Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 19:26   #76

Re: Boat sinks after collision with whale near Guaymas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I like encapsulated wineglass hulls with a cutaway forefront and a stern mounted rudder on pintles and tiller.

I also like bananas which affords my young complexion.
Thanks...as I read your, I like bananas (quote) I looked over at your profile pic.....spit coffee all over computer screen. cracked me up, dog's looking at me like I'm just wrong somehow. too funny!!!! getting rag now to wipe off puter.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 19:43   #77

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
OH NOOOOOOOOO

omy they were intact when i just saw em. wow..
always be ready and keep closest watch..
wow
crap aint no words. i do hope they had whale insurance.
Z you gotta admit, it was a whale of a tale!

Whale insurance? Joking, right?
Old 21-03-2016, 21:04   #78
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

yeah tom..
it was a nice looking boat. well equipped.
sneaky whales.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 21:36   #79

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I like encapsulated wineglass hulls with a cutaway forefront and a stern mounted rudder on pintles and tiller.

I also like bananas which affords my young complexion.
I have everything you like, even the tiller, except it's an emergency tiller just in case my steering cables ever fail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	121217  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 22:07   #80

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

As mentioned, we have thousands of whales (mostly humpbacks) swimming up and down the east coast of Australia. They go from the very south up past Townsville in Far North Queensland. When we have been sailing, we have seen as many as 72 whales in one day. I reckon that on last year's trip to Queensland we saw probably 500 whales from July to October.

We have had many come very, very close to us. It is not easy to spot them and even if you do, they sometimes make very abrupt turns. We had at least two surface within five metres of us, luckily they were both juveniles and surfaced abeam or astern. A lot of care is needed from June (near Sydney) to September/October up north and then to November/December back south, although on their south run they tend to be a lot further off the coast in the East Australian Current.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 23:10   #81

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

While I've seen grays, humpbacks and orcas many times near my boat in the San Juans and off the WA, OR coast, the closest encounter was during the 2011 Oregon Offshore Race from Astoria, OR to Victoria B.C. Shortly after the start near the Columbia River Bar, a boat just ahead of me, my friend's Bene 36 was severely damaged by a humpback that breached right next to them and fell on the foredeck (just after the bow crew had set the spinnaker). The whale dismasted it, crushed the cabin, the lifelines, and severely damaged the boat, which kept floating. I think insurance 'totaled" it. I sailed right over to him, of course, to offer assistance, but a couple of faster boats were standing by already. The CG towed in what was left of his boat, which was ironically called "L'Orca" ! Marine biologists examined the blubber left on the boat and said it was a humpback. I reject the idea that the whale 'attacked' him. Under sail, I suspect that whale started his breech from far below the surface and was probably freaked out to land on a boat he likely didn't know was even there... Total accident, imho....
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 04:52   #82

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I'm curious, also trying to learn. What are your thought's about encapsulated keels on FG boats? My boat was designed as a coastal boat yet has this type keel. I thought this was one of the best design's but does not seem to be used much in purpose built blue water boat's? Thanks in advance for sharing your thought's.

I am not a fan of encapsulated iron keels. After several years the iron ballast eventually comes in contact with salt water and rust sets in causing problems with the fiberglass layer. Repair is expensive and often not permanent. However, the keel almost never falls off which is the major benefit.

A lead fin keel properly attached with too many oversize bolts and large spreader plates is my personal favorite. The keel root should spread the keel forces to a large area of the solid glass hull. The chain plate knees should be oversize and well connected to the keel root. If this is done correctly along with proper maintenance it's very hard to have the damage we are hearing in this thread.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 05:55   #83
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I have everything you like, even the tiller, except it's an emergency tiller just in case my steering cables ever fail
exactly. never did like the internal tiller though. nice boat!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 06:31   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I am not a fan of encapsulated iron keels. After several years the iron ballast eventually comes in contact with salt water and rust sets in causing problems with the fiberglass layer. Repair is expensive and often not permanent. However, the keel almost never falls off which is the major benefit.

A lead fin keel properly attached with too many oversize bolts and large spreader plates is my personal favorite. The keel root should spread the keel forces to a large area of the solid glass hull. The chain plate knees should be oversize and well connected to the keel root. If this is done correctly along with proper maintenance it's very hard to have the damage we are hearing in this thread.
not so many lead keels anymore and many encapsulated ones are filled with concrete and stuff.
mine is filled with concrete and stuff. so far, so good. it is only 40 years old this year.
Old 22-03-2016, 06:34   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post

Sorry about that, I should have said lead encapsulated LEAD. Mines lead.
Yes I see what you mean about encapsulated iron keel, that is just a poor idea. I've heard of other's being concrete and scrap iron.
Old 22-03-2016, 06:36   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
not so many lead keels anymore and many encapsulated ones are filled with concrete and stuff.
mine is filled with concrete and stuff. so far, so good. it is only 40 years old this year.
Well don't you think we should wait another 40 before passing judgment? LOL
Old 22-03-2016, 08:33   #87

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by scareygary View Post
While I've seen grays, humpbacks and orcas many times near my boat in the San Juans and off the WA, OR coast, the closest encounter was during the 2011 Oregon Offshore Race from Astoria, OR to Victoria B.C. Shortly after the start near the Columbia River Bar, a boat just ahead of me, my friend's Bene 36 was severely damaged by a humpback that breached right next to them and fell on the foredeck (just after the bow crew had set the spinnaker). The whale dismasted it, crushed the cabin, the lifelines, and severely damaged the boat, which kept floating. I think insurance 'totaled" it. I sailed right over to him, of course, to offer assistance, but a couple of faster boats were standing by already. The CG towed in what was left of his boat, which was ironically called "L'Orca" ! Marine biologists examined the blubber left on the boat and said it was a humpback. I reject the idea that the whale 'attacked' him. Under sail, I suspect that whale started his breech from far below the surface and was probably freaked out to land on a boat he likely didn't know was even there... Total accident, imho....
So this was not an isolated accident:

It seems to me not an accident from the whale part and that she was determinate to fall over the boat. It seems to me impossible that she had not seen or felt the boat.

Scary thing. That's why I pass at distance from whales. there are more accidents that were not accidental but deliberate attacks:

"During a passage from the Canaries to the Caribbean, a 35ft boat in our SSB net reported being attacked by a whale. While under sail in light wind, they sighted several whales, one of which turned toward their boat and rammed it head on. It circled and came back at them repeatedly."
Read more at http://www.yachtingworld.com/feature...KQyvMXIJo7e.99

Most accidents are not deliberated attacks and it seems whales have a problem with very fast yachts, namely top racing boats. The number of hits is significant and I believe that the ones that are reported or make the news are the ones that have nasty consequences for the boat. Many glancing blows make not the headlines.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 08:45   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
So this was not an isolated accident:

It seems to me not an accident from the whale part and that she was determinate to fall over the boat. It seems to me impossible that she had not seen or felt the boat.

Scary thing.
Thats disturbing! I agree that was intentional. and the a##holes on the boat filming were laughing? Stupid whale chose the wrong boat.
Old 22-03-2016, 09:29   #89

SUE the whale.

yeah whale insurance is required. wonder who sells it.....
Old 22-03-2016, 09:54   #90
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collision