Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2015, 16:22   #1

boat rigged for racing ? need new main sail.

ok I have a 1971 cal 27 that i have talked to people about on a different form(i think u can see my forms with the pics on my profile ). in the form we identified that i did need a main sail. i was told it is rigged for racing or to put up and down two jibs at once. now my next question is do I have to get a specific sail to be able to use with the so called racing stuff? i dont need a fancy expensive main sail. so is it possible just to get one of the used sails from bacon sails amd still fit the rigging? any one have any experience with doing this? thanks
Waveracer200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 20:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: boat rigged for racing ? need new main sail.

Sounds like the racing stuff is a foil with two slots and two jib halyards so you can raise two jibs at once. Saves having to go bald headed while you drop one sail and raise another. That shouldn't have anything to do with the main.

Should have a halyard for the main with the tail on the stbd side of the mast. Boom should have blocks and cleats on the side to haul down the clue when you reef. The number of blocks will tell whether boom is set up for 1, 2, or 3 reef points. Not a big deal as you can add or cheek blocks if you have more reef points on the new sail than old or just not use the blocks if you fewer reef points on your new sail. Should be a stainless pig tail or hook at the goose neck to hook the reef tacks into. As long as you can find a sail with the proper hoist and foot length, a used sail will work. Really depends on how long you plan on keeping the boat. Unless you find a nearly new sail, you'll be buying a sail that has already had some of it's service life used up.

If you go new, give Mack sails a call. They made my sails for about 1/3rd less than the local sail makers.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racing, sail