Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2015, 06:25   #16

Boat: Dufour 310
Re: Botany Bay to Pittwater

My boat is in Pittwater so love to know if the mechanic turns out to be any good.?

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 02:30   #17

Boat: South Coast 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
My boat is in Pittwater so love to know if the mechanic turns out to be any good.?

Hi Ben373

I will post cost / service etc when to hand.
Mocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 02:36   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard Righ View Post
Hi,

distance from Botany Bay to Barren Joey light is (very) roughly 36 nautical miles. so depending on your speed - and weather- that should take about 6 or 7 hours.
Hi Ard Righ
You are pretty spot on as Captain Cook Bridge to La Perouse is 5 nautical miles which took me an hour. Then from Barrenjoey Light house to McCarrs Creek where Pittwater Marine is another 4.7 miles so another hour all up from my mooring in Gawley Bay to Pittwater Marine = 9 hours But from Botany bay entrance to Barenjoey is 7 hours.
I am glad I am not out there now.
Old 20-04-2015, 02:52   #19

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Ermmm...I got stuck up in Pittwater a few years ago with a bad clutch – the guys I went to up there couldnt find the parts (I did that myself) and quoted me more than 10 times the eventual cost of the repairs – for which I enlisted the help of a marine repair co. that now has its offices down by Botany Bay although I did all the onboard work myself – ie removing the gearbox and stripping out the clutchcase. Good luck going up there mate, you're swimming with sharks.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 03:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
Ermmm...I got stuck up in Pittwater a few years ago with a bad clutch – the guys I went to up there couldnt find the parts (I did that myself) and quoted me more than 10 times the eventual cost of the repairs – for which I enlisted the help of a marine repair co. that now has its offices down by Botany Bay although I did all the onboard work myself – ie removing the gearbox and stripping out the clutchcase. Good luck going up there mate, you're swimming with sharks.
Hi charliehows,

I hear you loud and clear, a few years ago I had the mechanics at the Spit put an outboard on the back of a 28fter and the final bill was 5 times higher than quoted because of "problems" encountered. I am in the electrical industry and a 7 hole neutral link cost around $10. saw the same in the whitworth cat, they call it a buss bar and had $54 on it. I have already warned them that I am a member of this site and I will report their service and pricing , good or bad.
I couldn't even get any mechanic in Botany bay to look at my boat. They are all flat out.
There are way too many sharks in this industry.. which spoils it...
Old 20-04-2015, 20:48   #21

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

The trouble is that for every one of us normal people there's half a dozen chequebook boys who dont really have a clue how much things are worth and the service industries get used to charging as much as they like – eventually you find yourself entering a parallel universe where everything just costs 10 times what it should.

If you dont subscribe to the "boat=hole in the ocean you throw money into" school, you have to figure out how to solve your problems on your own – which in the long run is quite satisfying and sort of fits with the requirements to keep a boat afloat once you get into the remoter parts of the planet...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 21:54   #22

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocking View Post
Hi charliehows,

I hear you loud and clear, a few years ago I had the mechanics at the Spit put an outboard on the back of a 28fter and the final bill was 5 times higher than quoted because of "problems" encountered. I am in the electrical industry and a 7 hole neutral link cost around $10. saw the same in the whitworth cat, they call it a buss bar and had $54 on it. I have already warned them that I am a member of this site and I will report their service and pricing , good or bad.
I couldn't even get any mechanic in Botany bay to look at my boat. They are all flat out.
There are way too many sharks in this industry.. which spoils it...
Hi, there is business in Taren Point that services diesel trucks, any flavour and any work. I have used them on a small truck and they were good, they do onsite servicing and I think I have seen thier truck at the hole in the wall boat ramp, so very close to you.
You could ask, you never know ! They are just opposite J car electronics.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 22:18   #23

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Well I don't think any one will be going any where in next few days with the current storm just watching ABC news showing yachts and boats severely damaged with seas up to 15 meters all major ports closed for shipping 100 mph winds and expected to get stronger around mid nite Oz time Sydney harbour closed with a cruise ship stuck out side the heads unable to enter a few sea sick old Grays out there
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 00:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, there is business in Taren Point that services diesel trucks, any flavour and any work. I have used them on a small truck and they were good, they do onsite servicing and I think I have seen thier truck at the hole in the wall boat ramp, so very close to you.
You could ask, you never know ! They are just opposite J car electronics.
Hi Uncle Bob, great feedback, thank you and you are right the hole in the wall ramp is close and that's where my boat lives . I know the guys you mean and will try them next time.
Having said that, it was a great trip to Pittwater BUT I got to get me some sailing buddies as none of my family or mates are into sailing past Bear Island.
Old 25-05-2015, 11:45   #25

Boat: Dufour 310

Hi just wondering how you got on with your mechanic, did you need a new loan? I could do with someone in Pittwater.

ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 21:27   #26

Hey ben373

I don't know to be honest, due to the "weather " as of last Friday it's still not finished. They had to take the head off to check out some corrosion and then have a new gasket made. Long story short, , still not finished. I have told them that I would like it back for the long weekend coming up. I will post works done and charge once finished.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-06-2015, 04:46   #27

I think they have forgot about me as it still is not finished? How long should it take to service a diesel and take off and replace the head?
Old 09-06-2015, 05:00   #28

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

One of the joys of having an old Japanese truck diesel in our boat is that I was able to drop the injectors in at a truck outfit for servicing. Mind you, when they found them full of salt water my bluff was called and the prices and timelines became distinctly more marine in flavour. Still, I was grumbling about four days for that job so I guess it's all about perspective. I reckon you've waited longer than I would have. I commend you for your patience.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-06-2015, 05:18   #29

Thank you Matt, I just hope that the time they have had it is not reflected in the invoice. Otherwise I will need three jobs to pay for it.

Cheers Manni
Old 25-06-2015, 20:29   #30

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Another couple of weeks has gone by. Is your service complete now and the price OK ....... or should you let us know which place we should avoid?

So far it looks like more than 2 months.

Tags
water