Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2013, 09:16   #1
RTN

Boat: Manta 42' sailing catamaran
Boats that seasick SoCal spouses could love

I've been sailing boats for 40 years, from dinghies to 42-footers, from Lasers to cruising cats. I just plain love sailing and being on the water. My fiancee is a great sport, but highly prone to motion sickness. Our sailing range is Southern California and Mexico.

My current boat is a large sail cat, and is one of the more sea kindly cats I've sailed. The motion just doesn't work for her, though. Plus, both my kids and hers have left the nest. What we're realistically doing is daysailing as a couple with guests sometimes but not always, plus at best one annual coastal cruise vacation the two of us.

I'm game to buy any boat that will help her enjoy sailing. Old or new, mono or cat, 20-40' long, $50K fixer-upper or $250K gem, doesn't matter. It has to be fun to daysail, support short coastal hopping, but above all it has to have a smooth ride that makes my sweetheart comfortable.

My question to you folks is: what boats would you recommend?
RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 09:20   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Boats that seasick SoCal spouses could love

queen mary 2

seasicknes doesnt matter in boat choice. if she is gonna be seasick in one, she will be seasick in any and all. good luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 09:25   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Wonderblond used to get seasick all the time. It was almost impossible to get her out on some of my former racing boats. Then, when we decided to live aboard, we shopped for bigger boats. I settled on a used Swan 41, which she didn't even want to go below in, and she settled on a new Hunter 410, which pretty much freaked me out. We tried other boats, even chartering a Juneau 40 for a week, but nothing worked. I finally took the Hunter out, and was shocked at how well it sailed. So we bought it, lived on it for eight years, and then replaced it with a Hunter 46.

She never gets seasick anymore.

My advice? Let your fiance pick the boat.
Old 24-01-2013, 09:33   #4

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

wow you really love her...your fiancee i mean
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 09:41   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boats that seasick SoCal spouses could love

^
^
+A1... only way try lotsa different boats, rolling and pitching varies.
A GF of years gone by never got seasick in 3 yrs on mono's... even F8 in the Biscay.. but she puked her guts out on a cat...
Other way is immersion... live aboard at anchor, sail a bit etc for an extended period.. give her body sensors time to calibrate the un-natural sensations and movements..
Occassional W/ends and short bursts of sailing wont cut it..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 10:02   #6

How to stop Seasickness from ruining your next Fishing trip

Try taking ginger and see if that works. Also see about avoid waves by planning your trips around where there are big waves.

And if none of those work, get a SWATH boat.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 16:04   #7

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

As a seasickness sufferer I agree with "immersion", day sailing to me means pukeing. I get sea, car, elevator, etc sickness. The smaller the boat the worse, am ok on our 56 cat after a couple of days to aclimatize at calm anchor first, so when we sail we go for couple of weeks at a time. If rough seas then scopalmine and lie on the floor. I sail as I love the places we get to cruise to that would be difficult any other way. I do however refuse to go on a mono hull anymore.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 16:07   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

We always get sea sick for a couple of days, and that's why we don't like short passages. Everything evens out on about the third day at sea. Until that happens, we are queasy on our cat.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 17:32   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN

I've been sailing boats for 40 years, from dinghies to 42-footers, from Lasers to cruising cats. I just plain love sailing and being on the water. My fiancee is a great sport, but highly prone to motion sickness. Our sailing range is Southern California and Mexico.

My current boat is a large sail cat, and is one of the more sea kindly cats I've sailed. The motion just doesn't work for her, though. Plus, both my kids and hers have left the nest. What we're realistically doing is daysailing as a couple with guests sometimes but not always, plus at best one annual coastal cruise vacation the two of us.

I'm game to buy any boat that will help her enjoy sailing. Old or new, mono or cat, 20-40' long, $50K fixer-upper or $250K gem, doesn't matter. It has to be fun to daysail, support short coastal hopping, but above all it has to have a smooth ride that makes my sweetheart comfortable.

My question to you folks is: what boats would you recommend?
I'd agree with Zee. It's generally not fixable by getting a different boat. It is fixable by getting a different fiancée !! , just kidding

Dave
Old 27-01-2013, 08:27   #10

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabil View Post
As a seasickness sufferer I agree with "immersion", day sailing to me means pukeing. I get sea, car, elevator, etc sickness. The smaller the boat the worse, am ok on our 56 cat after a couple of days to aclimatize at calm anchor first, so when we sail we go for couple of weeks at a time. If rough seas then scopalmine and lie on the floor. I sail as I love the places we get to cruise to that would be difficult any other way. I do however refuse to go on a mono hull anymore.
I've seen Scopalmine work for several people. I nor my wife have ever gotten seasick so lucky there. Our 10 year old grandson always gets motion sickness in a car or airplane. However, he has never been affected on the boat. Figure that one out, only thing I can think of is the boy loves the boat, doing the sails, and especially taking the helm.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 09:18   #11

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

RTN, I've never gotten seasick, so I just don't know what type of boat to recommend. Thinking about your dilemma, though, is there some way you guys could go for a short sail on different types of boats? Perhaps, something beamy with a full keel and something a bit more race-y with a fin keel? From that you may be able to narrow your search.

Being seasick certainly isn't any fun. Your honey has my sympathy. I'm sure if you guys look around and try a few different boats, you will find something comfy. Best of luck to you.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 10:19   #12

I feel your pain man.my girl gets seasick EVERY time within 5 minutes she wants to turn back.

I believe that the only boat that a non sailor girl likes is a cruise liner. Or something extremely expensive at the dock.

You could try to compromise with lake sailing or finding calm days for her.

Does she take motion sickness pills?
stephengrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 11:14   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The Admiral has puked in every ocean, but that didn't stop from going RTW twice. Her current favorite is the 24 hr acting Bonine, because it doesn't wear off when you need it the most. Take the pills at 6 hours before you leave the dock, and overlap them. When it gets really rough, a phenergan suppository knocks her out for 8 hours, and she's fine after that.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 09:40   #14

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

The only thing I have found that helps is active stabilizers on a big power boat. Those are only good for the pitch unless you get the new gyro ones. Other than that it's just going to be the motion of the ocean.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 10:41   #15

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

In addition to other suggestions,try keeping your head level :
If rolling,by standing,facing forward,& pumping legs up and down to maintain near perfectly level eyes. Avoid swaying your head.

If pitching,same idea except sway from your ankles,fore & aft.

Keep busy-put the sickness prone to work-steering,etc-occupies the mind.

Avoid going below as much as possible,until body gets used to motion.

Zantac/Tecta/Gaviscon/Tums/soda crackers-keep something bland in stomach,eat in regular snacks,rather than large portions.

Shot of vodka-maybe add a bit of water.Numbs the stomach.Avoid beer & mixed drinks.