Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2010, 07:49   #46

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
Scary! I would say I have read approx 75% of the titles listed and I am the timid spouse! I just cant seem to help myself I have been reading such stuff for eleven years now and my husband is always saying why do you do that????? I have a theory that I might glean something potentially useful. So far all I seem to remember is how to re-hydrate with sea water via an enema which my other half for some reason finds disconcerting. I believe should we get in such dire straights he may appreciate my memory when he is the guinea pig.;-) The other down side to this behaviour is your timid spouse will start spouting really unhelpful advice to you at times when you really wish she would just shut up. ....well that seems to be what happens on our boat anyway lol.

Regards Clare
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 18:01   #47

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned The Strange Last Yoyage of Donald Crowhurst.
You just did...I'll get it on the next recap..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 18:47   #48

Cape Horn: One Man's Dream, One Woman's Nightmare

I know the woman that wrote this book and her husband. I think it is a GREAT read and I was totally into their story.

For your wife, however, I think it would invoke too much of the scary parts of cruising. Pitchpoling your boat and having all of your earthly possessions turned upside down soaking in 40 degree salt water is probably over the top.

I do think however, that the message of the book, is that she triumphed over her fears and was somehow stronger after the ordeal.

(I have a signed copy if anyone wants to borrow it! )
Sansaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 20:43   #49

Definitely keep "The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst" away from your wife. She won't go sailing if she reads it - nor will you be going either.

It's Conrad's Heart of Darkness set on a sailboat rather than a river boat. A good man's slow, hopeless descent into madness. All the more terrifying because it's non-fiction. The New Yorker magazine review called it "a masterpiece".

I read it almost 20 years ago and still find the memory unsettling. I actually got rid of the book so my wife wouldn't stumble on it (and maybe so I wouldn't be tempted to read it again).

Carl

Over 40 years later, his boat lies today on a Cayman Brac dune, Fiberglass sure is tough stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teignmouth_electron-2brac.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	14021  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote