Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-01-2014, 11:21   #16

Re: Boat Registration

bump..

Old 08-01-2014, 04:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.D. View Post
Dive...Where did you pay the tax on the boat?
Well...

Old 08-01-2014, 06:47   #18

Well... Maybe he chooses not to answer. Or maybe he just hasn't been back in the last couple of days. Maybe he got the answer he was looking for, and isn't interested in this thread anymore. Whatever the case, repeatedly bumping this thread probably isn't going to help.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:15   #19

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Dive, I don't know if this helps, but I just renewed my USCG Documentation for 2014 and the renewal document, which I e-mailed to the NVDC as an attachment and had an acknowledgement the next day, has a statement at the bottom the it will serve as proof that documentation has been applied for until the actual document arrives. This would only be necessary if your actual Certificate of Documentation does not arrive prior to the expiration date. George
Old 08-01-2014, 07:32   #20

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Gentlemen & Ladies, I am probably beating a dead horse here, but has anyone considered setting up a LLC corporation in a state that has no sales tax and then registering the boat to that corporation. I have all of my boats registered in Montana, no sales tax / no property tax on boats / small initial registration fee / no recurring registration fee (reregister every 3 years) / trailers are issued a permanent plate one-time. The cost to maintain the corporation is a once a year annual report with a fee of $10. Then all one has to do is be aware of the individual state registration requirements for out of state boats and don't violate them. Be sure to maintain documentation that you have had the boat out of the state within the stated time frame. Works for me!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
Then all one has to do is be aware of the individual state registration requirements...
This is the problem. If you want to spend more than 90 days in Florida, sorry, they are going to demand taxes and registration. Some states don't even give you that much time.

Not to mention the fact that there seems to be a bit of a "can't see the forest for the trees" problem here. The idea of buying a boat is to be able to enjoy the boat. If you spend all of your time worrying about how long you can stay and when you have to move on, I think you're kind of missing the point. Go where you want to go. Stay as long as you want to stay. If that means you have to pay some taxes, then pay them. Otherwise, why bother?
Old 08-01-2014, 13:49   #22
cruiser

The Florida 90 day thing isn't that big a deal, they really don't keep tabs on you. The first time I have to deal with a water cop, I lie and say I just got here, no mater if I've been around for 2 months. Some years I never deal with the authorities. You could probably spend 2 months in 5 different places and be fine. And if you really did need to register in FL, anything old gets a $7 antique registration. I personally won't register here unless I start leaving the boat in wet storage for my off season. If I hauled I wouldn't bother.
Old 08-01-2014, 14:17   #23

Seriously? Wow.
Old 08-01-2014, 15:31   #24
cruiser

Boat Registration

Wow what? It's not like I don't have valid state registration for the boat and dink . If you keep moving what's the issue?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:13   #25

You really have to ask? Okay, well, whatever.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:19   #26
cruiser

Denver what's your issue? I spend much time in FL and rarely ever get even talked to by any sort of law enforcement. Plus I spend a ton of money here, this year I paid sales tax on a 12k engine. So I am truly interested in what your issue is. They don't even know your here most of the time. And it's the one jerky sheriff that bothers you about sewage laws that may ask how long you've been around. If you tell him 89 days he might come back tomorrow and bust your balls again. Is it really needed? No. And I doesn't happen much, so I don't get what your issue is.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:41   #27

My daddy taught me a long time ago that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. So I'm not going to say anything more.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:51   #28
cruiser

Please explain, I don't get what your problem is. Why don't you have anything nice to say? Have I somehow offended you? I am a law abiding cruiser, I don't pollute, and pay my way. But you still seem bent for some reason.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:54   #29
cruiser

I'll go further and say that I'm exactly the kind of cruiser that Florida needs and wants. You sir are confusing and it's infuriating.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:02   #30

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
The Florida 90 day thing isn't that big a deal, they really don't keep tabs on you. The first time I have to deal with a water cop, I lie and say I just got here, no mater if I've been around for 2 months. Some years I never deal with the authorities. You could probably spend 2 months in 5 different places and be fine. And if you really did need to register in FL, anything old gets a $7 antique registration. I personally won't register here unless I start leaving the boat in wet storage for my off season. If I hauled I wouldn't bother.
Quote:
Please explain, I don't get what your problem is. Why don't you have anything nice to say? Have I somehow offended you? I am a law abiding cruiser, I don't pollute, and pay my way. But you still seem bent for some reason.
Slight contradiction?

Quote:
I'll go further and say that I'm exactly the kind of cruiser that Florida needs and wants. You sir are confusing and it's infuriating.
Not according to FL lawmakers.

Tags
registration

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: