Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 13:10   #61

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: Bowsprit replacement?

I am finally at the end-game for this bowsprit. It hasn’t just been the work itself which caused a delay, but also my recovery from a broken leg, which occurred at the same time I discovered the rot.
I have had the sprit made from 6061 aluminum and powder coated. It came back this week. We then removed the old one, and I have been preparing the stemhead. We should have it in place by next week. It took two weeks to build, and cost $1550 total. I had quotes in wood $2300 and $2800 with no delivery time.
One thing which is interesting is the weight difference. The old Douglas Fir sprit weighed 116 Lbs and the new ally’ one is 96 Lbs.
Here are two pictures, one in construction and the other on the dock.
I’m writing an article about it for Good Old Boat magazine, so I can’t give too much away and will advise when it is to be published.
Thanks for everyone’s interest. It has been a long road, for a broken bowsprit and a broken leg.
JR
Old 10-02-2016, 04:59   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I totally forgot about running flexural numbers for you!!!!

I'm an ass...

It was just an exercise anyway.... You know that right?

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:28   #63
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

glad your leg is better and the sprit looks good.
i will be making me some horizontal spars of perota, a mexican wood also known as ipe or guanacaxtle or huanacaxtle wood.
my mizzenboom rotted midpoint, so i made new-- cost me 1200 pesos at 16 to one usd, and the wood has anti rot, anti insect characteristics , similar to thai cedar and teak. my rotted boom was thai cedar.
so far, my only vertical spar fail was and is from patricia, which i hope will be a retired name for storms. bitch hurt.
i have these wood spars, which when i obtained my boat were original and no rot, because i enjoy wood and wood spars replace soo very much easier than do aluminum.
1200 pesos as opposed to a thousand usdollars or more?? thankyou--- aluminum would be much more than the 1000 usd that is needed in usa to consider the replacement and or repair the boom.
and adding aluminum, to me, befouls the character of the boat. i enjoy my boat. 40 yr old spars usually need attention, whether aluminum or wood. so my boat has excellent bones and good character, which she will keep , if not improve.
wood is less pricey to obtain and repair than is aluminum. price to replace my mizzen mast with wood--- under 1000 usd. to replace it with aluminum--- more than 5000 usd.
folks who shout replace it with aluminum do not realize the boat needs modification to accept an aluminum spar. they weigh differently and act differently than the original design allowed and possess a different shape than does hollow box wood.
wood is not scary material and does n ot rot without reason. donot give it that reason.
i research to see what wood is truly best at insect repelling and rot prevention, and i move from there.
if you used fir--keep an eye for rot and insects. do not paint the spars, as you will not be able to see the rot when it is still treatable.
mine were/are painted--the new one is so pretty it will be clear coated, as will my new ones pending.
i had the new spar painted with epoxy before assembly and after--inside and out. prevent fresh water ingress, as that is rot creator.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:15   #64
cruiser

What is the best wood to make it from, (or have it made)?

......Sitka Spruce, treated with Sikkens

and where to get it. I know this one....

http://www.stonesmarinetimber.com/index.html
seaward 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:09   #65
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

best woods--- perota, spruce, treated fir, cypress, any light hard wood that loves salt water and air.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 10:39   #66

I have just posted a page on my website about how the new bowsprit project has been completed. Thanks for everyone’s participation, and I hope it will be helpful to others who find themselves with the same problem.
JR
Old 22-02-2016, 10:57   #67

Boat: possible Union 36 Rehab

Congatulations! Looks solid for sure

Thank you for sharing.
BigSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 17:34   #68

The article I wrote about rebuilding my new bowsprit was published two months ago, in Good Old Boat magazine. This gives me leave to publish it in my own website. NEW BOWSPRIT
The sprit is still perfect, (even though it was knocked about a bit by hurricane Mathew), and I would like to thank all CF members who gave me advise and encouragement, to get the job done. I hope you like the read.
JR

Tags
bowsprit, men