Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-01-2014, 13:46   #31
cruiser

Re: Boat Registration

What laws have I broken? I am the average cruiser, who prefers not to have my rights violated while at home. Plus I'm not bagging on the cops because I almost never deal with them. I guess I almost forgot that no post goes without a few people who will argue about nothing.

Old 09-01-2014, 14:08   #32

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
What laws have I broken? I am the average cruiser, who prefers not to have my rights violated while at home. Plus I'm not bagging on the cops because I almost never deal with them. I guess I almost forgot that no post goes without a few people who will argue about nothing.
Not arguing. You stated you lie to the cops, but yet you are law abiding. If what you said is true, I would postulate that you have broken the following Florida law (but, I'm not a lawyer):

328.58 - Reciprocity of nonresident or alien vessels. :: 2013 Florida Statutes :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Quote:
2013 Florida Statutes
TITLE XXIV - VESSELS
Chapter 328 - VESSELS: TITLE CERTIFICATES; LIENS; REGISTRATION
Part II - VESSEL REGISTRATION (ss. 328.40-328.80)
328.58 - Reciprocity of nonresident or alien vessels.

Universal Citation: FL Stat § 328.58 (2013)
328.58 Reciprocity of nonresident or alien vessels.—The owner of any vessel already covered by a registration number in full force and effect which has been awarded by:
(1) Another state pursuant to a federally approved numbering system of another state;
(2) The United States Coast Guard in a state without a federally approved numbering system; or
(3) The United States Coast Guard for a federally documented vessel with a valid registration in full force and effect from another state,

shall record the number with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles prior to operating, using, or storing the vessel on the waters of this state in excess of the 90-day reciprocity period provided for in this chapter. Such recordation shall be pursuant to the procedure required for the award of an original registration number, except that no additional or substitute registration number shall be issued if the vessel owner maintains the previously awarded registration number in full force and effect.
History.—s. 1, ch. 59-399; s. 1, ch. 65-361; s. 6, ch. 84-184; s. 57, ch. 96-413; s. 16, ch. 99-289; s. 25, ch. 2009-86.
Note.—Former s. 371.081; s. 327.16.

Old 09-01-2014, 14:18   #33
cruiser

Well your a real stickler for details, since when is lying to the cops illegal? Ask me no questions I'll tell you no lies. My generation has a general dislike of cops. Their mostly corrupt bullies. You may feel differently.
Old 09-01-2014, 14:41   #34

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Well your a real stickler for details, since when is lying to the cops illegal? Ask me no questions I'll tell you no lies. My generation has a general dislike of cops. Their mostly corrupt bullies. You may feel differently.
If I had to guess, I would say it is against the law to lie to the cops.

What I was referring to is the law you're breaking by not registering your vessel in Florida after being here 90+ days.

You can't make the claim of being a 'law abiding cruiser' and then admit to breaking the law. One contradicts the other, I don't care what generation you are. Just because you haven't been caught doesn't make it legal. You haven't been caught because the law is difficult to enforce, which you proved by lying to the cops.

It's fine with me if you want to run the risk, but as you infer, if in fact your vessel is considered an antique by Florida statute, I'm willing to bet the fine for not registering would pay for many years of antique vessel registration.

So what's the point?
Old 09-01-2014, 15:59   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

One important point, if the boat is foreign flagged the 90 day rule is dropped.

Nice the super rich do not need to comply with tax laws that hit (most) of the rest of us.
Old 09-01-2014, 16:54   #36

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
One important point, if the boat is foreign flagged the 90 day rule is dropped.

Nice the super rich do not need to comply with tax laws that hit (most) of the rest of us.

So every owner of a foreign vessel is super rich? Hmmm, must remind myself of this!

Seriously, not sure what charges apply but am sure they will be paying one way or another.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:31   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
If I had to guess, I would say it is against the law to lie to the cops.
In Florida, it is. See state statute 837.05 - False reports to law enforcement authorities, and state statute 837.055 - False information to law enforcement during investigation.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:19   #38
cruiser

Gee you guys should get some tickets to the policeman's ball. Such honorable patriotic gents.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:48   #39

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

Why are you being so defensive HH? I don't get it.

I consistently drive (with traffic) at 5mph over the speed limit. If someone were to tell me that I'm violating the law, I wouldn't get all defensive about it.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:47   #40
cruiser

Good point, all this cruising (doing nothing all day) gives me the time. For the last 4 years running, I have never once looked at CF during my summer break, just to busy with life for a net debate. Know one here ever agrees on anything, including when it's appropriate to lie to cops.

Tags
registration

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: