Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-02-2015, 06:39   #16
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Bringing a sail into Australia for a visiting yacht

most airports do NOT have out of hours Customs offices, so I expect Australia is no different, They may have out of hours customs officials but thats different.

What happens I think is the luck of the draw. I once brought 250Kg of personal luggage ( long story) that was all boat parts , into Faro in Portugal from the US, without a blink from customs. Yet I once saw am American "drop" a QUART of finest kentucky whiskey on the floor at Shannon Airport in ireland , when he was asked to pay duty. Grown men were weeping.

dave

Old 04-02-2015, 07:42   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Instead of a train from Newcastle to Sydney you could use the....boat.

Sail down and have a few days in Sydney Harbour.

To get to and from the airport the closest train station to the water is from Blackwattle Bay. Use dinghy dock at the Sydney Fish Market and walkto Town Hall Station. Returning with the sail, train to Central, Light Rail to Fish Market!

Then spend a few days in Store Bay. Luxury!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:13   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

With much international smuggling experience, I live in Germany, but am American. I am always bringing "stuff" from the US. Prices for boat items in Europe are insane.

Sometimes in Frankfurt or Düsseldorf there isn't anyone at the customs control at all, so I just breeze through.

I say, stuff the UNFOLDED sail into an Army duffelbag and say it is used and was a gift from a sailor who hardly used it.

The worst that could happen is that they try to "value" the used sail.

If that's the only dutiable item you are carrying, they will probably let you pass.

Just smile a lot...and thank them to death.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:15   #19

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

If you do get sprung for GST just make sure you leave for NZ within the 60 days and claim the GST back upon departure, you should be able to do that on your yacht on the day that you leave. If you are going to NZ it may pay to buy a swag of stuff before leaving oz.... the NZ dollar is almost at parity with the $A just now and NZ isn't as cheap as it was.

When I cleared out of Oz 12 years ago I had bought that much boat stuff in the several days before departure that when I arrived in NZ I found that they had 'stopped' my credit cards.

I took a new genniker (sp) out of Melbourne airport last year.... as it was hold baggage I had to show it to the customs man on the ground floor before checking it in and then show the stamped receipt at the TRS desk once through emmigration. If its something small you have to show the item at that point.
I slide the paper across her desk... she sez 'wots this?'.. I sez 'a sail for me boat' ... she looks at me funny and sez 'how big is your boat?' I sez 'pretty big'... she looks at me and my small back pack a bit funnier ... which is when I realize the custom's man down stairs had stamped the back of my paperwork....

Well, I thought it was funny..... YMMV
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:21   #20

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

And also... Melbourne has a 24 hour customs office at arrivals... you just have to ring the door bell 'after hours' if outbound. Inbound thats what all those nice people upstairs are doing in arrivals. Sydney would be the same.
Just tell em you have been on a farm in the last few weeks, that always concentrates their minds and quite often they will take your shoes away and bring them back a few minutes later all nice and clean.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 20:24   #21

Boat: 1973 CHB sedan

The way I see it is that you have a CC Permit for your yacht, you have equipment that belongs to the yacht, you are leaving when Permit expires, if asked at customs desk "do you have anything to declare" the answer is No. There are two exits from customs hall, 1. Items to declare 2. no items to declare, all carried items will go through an xray unit then you are off.
Old 04-02-2015, 20:33   #22

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
most airports do NOT have out of hours Customs offices, so I expect Australia is no different, They may have out of hours customs officials but thats different.

What happens I think is the luck of the draw. I once brought 250Kg of personal luggage ( long story) that was all boat parts , into Faro in Portugal from the US, without a blink from customs. Yet I once saw am American "drop" a QUART of finest kentucky whiskey on the floor at Shannon Airport in ireland , when he was asked to pay duty. Grown men were weeping.

dave
Both the customs halls in sydney international airport have a duty desk where they accept cash or card, for the payment of duties and or peanalities, available whenever the airport is open.
Located nearby is a large customs house, operating hours are as you were quoted.
Hope this helps.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 15:12   #23

Boat: Huon 33

So Harlequin.... What was the outcome?.... Did you pay??

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-09-2015, 15:43   #24

Boat: Bavaria Vision 44

Long story. My return was delayed, so I didn't re-enter with the sail for some time, by which stage it was easier to just go with the flow and wheel the sail through. I was asked what it was, "A sail", then cleared to proceed. Snagless.

However comma, the sail didn't quite fit, and came with a blue (rather than white) dacron UV strip, which I didn't order and didn't want, so had to take it back to the sailmaker for correction.

I expect to return it to the boat late next month, just before we depart for NZ in November...
Old 21-09-2015, 16:45   #25

Boat: Huon 33
Bringing a sail into Australia for a visiting yacht

Great Story!
Old 21-09-2015, 17:08   #26
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Definitely a used sail this time

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, sail, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: