Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2012, 13:24   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.

Changed the name to Sisu. Great name with a lot of meaning to me. Now I am thinking the water goddesses want me to change her name to Catch A Wave. A lot more meaning to me and apparently the water goddesses too.
Old 17-11-2012, 13:25   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473
We named our first boat Tomorrow, because we were always going sailing tomorrow. Our current boat came with the name Smart Move, we felt this fit as this is the boat we have retired too and are within six weeks of sailing off into the sunset! Geez, boat projects take so much longer than I anticipated!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 13:35   #18

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Named our CM 32 after out Maltese, Sugar Bee. Named our second Maltese after our boat, Clipper.

You have 256 posts and no boat yet?????

Cut It Out! Every garage sale Saturday will have a sailboat or two. Get your feet wet. My first summer of sailing, I purchased 3. You don't have to start with the biggest boat in the marina, but you have to start somewhere.
Old 17-11-2012, 14:12   #19

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

My first boat was named after my two cats Just and Cause (just 'cause they were cats) the boat name was actually slightly change to Just Tawz. Second boat I kept the original name "Kliener Bar" and the third I named from new, Seduction and the dinghy was named Procurer for Seduction. Next boat will have a name reflecting how I feel about my life style.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 14:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Named our CM 32 after out Maltese, Sugar Bee. Named our second Maltese after our boat, Clipper.

You have 256 posts and no boat yet?????

Cut It Out! Every garage sale Saturday will have a sailboat or two. Get your feet wet. My first summer of sailing, I purchased 3. You don't have to start with the biggest boat in the marina, but you have to start somewhere.
Let me rephrase that. I don't currently own a cruiser. I've owned quite a few boats, but only own a runabout at the moment. I don't own a cruiser right now, which is what we are on the search for. I was a beach cat owner for many years. I have owned some unique cats, like a Trac 16, which was very rare.

Our runabout is quite rare too. It's a 15' 1965 Cobia with a 60 hp Mercruiser I/O. Quite sweet if your into very rare items.

James L
Old 17-11-2012, 15:37   #21

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I really enjoy good boat names, but names that have to be explained are a PITA. Also, ones that are hard to make out on radio.
I guess it doesn't really matter if you're a local waters only, weekend sailor.

I've seen a few names around that I've thought are quite clever. One was "Sailbad the Sinner".
Another was "Secret Men's Business". You may have to be an Aussie to appreciate that one.

Our boat is "Wind Wanderer". We're full time live aboard and it's what we do. When we bought the boat it was 'Mavorrnin'. EVERY time we said it on radio we had to repeat it or spell it out. Totally ridiculous

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 15:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I really enjoy good boat names, but names that have to be explained are a PITA. Also, ones that are hard to make out on radio.
I guess it doesn't really matter if you're a local waters only, weekend sailor.

I've seen a few names around that I've thought are quite clever. One was "Sailbad the Sinner".
Another was "Secret Men's Business". You may have to be an Aussie to appreciate that one.

Our boat is "Wind Wanderer". We're full time live aboard and it's what we do. When we bought the boat it was 'Mavorrnin'. EVERY time we said it on radio we had to repeat it or spell it out. Totally ridiculous

Vic
Yes, I agree the boat name over the radio should be indistinguishable. We have one (or I do) that would definitely fit our personalities, and wouldn't need to be spelled out. Sorry not sharing it though.

James L
Old 17-11-2012, 16:55   #23

Our boat is named Mahina Kai ( moon over sea) it took us so much time to come up with the name we have kept it for all our boats since. Without the 1,2,3... I don't know why people do that we are not keeping score.

There is no problem changing the boats name, the first step is simply to ask her if she minds changing her name, and if she likes the new name. In our case the previous name was pretty lame, so she didn't not object.
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 17:37   #24

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Keep it short, one word is best, easy to pronounce and understand over the radio, skip the stupid puns, skip the inside jokes you will have to explain a thousand times. I tend to think of my boat as part of the family, so I like a name that evokes something pleasant and inspiring. I love the classic names like Wanderer, Seraffyn, Alerion, Stormy Weather, Dorade, Windward Passage, and Iolaire.
Old 17-11-2012, 18:03   #25

I've got 8" lettering welded onto the transom. That sucker ain't getting changed so it's a good thing I like "Oceana"

My previous boat was named "Sea Note" which I thought was "almost" clever and I just really hated it. We named it "Ra" after the Egyptian god of the sun and it was also "Ruth & Aaron" Too clever by half and still nobody got it and we had to spell it on the radio all the time. I did like saying "Romeo Alpha Over" though, that was kinda fun.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 18:11   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

When I fell in love with the boat, I also fell in love with the name….. never even thought of changing it as it is so much a part of what we like to do after sunset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset Busuanga.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	49884  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 18:31   #27

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

I haven't formally named mine yet. I was going to go with Second Chance, but that is one of those over-used names out there. Almost as bad as Second Wind, which is what the PO named her.

Now, I'm thinking of going with something more original, and personal.
Old 17-11-2012, 18:40   #28

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
Think carefully before going with something cutesy or smart ass. And remember that a lot of the time the name may have to be repeated. Do you really want to repeat Boola Boola three times in succession?
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 18:43   #29

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Three don'ts:

Something hard to spell or pronounce (Diffwys)
Something profane (#*+@@)
Something silly (Rubber Ducky)
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 18:44   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Think carefully before going with something cutesy or smart ass. And remember that a lot of the time the name may have to be repeated. Do you really want to repeat Boola Boola three times in succession?
I hate to say it, but repeating Boola Boola three times is much better than My Dixie Wrecked.

James L

Tags
boat names