Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2016, 10:36   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Re: Boat partnership for major blue water sailing

Seasickness can be a horrible experience. My wife is one of the few people I have known who does not get seasick. Normally (as you probably know) you bite the bullet for 24 hours until you get your sea legs, although I do know people who don't get over it but they are rare. That can be a miserable 24 hours. Staying above and steering helps.
I have a Bruce Roberts Steel Mauritius 43 in B'ham that I would consider a partnership in but it needs another 50G's to refit. Is now on the hard at Colony Wharf. Very well built in Bellingham. Wouldn't mind moving her around the world to charter locally between runs. Not interested in blue water cruising myself.
Crewing ideas above sound good as long as your cronies are like-minded.
Good luck with your venture.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 10:46   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"She is pretty much terrified of the idea of being offshore. "
I have a long-time dear friend who has no problem coming daysailing, managed exactly once to work up the nerve to go snorkeling, but generally refuses to get near any kind of big water. It took a couple of years to find out that when when was 16-17, she got caught in the waves at a popular beach and her good friends thought she was just clowning around, while she was trying not to drown.
A little thing like that can stay with you for a long long time. So we do many things together, but oceans are not one of them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 10:54   #18

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Makes me wonder...the people that do not want to lose site of land...do they know something we do not?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 10:55   #19

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

Hi I have my Beneteau 44cc almost ready for a CircumNav in Aug 2016 starting from south of Ireland. I have a good few crew lined up but only 1 who says he will last the whole trip. Im also 60 just about to retire and cant wait to get going. Send me a private message and we can meet on skype. I just love sailing and I am not looking to sell a half share in my boat. My trip is fully funded as is. Im not sure how far I will get but we will start from Cork and keep going from place to place until something stops us . I estimate we could be on the water for about 4 years if all goes well. We are crewed up for the Atlantic as is but our route has us in the Caribbean twice so if you joined us there you could circumnavigate. Its now or never for me and I bought the boat a few years ago specifically for this trip. She has already been around once and is very well equipped.
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 12:20   #20

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy98245 View Post
I am one of those who would love to sail around the world but have a wife who gets easily seasick and has no interest in being aboard for weeks and months at a time. However, she is very supportive of me doing long distance trips. We moved to the Pacific Northwest because of the amazing boating in protected waterways and it has worked excellently for her.

My dilemma is that I can't justify spending the money on a serious blue water cruiser when I can only use it a few months at a time. So, I would like a partner. But most partnership arrangements are for boating locally.

Does anyone have any idea how I would go about finding this kind of arrangement? I would consider doing the World ARC as I was aboard a sailboat for three months that was on the same route from the Caribbean to Tahiti and liked how that rally worked. I'm an experienced blue water sailor with over 35,000 sea miles and experienced in all aspects of trip planning, preparation and execution of long distance crossings.

While it's not necessary for me to circumnavigate, I would love to get back to the S. Pacific and do the milk run. I'm 60, physically fit, but feel the clock ticking for this type of adventure.

Serious responses very much appreciated!
Lets talk. I've been single handing and, it's been too much offshore in weather, a Bermuda 40 off Cape Lookout... sleep is a necessity I've learned the hard way ! I am currently considering another B40 in San Francisco bay with the intent of a circumnavigation... and would welcome a partner, or even two or three !! Give a buzz anytime (currently skiing in Santa Fe NM) so evenings are better...
520 241 8616 cell
Steve Gilbert
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 07:13   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

helpful hint about searching for partnership on a bwc...you will need to invest before any kind of PARTNERSHIP happens, so if you cannot afford a bwc,you cannot afford to partner someones home.
chartering or crew position will be easier to come by.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 21:10   #22

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Yes, the Reliefband does also work. I have one and can say their best quality is that they work even after getting seasick.

The reality is that my wife's sea sickness is only part of the problem. She is pretty much terrified of the idea of being offshore.
Well, a ReliefBand won't help that. Here is an entirely different possible approach to making both of you happy: Buy a charter yacht with a company such as Sunsail or Moorings that has bases all around the world. You can sail your own boat or any other boat in their fleets. That means that you can fly to French Polynesia and sail to Raiatea, Tahaa, and Bora Bora without having to sail across the Pacific to get there. Never out of sight of land. Or fly to Seychelles, or Greece, or Thailand, and sail there without having to sail across any oceans. Or start in BVI and sail down the Caribbean island chain. All of these are always in sight of land, either the island you just left or the one you are going to or both. This might be big enough to satisfy you, and limited enough to make your wife happy. And you can do it together.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 22:20   #23

Thank you for a very thoughtful reply. The problem is that what I really enjoy is the whole voyage planning and prep and the long distance, open ocean sailing. It's seeing an island appear on the horizon after weeks at sea. It's the roll of the waves under the boat day and night. . .
sailguy98245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 23:27   #24

Quote:
Thank you for a very thoughtful reply. The problem is that what I really enjoy is the whole voyage planning and prep and the long distance, open ocean sailing. It's seeing an island appear on the horizon after weeks at sea. It's the roll of the waves under the boat day and night. . .
I can dig it.
Old 18-02-2016, 00:12   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Well, a ReliefBand won't help that. Here is an entirely different possible approach to making both of you happy: Buy a charter yacht with a company such as Sunsail or Moorings that has bases all around the world. You can sail your own boat or any other boat in their fleets. That means that you can fly to French Polynesia and sail to Raiatea, Tahaa, and Bora Bora without having to sail across the Pacific to get there. Never out of sight of land. Or fly to Seychelles, or Greece, or Thailand, and sail there without having to sail across any oceans. Or start in BVI and sail down the Caribbean island chain. All of these are always in sight of land, either the island you just left or the one you are going to or both. This might be big enough to satisfy you, and limited enough to make your wife happy. And you can do it together.
Except BVI to St. Martin LOL
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 07:08   #26

Boat: Hans Christian 48T 57

I am bring my HC 48T to New Orleans from North California. If you would be interested in doing all or part of that with me lets talk.

G Arnold
garnold3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 22:23   #27

Still up for a partnership? I would be.
Your post sounds a lot like one I just put out on this forum.
I'm originally from the NW (Spokane, WA) but now call Temecula, CA home.

I got $150k to put toward a boat, am 54 and in excellent physical condition. Read my post here for more info.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ls-176500.html
Reagrds,
chalupo
chalupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 00:11   #28

Interesting post. We're about a year away from buying a boat and cruising when I retire. However, the plan is to be "commuter cruisers" versus live-aboards. The current plan is to position the boat in the Caribbean, cruise seasonally then put the boat in a hurricane hole or on the hard for part of the year. I've often thought if the logistics issues could be figured out, a partnership for commuter cruisers with each partner taking the boat for part of the year, would be ideal. I'm not sure that would work with what you have in mind but feel free to post comments, or contact me directly if you'd care to discuss it.

-Jim
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 18:14   #29
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

The answer to your wife's sea sickness problem is to start sailing catamarans. In 7 years I've only had 3 people get sea sick.

It may not be what your looking for.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ip-174950.html
Old 12-12-2016, 07:12   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
The current plan is to position the boat in the Caribbean, cruise seasonally then put the boat in a hurricane hole or on the hard for part of the year.
Jim, have you considered buying a boat in the Sunsail or Moorings fleet? My wife and I did this before I was fully retired and it worked out wonderfully. We sailed charter boats from various bases in the Caribbean or other parts of the world for 10-12 weeks a year. There was none of the hassle of private boat ownership--no repairs to pay for, no insurance, no dockage. Just get on a clean boat with fuel and water tanks filled, sail it, then turn it in dirty and empty and fly home.

Tags
blue water sailing, partnership, sail, sailing, water