Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 09:39   #1

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
BoatUS some good / some bad

A while back there was a lot of semi informed commentary about this popular insurance company. I thought I would share while in the mid IRMA claims process. The good: very fast response, informed agents, automatic inclusion of less obvious coverages such as clean up and haul-out for inspection. Their people really seem to care. The bad: the depreciation policy. After 20 years they deduct 20% per year until bottoming out at 80% based on year of construction. In effect your hull insurance on an old boat is catastrophic only. Not so good, right? The good news is that the year of manufacture is only assumed to be that if the hull, evidence of actual dates is readily accepted. For example my 30 year old boat was refurbished 9 years ago so most of that work (e.g. canvas, sails, rigging, etc) is fully covered. They also deduct $1000 for named storms but they do cover Florida.
I shopped other companies before IRMA but saw nothing close for a Florida based boat.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:40   #2

Re: BoatUS some good / some bad

Same experience here. Most of my damage was cosmetic, so the only materials they depreciated were fiberglass and gelcoat, which didn't amount to much. Payment was fast too!
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 13:14   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: BoatUS some good / some bad

I don't understand the depreciation item, are you not insuring to an agreed value?

Tags
boat