Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2003, 09:53   #1

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Bringing in the sheens

Hi everyone,

I'm curious as to what all you guys do to maintain the exterior of your boats. By that I mean, do you completely wax the boat, hull and topsides? I've never waxed my boats topsides because I was concerned with getting it too slippery. What have you found that works best? Also, I've got some small scratches on the port side of my boat where some knucklehead (????) allowed her to scrap a floating dock. I've filled the scratches in with a recommended epoxy type filler, but it's still pretty noticable...at least to me Any suggestions?
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2003, 12:47   #2

Stede...the Faithful is AWL grip paint, and I wax the topsides (the topsides are the part of the hull from the water line out of the water to the hull/deck joint...Often people mistakenly call the "deck" the "topsides"... It can be confusing because "going topside does mean to go up on deck, but the deck and the topsides are two different parts of a boat! Topsides are sometimes called "freeboard" too, though technically the real and correct name is "topsides") So, slippery topsides are good...depending on hull design, when your boat is heeled to some point they are probably in the water as wetted surface, so the slippery the better ! I have ablative bottom paint, so obviously never wax that, and my decks, also painted, are waxed when I leave Faithful during the off season (which is the middle of summer where I currently am) for protection only, then the decks are washed and de-waxed, and I do not wax them at all while Faithful is on the water...
days of sparkling waters, nights of falling stars

I've got seashells, I've got souvenirs, I've got songs I've penned
I've got phographs, I've got memories, but mostly I've got friends

See the Faithful...
www.geocities.com/bradleybarrett
bradbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2003, 14:12   #3

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Hey Brad,and all,

I stand nautically corrected. I know you are indeed correct about the location of "topsides." When I typed my note,I was at work and something didn't sound "right" about it, but I was in a hurry so I let'er rip. I'm in a strange situation. My boss got kind of a demotion. His replacement took his office,so now he's moved in with me in my office.It's totally screwed up my nautical cyber experience. Next, I guess they'll expect me to start working or something!! Where will it end?? He's also getting on my nerves.I've decided to move my office and grab one with an outside window. I guess that'll show him I know how to play "hard-ball" Anyway, you're right. When I typed my message I was thinking of going up top,thus "topsides."
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote