Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 11:56   #1

break away --- now or later

I'm trying to decide to break away now or later. Im 40 and the wife is 30. I'm a bar/rest. manager.(Tampa , Fla) We have a newborn (2 months). I plan to buy a used boat (around 35 ft) for around 50K and can put in another 10K in upgrades and supplies. We plan to sail the Carib. for 1 yr. We'll have about $1200 a month for the kitty. We will be ready in 12 -14 months, and the baby, by then, will be 14 months. After the purchase of the boat and the 1 yr of expenses for the trip, Ill have about 60K in a CD and the sailboat to come back to .

Has anyone sailed with a 14 month old baby? We are a bit worried about the baby being too young.

Is $1200/ month realistic?

With all this in mind, am I a bit crazy to have a baby on board and come back to 60K and a boat?

Should I wait more time, make a little more and wait till the baby older?

Again this is a 1 yr cruise and we plan to work again

Thanks in advance
barmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:20   #2

I say go.

For inspiration, I'd recommend the book 'Into the Light' by Dave and Jaja Martin. It's about a couple of years they spent cruising to Iceland and northern Norway. I really enjoyed it. They have cruised with their children, even when they were very young.

There's an interview with them, half way down this page:

Ice Blink

All the best.
sgtPluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:23   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Barmen:

There are many threads on budgets through out here but to summarize them -- you can make do with what you have. As far as having a baby onboard as you know they will be extra work but there have been families that have done this with children as young as yours. IMHO the child will not get as much out of it as they would at an older age. Given your skills you may be able to get work at the resorts anyway and wouldn't have to come back so soon. I'm 44 and trying to breakaway. It seems like the younger you are the better. Less to tie you down. Good luck with whatevr decision you make.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 13:49   #4
cruiser

This is absolutely do-able.

The $1200/mo figure will be enough to keep that boat up, keep you in food, fuel and water and even allow some fun along the way.

I see nothing wrong with this plan, though I can't comment on the kids part.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 15:18   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
GO NOW & never look back. You will have regrets when your back ,knees, memory, and everything else goes bad.....ESPECIALLY YOUR STRENGTH!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 15:38   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Me no kids - but folk do have kids onboard of all shapes and sizes (Boats and Kids!).....budget wise my gut says "doable", but I am a bit short on first hand experiance that directly relates to you / your neck of the woods........but I would mention that 12 months x USD1200 is USD14,400......so, if you are 1/3rd over on the budgetting that is USD1600 a month and coming back after 9 months, which in my book is hardly a disaster!

Coming back to USD60k and a boat after a year out? Go for it! - yer will never get that year back - money comes and goes (and when lucky / work hard.......comes back again ).

However my caution would be (given your family responsibilities) to consider carefully your options of being employed again once shoreside.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 17:17   #7

Your plan sounds pretty spot on to me. Thumbs up.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 19:23   #8

I forgot to put in my disclaimer -- If you are looking for a fair and balanced opinion on this you've come to the wrong place. If you want people to agree with your plan and maybe improve on it a little well yopu've got the right spot.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 12-04-2008, 19:41   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Life is short and death is long.

Go for your dreams while you are healthy and can still afford them.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 21:17   #10

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just looking for a push.... into the sea. Now for a boat. Since I have about 50 K and plan on doing the Caribbean slowly, I'm looking at an early 90's coastal cruiser(34 or 36) in good condition. (Benes, Catalinas..... ) advice??

What would be worth the $$ for a yr in the Carib. and what would not be (this won't be a long term liveaboard) ??

Water maker, SSB with ham , port. gen. , windlass , air cond. , refrig. full insurance vs liablity...

Thanks for your time
barmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 21:27   #11

If it isn't a long time thing I would forget the SSB and watermaker. Try and get good tankage instead. A/C is hard unless you are going to be at the dock alot but that would blow your budget. Windlass is good refer's are great when they are working.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 12-04-2008, 23:10   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Look at a Pearson 365 cutter or sloop. Lots of room, some nice design features for actually living aboard, and shallow draft. Not great sailors but adequate and you're cruising anyway.

A good windlass is priceless, canvas awnings to cover the deck do away with the need for air conditioning. Being at anchor keeps air flowing through the boat and cuts way down on expenses. If you need A/C to cruise you aren't cruising. You shouldn't need a watermaker if you rig the canvas to catch water. Some areas like Baja, CA and other desert locations do need watermakers. A ham radio is way cheaper than Marine SSB and the knowledge gained getting the license is very beneficial. A couple of solar panels and/or wind generator should supply all the power you need. Refrigeration is a pain in the butt to keep running and an energy hog. You not only need to have the tools and expertise to maintain refrigeration but the generating power to keep it running. Try eating food at room temp. Really amazing how much better it tastes. In any case, food will keep a couple of days without refrigeration and mayonaisse doesn't need refrigeration at all. Do get a windvane. Being a slave to the helm is PITA. Autopilots are nice but electrickery is just a failure waiting to happen.

With your job skills, bet you could leave and never come back. People with expertise in Restaurant/hotel management are in great demand anywhere there are tourists. Work permits may not be easy but you probably could hire out as a consultant to skirt the labor laws.

We went when we were in our early 30's. The best times of our lives and something we've never regretted doing. Just wish we'd stayed out longer. We knew a number of couples on very small boats with small children. Having the parents around 24/7 seemed to do the kids a world of good. It will be a challenge, howver, as that mobile age between 1 and 2 without reason is interesting.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote