Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-03-2016, 11:54   #91

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Re: Boat sinks after collision with whale near Guaymas

Most of the whale's I've seen in the Sea of Cortez are grays. Years ago when sailing off the anchor, I was storing the chain when I looked up and say a huge rock in front of us. Then wife was at the helm so I called to her to turn to avoid the rock, only then did I realize the rock was moving and it was a gray whale. He/she was quite a bit bigger than our boat, and swam right along side of us, looking at us with one eye. I got a deck brush and gave him/her a scratch which he/she seemed to enjoy. This majestic creature stayed with us for a good 10 minutes before lumbering off on it's own.

Zee how long are you gonna stay in all that heat? Summer in Guaymas is not my idea of a fun time. LOL

Old 22-03-2016, 13:37   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

In that whale vs sailboat video since the boat was to starboard of the whale which was in the give way and which was in the stand on position ?

S/V B'Shert

Old 22-03-2016, 14:16   #93
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

tom!!!
i donot go to guaymas. here in barra i have yet to see 95f. is always 85-90. perfect. a/c in formosa window in summer, perfect. ourside ambient humidity 999000000 percent, but not hot, just WET. sometimes like before cane, oppressively humid.
unfortunately i gotta leave for mazatlan for repairing. air cond mandatory there. too much heat. gets 110 there. gagme. indoor work, then.

life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 15:25   #94

A monkey not liking bananas? That would pretty much be illegal, wouldn't it? I like em' too, particularly when I can pluck them off the tree in the back yard.

The question of which material makes the best boat is kind of like arguing how long is a piece of string. I love steel, am intrigued by ferro-cement (maybe because I never owned one) and hate the smell of glass boats. That's just me. You probably have a whole different outlook. I like red bananas more than yellow too, but again just me and the last two boats I built were made of plywood. Go figure.

If you really want to start a brawl make some comments about which is the best anchor! That will get you in deep and quick.

Oh and I like Zee's too. Now don't that beat all?
Old 22-03-2016, 16:16   #95
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer 30-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
SUE the whale.

yeah whale insurance is required. wonder who sells it.....
Ahab's insurance? ha ha ha
Old 22-03-2016, 16:48   #96

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

When we first started cruising (three days into it) we were heading south across Monterey Bay (California) and were bumped by a whale... The barnacles on it's back cut six long scratches in the hull, all the way through the gel coat. That scared me to death!

Then we got to Mexico and hung around there for 19 months... In 2011, a cruiser was hit by a crazy whale guarding the mouth of Zihuatanejo Bay. It chased and tried to hit a couple of other boats as well that season, including us.

When we were up in the Sea of Cortez we saw lots of whales, Humpbacks, Sperm and Blues, but were never accosted.

On our way out of Mexico, South of Manzanillo, a mother whale was teaching her baby to jump I guess... She breached and landed about two boat lengths away from us...

Of course once we were south of Mexico, we didn't have to worry about whales any longer... Just all the flotsam coming out of the rivers of Central America, including a sixty foot long tree with a huge root ball attached.

The moral of the story... If it is your time and the whale doesn't get you... Something else will!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 22:26   #97

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
i prefer encapsulated, integral part of hull, deep full keel.
ye can bump a tad n not totally lose.

Although a well bolted, low aspect lead keel will do better in a rock/reef collision as the lead will give and can be faired back. Encapsulation can be breached easily and then you have to deal with water in the ballast. i have owned both, so not enough of a factor to change my boat decision though

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-03-2016, 23:02   #98
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Although a well bolted, low aspect lead keel will do better in a rock/reef collision as the lead will give and can be faired back. Encapsulation can be breached easily and then you have to deal with water in the ballast. i have owned both, so not enough of a factor to change my boat decision though

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
If such a breach were to occur to lead encapsulated keel, what would you do to fix that issue? Bore holes to drain and dry, glass work and fair up after?
In your opinion is there a way to improve on this type keel during repair? My boats bottom is near perfect but I'm not. I just like to know what I may face, then decide if it's something I can work out for myself or leave it to my boat yard. Thanks in advance.
Old 23-03-2016, 06:25   #99
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
If such a breach were to occur to lead encapsulated keel, what would you do to fix that issue? Bore holes to drain and dry, glass work and fair up after?
In your opinion is there a way to improve on this type keel during repair? My boats bottom is near perfect but I'm not. I just like to know what I may face, then decide if it's something I can work out for myself or leave it to my boat yard. Thanks in advance.

splashzone if boat needs a hole fixed immediately. cannot splashzone a failed bolt on keel.
then asap, haul drain and dry. then re glass after prep. boat will be out of water more than a month.

yeah i have owned and sailed both, and wood boats with deep keels.
i prefer the wood but have the budget for the encapsulated.
had bolt on iron to glass- nope. not again. sailed in gom a sloop with bolt on ..nope. prefer encapsulated.
friend hit the 3 ft shoal in san diego at 8 kts sailing speed. did not hole his encapsulated keel.
not bad. was a 1968 build with thick skin.
i also prefer older boats with thick skins. not cored hulls, but solid hulls.
btw, lead keels are rare these days.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:55   #100
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
splashzone if boat needs a hole fixed immediately. cannot splashzone a failed bolt on keel.
then asap, haul drain and dry. then re glass after prep. boat will be out of water more than a month.

had bolt on iron to glass- nope. not again. sailed in gom a sloop with bolt on ..nope. prefer encapsulated.
friend hit the 3 ft shoal in san diego at 8 kts sailing speed. did not hole his encapsulated keel.
makes me glad I have an old but good boat. Thanks for sharing actual hands on experience. My boat was hauled last year for inspect and anifoul, encapsulation of lead keel rock solid, no blisters, no hollow noise anywhere when tapped all over. no signs of ever been repaired, sweet bottom for a 36 year old! The price of the lead in my keel is shocking. THX Z

zipmetals.com/Ballast-Weight-Lead-Ingot-500-LB_p_90.html
for some reason my links stopped posting?
anyhow, the price of Ballast weight lead today, 500lb pallet=$724.62 U.S. I would need 6 pallet's to make my keel. shipping another $500. Total = $4986,72
Old 23-03-2016, 09:15   #101

Boat: Tartan 3800

Wow! The things they don't tell you about when you get a new boat. Glad all are safe and props to the Mx. Navy for quickly responding to the incident. Don't think we have many whales around here but for those familiar with them, will they follow the boat closely like porpoises do or are they more skittish. Maybe the whale was sleeping?
Old 23-03-2016, 14:05   #102

Quote:

I completely agree with you Zee. Back in the early 80's I had a Perry designed, Taiwan built solid glass boat (my last glass boat BTW) that had more in common with a tank than anything else. She also had an encapsulated keel. A sister boat ran onto a reef near the dry Tortuga's doing a solid 7 knots and managed some pretty good scrapes on the bottom of the keel, but none went all the way through the hull. The Captain was a good old East Texas boy that laid her on the beach and patched her up with Bondo covered by some paint. He claimed it was a good a fix as any.

The only problem with these boats is they are HEAVY in the extreme. My boat took a pretty stiff breeze to get her moving. Once she was making 5 knots she was a joy to sail. I went through hurricane Alisha on that boat and she didn't get a scratch. I loved that boat. I sailed out of Houston in those days and winds in the summer were zephyr breezes at best. We put a lot of hours on her Volvo engine, for sure.

I came into Galveston in a blow one winter and found the normal anchorages full, so I dropped the hook in the best place available. When the tide fell, I found us perched on a goodly sized rock. Some Coasties came by and asked if we had an emergency, I told them nothing the incoming tide wouldn't fix. When the tide floated us off, I pulled into a lagoon west of Galveston that was noted for it's clean water at the time and did a thorough inspection of the hull, but we were lucky and didn't have any significant damage beyond a few minor scratches to the gel coat.

Despite her light air performance problems, if ever I decided to buy another glass boat, it would certainly be the old ones with a thick solid glass hull. Perry's design was superb, the builder didn't follow his specifications on the hull and made it thicker than the plans called for, but I'm kinda glad he did that. I always felt safer when I had a tank wrapped around me.
Old 23-03-2016, 14:17   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, I hit rock hard with my Taiwan built Perry on a couple occasions.. I mean like 5+ knots to a dead stop. No damage, scrape in the keel was all.
A Catalina 42 I managed in charter hit a rock at about 5+ knots and suffered about $20k in damage. They made it back but had to be hauled immediately. engine bed broke from the hull, galley cabinetry broke from the hull, hull cracked fore and aft behind the keel.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 16:00   #104
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outp...-sailboat.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Where I sail in a Newfoundland whales are quite common, they follow the Capelin, small fish, think sardine. They are mostly minke and humpback, but I think I saw a blue one time. Whatever it was it was just plain HUGE!

I can easily see a humpback sinking a boat when breaching. When they get going they can really be on a roll, one jump after another after another. I counted 17 jumps once. They must put tremendous energy into the jump and if they were to miss judge you then a lot of damage could be done. Yet, other than the South African boat hit by a Wright whale some years ago, I've never heard of a breaching whale causing damage.

I think that mostly they are smarter than we are.
mackconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 20:57   #105

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I was chatting with new friends we met on a boat next to us, and this topic came up. My wife asked "Did you hear about it from the women's only group on FB?" and they said "No, on cruisersforum" so I said "Oh, you heard it from me then!"

Hehe

Anyhow, I finally got caught up on this thread and did see one person post who knew Alan, but I did they ever say what make/model of boat it was? The only thing I read was that it was not a hunter?

Tags
collision

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: