Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2016, 19:53   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Boat sinks after collision with whale near Guaymas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
hey hey was it a red bottom? Whaleys don't liek red bottumsz
was blue. white boat, shiny, with blue canvas paint n everything.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 21:08   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
was blue. white boat, shiny, with blue canvas paint n everything.
Well..ahem. I guess they should have painted the bottom red so the Whaley folk could see it
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 06:18   #18

ok so BOTH sea boas were in same place same time--- confusion over which one was sunk.... hopefully , as no info is available, someone will be on receiving end to let us know which sea boa is down.
one is a huntebene the other is a morgan oi......
hhmmmmmm
now consider the call he made was to a canadian, i think it was the hunte bene.........now , watch em both be canadian......
Old 20-03-2016, 07:13   #19

so after an hour of intense research we have learned it WAS definitely the huntebene we saw leaving here that hit the whale or vice versa..is a sad loss. boat was immaculate and in decent shape. good looking and well cared for.

only th eson was canadian, boat was usa-ian

it is whale calving season and migration season. please be safe--have someone watching out at all times so not to lose boat.

this sucks, but happens out here.
donot get between mom cow whale and baby calf whale-- the momma will try to kill you, you will sink.
be safe out here
Old 20-03-2016, 07:34   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Where I sail in a Newfoundland whales are quite common, they follow the Capelin, small fish, think sardine. They are mostly minke and humpback, but I think I saw a blue one time. Whatever it was it was just plain HUGE!

I can easily see a humpback sinking a boat when breaching. When they get going they can really be on a roll, one jump after another after another. I counted 17 jumps once. They must put tremendous energy into the jump and if they were to miss judge you then a lot of damage could be done. Yet, other than the South African boat hit by a Wright whale some years ago, I've never heard of a breaching whale causing damage.

I think that mostly they are smarter than we are.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 07:49   #21

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I can easily see a humpback sinking a boat when breaching. When they get going they can really be on a roll, one jump after another after another. I counted 17 jumps once. They must put tremendous energy into the jump and if they were to miss judge you then a lot of damage could be done. Yet, other than the South African boat hit by a Wright whale some years ago, I've never heard of a breaching whale causing damage.

I think that mostly they are smarter than we are.
Mostly humpbacks as well in SE Alaska. They often choose to come very close to us, especially if we're just floating with the prop not turning. Sometimes a group of 6-8 of them will be moving around looking to feed on schools of herring or eulachons or krill, and suddenly decide to turn and head directly for us. We've had one pass 30-50 feet off our bow, another just off our stern, and another one go directly under us, maybe only 10 feet down, all at the same time. Juveniles (a mere 20 feet long) sometimes come really close, and lift their head such that they can see us with their eye out of the water.

I think they almost always know where we are, but I have heard of a breacher apparently getting a little oblivious and coming down in contact with a small boat. Supposedly in that case the damage was relatively minor, but it sure could have been worse.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 08:04   #22
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

https://r13---sn-a5mekm7k.googlevide...s%20%5B720p%5D
Attached Files
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 08:16   #23

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

On two occasions we have encountered what appeared to be two bull whales fighting or perhaps it was a mating ritual but on both occasions the whales were leaping high and hitting one another in the air. The noise was thunderous and the sea around them was a like a frothy maelstrom.

On both occasions we switched on the depth sounder and the whales instantly stopped and left our vicinity.

Always sad to hear of a yacht going down. Very sorry for those aboard. A story for life. It must have been scary sitting in a flimsy raft among a pod of whales.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 08:27   #24

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I'd like to know the make/model of the boat, and also if they had a sounder on. Our sounder is always on, maybe that's why we rarely see whales?

Another cruiser told us they took a trip to see the whales in one of the lagoons on the pacific side. There were a few whales that liked to be petted. Supposedly they would surface right under the panga and you could feel it rise and fall with their breath, with their baby along side.

A few years ago off the coast of california a poor guy was cruising along in a small powerboat at 20 kts and a whale breached and landed on the boat, killing him.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 08:30   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You can look up canadian registered vessels here:
Vessel Registration Query System

For Sea Boa, it gives results for ALLAN CHARLES TWETEN of Victoria (BC). The boat is listed as built by H.I.L. FIBREGLASS LTD., 12 tons, 10.6m long.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 08:55   #26

We spent some tense hours sailing with whales right alongside one night on crossing the Sea, headed toward PV. They were intent on cruising right along with us. Their breath was fishy/terrible! Running the motor, or loud stereo etc didn't phase them. (depth sounder was on the whole time)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 09:05   #27

Boat: Island Packet 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
You can look up canadian registered vessels here:
Vessel Registration Query System

For Sea Boa, it gives results for ALLAN CHARLES TWETEN of Victoria (BC). The boat is listed as built by H.I.L. FIBREGLASS LTD., 12 tons, 10.6m long.
This is correct. Certainly not a 'flimsy Hunter' as quoted above "after an hour of extensive reaseach". The blowhards on this forum who speculate and postulate with no real knowledge are discrgraceful.

Allan is my brother and we're just glad that he's safe. At 5:00am in the dark a sleeping whale doesn't show up too clearly. There was a very large tear in the hull and his pumps couldn't keep up. Sea Boa was a well built boat and Allan is an extremely handy person who has helped many, many fellow cruisers with boat repairs and knowledge. If anyone could have kept that boat from going down, it was Al.

Our thanks to Mexico SAR who were quick to the scene and brought Al back to shore safe and sound where he is now on his way back home.
Old 20-03-2016, 09:12   #28

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

One time up in Nova Scotia we met a guy who invited us on his trawler for the day. At one point we had 17 whales in sight. Several were very curious and approached. He brought out an old fashioned push broom and slapped it on the waters surfaces a couple of times. A whale approached, rolled on its side and the man gently pushed the broom up and down. The whale actually lifted a flipper so he could scratch in a better place.

No one back home believed me. This is before cell phone cameras so I can't prove it, but it happened.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 09:13   #29

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

It must have been a really big whale, his boat( I don't recall the brand) was quite stout. I listened to him opine on the worthlessness of wind generators for an hour or so once after he had tried to back into the slip next to me in La Paz. I shouldn't say tried, as he did eventually make it, after hitting my Monitor and spending a little time completely perpendicular to said slip. Luckily there were 8 or 10 folks available to manhandle Sea Boa into the slip. Of course that could have been a different Sea Boa. I don't remember his name anymore, but I do know he was considered by some to be the smartest Canadian ever born. Could be the same guy. Before I am attacked for this post,my personality ( sort of like Tourettes) forces me to sometimes be facetious.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 09:21   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat sinks after collision with whale near Guaymas

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
On two occasions we have encountered what appeared to be two bull whales fighting or perhaps it was a mating ritual but on both occasions the whales were leaping high and hitting one another in the air. The noise was thunderous and the sea around them was a like a frothy maelstrom.

On both occasions we switched on the depth sounder and the whales instantly stopped and left our vicinity.

Always sad to hear of a yacht going down. Very sorry for those aboard. A story for life. It must have been scary sitting in a flimsy raft among a pod of whales.
I believe that's the mating process..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collision