a vessel and trying to get out of it in a depressed market. In saying that, it is time that a "realistic" pricing structure hits the older catamaran designs. It just needs to have the reality check that other vessels have in terms of refurbishment costs etc. Due to this reason, I had begun to look at motor Sailers a little harder as better value for my money and cheaper ongoing costs for the type of Med sailing I envisioned.

I did not want to put 45K sterling into a Catamaran, spend another 15K on it and have a vessel only worth at the most half of the value.

Im still loving running around in the Centaur. The marque has settled in and around 7k Sterling and is excellent value for money. A great little boat.
Old 09-09-2014, 00:57   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Some thoughts.... used is used and old is old....and as has been said before, anything... boat, house, car, stamp collection... is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

A major problem even before the coming of the internet was that, if you had a pristine Ferret 45 for sale for $100k in Geelong the punters would say..'yes but there is one in Trade-a-boat up in Darwin for $45k..... ' Nevermind that the one in darwin is a knackered hulk .... and its in darwin. Bad will always drag down good.

I like to think I am a realist.... I've had 20 years out of my boat... if I gave it away tomorrow the depreciation would 5k a year or 5%.... find me any other consumer durable that would hold up so well.

I had an interesting chat a few months ago on arrival NZ.... I had declared the boat's value at $x... customs said 'but 12 years ago when here last you said it was worth $2.5x'..'yes but its 12 year older and knackered'... the bugger won... its entered at a value of $2.5x.
Speaking of which..... Weavis... you like Westerlys... just for you.... 31/64ths of mine for free... as long as you agree to pick up up 31/64ths of the refit bill .... can't be much fairer than that
Old 09-09-2014, 02:20   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Speaking of which..... Weavis... you like Westerlys... just for you.... 31/64ths of mine for free... as long as you agree to pick up up 31/64ths of the refit bill .... can't be much fairer than that
Oh Im sure you can if you really really try....

If we like it we spend on it.......... In this day and age if I purchase a car or a boat, I look at it as a write off in terms of returning the money. I have colleagues and friends with LOVELY and fantastic boats that they cannot give away at modest prices...........so Im not looking outside of my comfort zone for writing off a vessel.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:08   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just happened to catch the last 35 seconds of the auction. Went from 25200 to 28600 Sterling.

Simonmd had already stated the reserve was 35000 Sterling. Go figure.

Unless someone really wants a particular vessel, the new 'value' for older Cats is now in place. Its going to hit all models in due course. There just is not the money flowing for premium prices for older vessels in Europe.

So rather than lose 17000 Sterling, I guess Simon has a boat to look after and maintain. So many people in that position these days.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:25   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I thought that was a fair price at this time of year and given the location which might not suit many folk. Looks a nice boat too.

Seen this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTOR-SAIL...33238391&rt=nc

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:31   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

This looks interesting, just wondering if it can really sail or just too top heavy:

yacht 36ft Junk rigged schooner chineel | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chineel.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	88005  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:13   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My preference is for Cats. In saying that, I love boating. I love boats. So I look at all vessels for sale with an open mind. I do like Motor sailers and boats with character.

Ive visited several boats for sale on Ebay when nephew was looking before the Centaur was purchased, and loved a few of the designs.

Though I will retain my preference, There is no malice in me toward good monohulls whatsoever.