Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-12-2013, 15:22   #1

Boat Storage in Panama

Hi,
Am currently in Bocas Del Toro, Panama and will be looking to head back home to work for a while around the end of Feb. and will need to leave my boat somewhere while i am gone.
Just wondering if anyone had hauled and left their boat around the panama area and any suggestions on where would be a good place. I know shelter bay is an option, but a fairly expensive one. anyone know of any other options.
thanks

Old 07-12-2013, 18:22   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Have not hauled and stowed in Panama, but aside from Shelter Bay only possible option I know is the new yard in Bocas (actually Almirante).

Green Turtle Caye Marina was working on an old travel lift last I was there, but don't know the current status. You can contact them via their web site.

Both I think can only potentially haul monos.

I currently have my boat med moored off a mooring at a friend's place in Bocas. Should be off the mooring by end of Feb. PM me if interested in that option.

Old 25-12-2013, 07:17   #3

Boat: Leopard 38
Re: Boat Storage in Panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Have not hauled and stowed in Panama, but aside from Shelter Bay only possible option I know is the new yard in Bocas (actually Almirante).

Green Turtle Caye Marina was working on an old travel lift last I was there, but don't know the current status. You can contact them via their web site.

Both I think can only potentially haul monos.

I currently have my boat med moored off a mooring at a friend's place in Bocas. Should be off the mooring by end of Feb. PM me if interested in that option.

Hello. Could you tell me something about the weather in and near Almirante, specially how long and when it will be raining? I am thinking about staying in the area permanently but cant find any precise infos. Maybe you know somebody there giving an honest answer about the rain situation.

Thank you.
AK
Old 25-12-2013, 07:42   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

ak -- first on the wx -- you got to be kidding on the wx -- have an ssb you can get chris parker - if wifi windguru -

as for storage --we left our boat in green turtle a couple of years ago for the christmas but in the water
Panmarine is an inwater storage place where a lot and i mean a lot of folks keep their boats for up to 6 months or more - they use to have a service that would come clean you boat inside on a periodic basis to keep the mold down - and do not underestimate the mold problem of long term storage in panama -
if you got a lot and i mean a lot of money shelter bay
beyond that there were a couple of marinas in the bocas area that did in water storage

most folks keep their boats in the water

hope this helps
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 09:35   #5

Re weather.

Still probably on the imprecise edge of rainy season there in Almirante. When it stops raining a lot every day then its over...hard to predict precisely when that will be, but should be soon.

Aside from wet and dry season, the meaderings of the ITCZ/monsoon trough are the biggest influence on weather in Panama. NOAA Radio FAX (AKA "weather fax") charts are a good reference for current and short term forecast of ITCZ position. See "Surface Charts" section on page linked below.

http://weather.noaa.gov/fax/gulflatest.shtml

Good summary of wet/dray season from Smithsonian research station site below.

"The Dry Season generally begins around mid-December, but this may vary by as much 3 to 4 weeks. Around this time, strong northeasterly winds known as “trade winds” begin to blow and little or no rain may fall for many weeks in a row. Daytime air temperatures increase slightly to around 30-31C (86-88F), but nighttime temperatures remain around 22-23C (72-73F). Relative humidity drops throughout the season, reaching average values as low as 70%.

The Wet Season usually begins around May 1, but again this may vary by 1 or 2 weeks. May is often one of the wettest months, especially in the Panama Canal area, so the transition from the very dry conditions at the end of the Dry Season to the beginning of Wet Season can be very dramatic. With the arrival of the rain, temperatures cool down a little during the day and the trade winds disappear. Relative humidity rises quickly and may hover around 90 to 100% throughout the Wet Season."

Link to full site: http://stri.si.edu/english/about_str...nama/index.php
Old 04-01-2014, 14:14   #6

Boat: 1977 42' Mapleleaf

Bocas Marina now has a NEW HAULOUT located near Almirante! A new option without going all the way to Shelter Bay!
Old 04-01-2014, 15:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svWindfall View Post
Bocas Marina now has a NEW HAULOUT located near Almirante! A new option without going all the way to Shelter Bay!
Max beam?
Old 04-01-2014, 16:57   #8

Boat: 1977 42' Mapleleaf

Info:
Schedule a haulout | Boatyard in Bocas del Toro
-or-
http://bocasmarina.com/
Great people to work with
Old 14-09-2014, 12:59   #9

Where NOT to store your boat in Panama...anywhere under the care of a local gringo who goes by "Captain Ron" (should be a hint huh?).

I made this mistake my first season in Bocas. Stored the boat at a dock next to Discovery Bay (the docks are not part of Discovery Bay technically, but the name escapes me at the moment, they are physically in the same bay)

I was organizing photos today and ran across some "after" pics I took. The boat was a disaster, I paid extra each month for cleaning that clearly never happened, and I was lied to on multiple occassions by Captain Ron.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1410721104185.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	88167   Click image for larger version

Name:	1410721130329.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	88168  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1410721153743.jpg