Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2009, 06:38   #1

Boat: SV Quiet Passage
Brands, Brands, Brands . . . .

I've been a small boat sailor all my life and have owned up to a 20' day sailer. I'm now looking toward buying a boat to retire on and do some coastal cruising, but frankly, I am flat overwhelmed by the sheer number of boat brands and don't really know which way to look. I'm really looking for a thumbnail sketch of brands so I would know what to avoid, (I read the thread on the sunken Clipper Marine and it raised my hackles) and know what should be considered. For instance, I found a beautiful Seidlemann 30 that I could afford and I like th elook of, but . . . .

My criteria is comfort and something that I can handle alone if need be in comfortable sailing weather. Is there an internet resource I can look through?
Alan Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 06:46   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
This is a good question.
I still do the rounds of the online brokers and once ive discounted the obvious charactaristics like wood, steel or ferro hulls and petrol engines, then refine further along the lines of length and budget, and for sale in UK waters, im left with a dozen or so brands which I know little about.

How does one see the woods for the trees?
Old 23-12-2009, 06:47   #3

Oh God, I am so glad I am not alone here.
Old 23-12-2009, 06:57   #4

Is it better to go for a much older hull thats well made from a good boatyard, but now very cheap, and spend the money refitting with modern technology, or try to get as much 'newer' boat as you can for the .money

The reason I ask this is because it seems which ever way i look at it, I cant tick all the boxes Im looking for, so why try when if I started with the right hull, I could custom build the rest provided its within budget.

Put a rebuilt engine in, and be confident of its history, new wiring to current standards and tailored to my needs, same with water system, plus cabin space redesigned to my needs and not styled to 40 yr old taste.

Sorry to hijack your thread Alan but maybe your thinking the same?
Old 23-12-2009, 07:02   #5

I'm fairly handy with my hand, I rebuilt the little Montego when I bought her, and living aboard will be a damned good spur to do what needs to be done, so yes, this is pretty much my plan. I just need to make sure its a good hull to begin with.
Old 23-12-2009, 08:39   #6

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
These are really good:

bristol channel cutter Boats For Sale

This one is trailorable, seaworthy and as for small, well yeah! Not sure what you are looking for really.

1980 Falmouth Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=
Old 23-12-2009, 09:52   #7

Boat: Irwin 40
There is a lot to be considered here beyond brand, age or whatever alone. I would recommend making a list of things. Such as size, your sailing abilities, where you plan to sail, how long do you plan to keep the boat, what is your budget, what is your skill level as far as fixing a boat, how much free time will you have to work on it, and on and on. I would recommend narrowing things down a bit then come back and ask the same question. You will likely find the thinking will be more focused and you can get some good suggestions.

Fair Winds
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 10:40   #8

Well, size, around 30', and I have decent basic sailing skills, been on and off the water for 40 years in small boats. I plan to putter around the Pamlico and Albemarle sound for several years, and maybe do some coastal cruising up and down the east coast later on. My budget is tight, up to around $20k. I am fairly handy and learn fast, as I mentioned the Montego I owned had to be rebuilt, including replacing a rotted bulkhead, not that I particularly want to ever do that again. As far as free time, I am retiring at the end of January so, other than working on art projects, this will be my life. I am not necessarily looking for specific boat recommendations right now as much as I am looking for don't buy band X and other advice as you folks can offer.
Old 23-12-2009, 11:43   #9
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
In my mind brand name in an old boat is not worth all that much. Yes name can effect price due to rep, but for an old boat it is worthless. Find a boat that matches your wants at a good price and spend more on the survey. What really matters is the condition of the boat, not it's name!
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 11:47   #10

Maybe, but as Francis Chichester found out, all may not be as it seems
Old 23-12-2009, 11:57   #11

Well, I have already picked up some good tips here and will keep my eyes and ears open.