Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2008, 12:53   #1

Boston Whaler Squall

Hey everyone, I am new to the site because I am in need of some information and suggestions.

I have a friend who has 3 sailboats that he is giving away and he had me over to pick one out. The two I am looking at are a Boston Whaler Squall and a sunfish.

The sunfish has the mast and pretty much everything I need except for the sail. It has been sitting bottom up for a while and has something inside of it. I don't know if it is ice still or crud.

The Whaler Squall is in the best shape but has no mast or sail. It has nothing reall wrong with the structure or anything. This boat was also stored on its top. I have looked all over the net for sails and a mast for it. I have seen pictures but nothing really of where to get things for it.

Which one is the best for a play boat? I like the look of the Whaler but I can't find parts...

Any help is appreciated!
Ryan
rjsac09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 03:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Sunfish is one of the most popular "class" sailboats ever built. Sails & parts should be very easy to find. Great starter sailing dinghy.
The Whaler may be a bit of an "orphan".

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 08:31   #3

Thanx. I have continued my search all over the place and can't find any place to get stuff for that Whaler.

So I might be getting the Sunfish. My question is that if there is crud in the hull, how will I be able to get it out?
rjsac09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 09:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
RJ - I'm not really sure what a Whaler Squall is - although I think that I may have one.

9' 6", center board with handle lever (closed box), center seat across the box. Aft seat with hinged cover (partial), transom has metal housing for insert of rudder pintle. Does that sound like it?

If so, great all around sailing dinghy. Originally designed with lanteen sail. I've changed mine to marconi. Bought a length of irrigation pipe and cut it down to about 12'. A 5' piece of alum. tubing for the boom with a small goose neck fitting - also installed a track on the boom for the goose neck. The real problem with this boat, is the rudder. The piece that attaches to the rudder and fits into the single gudgeon on the transom lip.

As Gord says, for just a sailing starter, the Sunfish is your best bet - and also, as he says, the parts for it will be easier to find.

As for cleaning - shrug - depends on what has cruded up the boat. Probably a lot of elbow grease, and then some paint to spruce it up.

Have fun!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 13:34   #5

Boat: Pearson 26
I've gotten stuff for my O'Day Daysailer III from Dwyer Aluminum Mast Company- Manufacturers of Quality Sailboat Masts, Booms, Hardware and Rigging Since 1963.. They have rigging specs on file for lots and lots of boats. They may be able to outfit your Whaler "Squall" fairly easily. Good luck!
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 06:39   #6

Boston Whaler Squall

I'd say go for the BW Squall. Its a much more versatile boat. The Sunfish surely is more "popular" but the BW is a solid, virtually unsinkable boat. It can also be outfitted with oars, or a small outboard for off-season use, and can accommodate more people. Replacement parts are READILY available, as Whaler owners are quite abundant and a proud lot.
vallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 08:53   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
For the Sunfish, have you removed the hullplug to see if anything drains out? I know for a fact that Lasers have positive flotation in the form of plastic containers that hold air inside the hull. Perhaps Sunfish have the same thing and what you hear is the positive flotation containers moving around. You could always cut an access port in the deck to confirm what is inside that you hear moving around. I don't remember if a Sunfish has an access port...I have not sailed one since I was a teenager.

I agree that as far as parts availability goes, I would pick the Sunfish over the Boston Whaler sailboat. The Whaler sailboats were never much of a success probably because they are so darned heavy at Boston Whaler prices as well.

For a $1000 bucks you can pick up a used Laser. That may ultimately be the better deal than trying to find a used rig for either boat. Lasers are a far more popular class and parts are readily available. Lasers also have a massive racing class if you ever want to get into that.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 13:44   #8

Re: Boston Whaler Squall

Hey, I was wondering if you still have the boston whaler squall centerboard handle assembly? I'm looking for one.
Troyguy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 14:53   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Boston Whaler Squall

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Troy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote