Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-08-2012, 03:55   #16

Boat: Alberg 37
Re: Boats 27' to 32' Recommendations

in the PacNW area, I would want a heavier boat like an Alberg or other similar boats. I have never sailed the area, but have seen references to how heavy the weather can be. I'll let some local's chime in on that though.

Old 14-08-2012, 08:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Wow, that size range covers everything from old, heavy displacement monohulls that don't have standing headroom to more modern catamarans costing 20 times as much.
I realize that covers a lot of differences, and ideally would like 30', but I have seen 27' boats that seemed to have a lot of room in them. I suppose I should mention beam too. The bigger the better, but I would like to draw the line at 9' or larger.
Standing headroom? The more the merrier, but if I need to stretch, I could either do that lying down, or step out into the cockpit. That's where I expect I would spend most of my time anyway. The salon would be more for sleeping, preparing meals, and storage. If I'm on the computer I'll be sitting down anyway.
I figure the folks here have a lot of collective knowledge in that respect, so here I am.
-Bruce

Old 14-08-2012, 09:03   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Any Cape Dory with an inboard..IE not the Typhoon or 25 with the ob...

I don't have time or space to tell you WHY..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 09:20   #19

Boat: Ta Chiao CT 35 Jack, CS27 Christina, Ranger 23 Strider, I14 Aggie

When I started, my criteria was for a small boat with standing headroom. I am 6' so that eliminated a lot of boats. I got a CS27, which is what Beuller would call a little big boat. I can stand up inside, and the bunks fit me.
This is a great boat for 2 week vacations with a partner. They are quite seaworthy as well. Most of these are in the Ontario, Quebec, and New York state. You can find a lot of them in Lake Ontario and Lake Champlain. They usually have a Yanmar 1 cyl diesel.

Just another data point.
Old 14-08-2012, 15:27   #20

Boat: 1964 Cascade 29 "Classic Plastic"

Hi I guess I'll chime in here. A few years ago I was where you are now. I sailed a cal 2-29 all over the Puget Sound and Gulf Islands for three years. It's a great curising area, albeit wet and windy in the winter. Spring summer and early fall are awsome. You have to go to Port Townsend as it is the salty sailor capital of the PNW. The Cal had a single Ferrymen 12hp. Slow (the engine)(would do 4 to 5 knots as long as no current) but very tough boats. I sold it to go live with a girlfriend should have sold the girlfriend instead. Later found a sailing wife, we bought and sailed and old Coranado 25 for six years in the Puget Sound. Again very tough boat, but to small to cruise and had a out board in a well. The outboard just does no do it in a big blow, and the diesels are more reliable, easier on fuel, diesel is less stinky and cruising easier to find. We are now in southern Mexico on out Cascade 29, which sailed down form Wa. Again very tough old boat (64). I choose it because it had a new Yanmar diesel and their legiondare sea worthiness, (capsize factor of 1.5 (very low)). You will motor much more than you think. And in the NW against current much of the time. the cutter in Bellingham sounds like a great deal unless it's wood, to much work. Most people (including me) buy boats that need lots of work. Spend all their time and money fixing it. Many never get out there. Buy something that you can sail NOW. As stated, if you look hard you can find something someone else has already spent all their time and money on and needs to sell. Get out there and get some experience! Stay inside the Puget Sound until you have some experience! The Wa and Oregon coast is some of the raughest sea's you'll see. Good luck to ya! You can check out our website @ http//www.sailblogs.com/member/chrysalis
Old 14-08-2012, 15:49   #21

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
in the PacNW area, I would want a heavier boat like an Alberg or other similar boats. I have never sailed the area, but have seen references to how heavy the weather can be. I'll let some local's chime in on that though.
Most of the time it's kind of light in the Puget Sound are. If you want to go up the inside passage or around Vancouver Island it can get bit more boisterous.

Most coastal cruisers would do fine there.
Old 14-08-2012, 16:13   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Look at the Douglas 32..great boats ...none were built with gas engines and the build is above and beyond most boats...they preform well and have good speed(for the type) and pointing ability...head room is good and she has good motion also...good luck..DVC
Old 14-08-2012, 17:04   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Bruce, PM me about a pretty nice 30 foot cutter I know of in Bellingham. Alot of boat for 10K or less. Yanmar FW diesel, roomy and got great lines....
PS: Just found out.... This boat just sold, subject to sea trial....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 17:09   #24

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

If I were going to replace my beloved KEET, it would be with a multihull.
Old 14-08-2012, 17:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
PS: Just found out.... This boat just sold, subject to sea trial....
OK, Thanks anyway.
-Bruce

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: